Just to let you guys know if you haven't seen them yet...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyJoe

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, in case you haven't seen Lee (aka Louisianacook - who I haven't seen post in quite a while) is selling two amazing knives over in the ITK forum. One is one of the 20 special edition Doi yanagis that Darkhoek raves about that Korin did a special run on a while back, and the other is a a 240 custom Carter gyuto with a Fish handle and saya. YES A FISH HANDLE AND SAYA!!! Obviously this is something that will come on the market only once a decade or so, so if someone out there wants something really special, you should go check them out.

I already have a Carter with Fish handle....and you will have to pry it out of my cold dead hand before I relinquish it.

I already have a Carter with Fish handle....and you will have to pry it out of my cold dead hand before I relinquish it.

Ha! Exactly why you won't see something like that come on the market very often!

Is a carter sfgz really worth 1200$I have not seen carter's prices lately,did they go up that much.

As much as I like the Doi, I cant explain my fiance why we have 3 yanagibas and just make sushi once a week :S

I think it is the sentimental value of the fish handle and saya. Unless there is a difference between carters Japan vs US knives.

lol :)
Cant buy another :)
I really dont believe there will be another knifepurchase this year at all :)

A HG in 285mm is $610.06, so how much is the Fish handle and saya worth?

A HG in 285mm is $610.06, so how much is the Fish handle and saya worth?

$589.94

A new handle and saya from someone else would probably be in the $300 range, so there is some markup for the Fish version. I do not think he has marked it up astronomically. Only so many Fish handles and sayas out there, and people seem to guard them with their lives, let alone sell them.

It doesnt really look like he wants to sell them, so he also prob marked them up a bit so that he would get full value for himself if they did sell.

Agreed. I don't think the price is unreasonable. If he HAD to sell at any cost he might let it go for $1k, which would probably be what most considered more reasonable. Remember, Carter very rarely makes anything that long that isn't a custom, so the cost of the knife includes the cost of the +/- 1.5 year wait, then throw in the Fish handle and saya, which obviously aren't available anymore, and Fish being the "grandfather" so to speak of the custom handle market that we have in this community, as well as having been one of us... put all that history together, and add scarcity, $1200 isn't too much to ask IMO... unfortunately I couldn't afford a quarter of that right now. :(

I wonder if that Doi is worth $1000?

The Doi 80th anniversary knives that were made in just 5 numbered pieces each were originally sold for $900, so comparing to these knives it is probably slightly overpriced. However, I believe that the lucky few that got the Doi 80th anniversary knives got the deal of the century as they had blue #1 and white #1 hagane and were sold at only $100 more than a regular Doi Hayate.

DarkHOeK

Latest posts

Back