Kaeru 210mm Stainless Gyuto help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to purchase a beginner stainless steel Gyuto for one of my family members as a gift.

I have set my eyes on a 210mm kaeru. But I do have few other questions that I haven’t find the answer for yet, please help me here!

1. How much flat spot does it have?
2. How’s the edge retention?

Thank you all!

I have a 240. Edge retention is very good. I usually give family members who are not into knives gesshin stainless.

Gesshin stainless is very nice. Both the western and the Japanese handled ones I’ve given to friends and family. It’s a great beginner knife, pretty thin, nice usable profile, good durability.

The Suisin Western Inox merits a look as well. IMO the Gesshin is the better knife but the Suisin looks nicer. And there are more models in the line to make up a "set". Sometimes important characteristics to the great unwashed.

https://www.korin.com/HSU-INGY-210

Certainly not taking anything away from the Kaeru.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave! I am planning on redo the handle to add a little bit more personal touch to it. At this moment I only know how to do wahandles lol. So I probably will pass on this one.

Hello ! Do you think Ghessin stainless is better than Misono or Tojiro ?

This is my 210 Kaeru after I removed the fauxnogi line. It is a fantastic knife. Tough, easy to maintain and holds an edge. Mine cut better than my Yoshikane SKD. It is a stripped down, no frills knife.
Kaeru.JPG

I'd probably gift the Gesshin wa-gyuto because of the more durable handle, saya and Jon's excellent packaging and gift wrapping.
Kaeru is a better knife, but that Gesshin wa-gyuto was designed to be gifted...

Last edited:
Hello ! Do you think Ghessin stainless is better than Misono or Tojiro ?

Maybe for the same price, but Misono and Tojiro also make more expensive knives that are better than the Gesshin stainless e.g. Misono UX-10 and Tojiro R2.

To go has the tanaka vg10 western 210 for a little over 100. I cant think of a better knife for the price. Tanakas vg10 is awesome BTW, super esay to sharpen, with really good edge retention, and though as f**k.

So if I had to take a 210 gyuto for around 100$, I should go with Tanaka?

I have had both the Kaeru and Tanaka. The Kaeru has the better profile, the SLD is tougher. the tanaka vg10 has the edge on both edge retention and feel on stones. The grind on the Tanaka is more even, the kaeru more right bias.

In a usage perspective, the Kaeru is awesome if you are whacking on poly boards all day busy work environment, it can handle a lot of abuse. The Tanaka is more pleasurable to use overall, less wedging, smoother cutting.

Interesting. For me edge holding was better on Kaeru vs Tanaka VG10.
I think at the end of the day YMMV because everyone has diffrent cutting techniques and cutting boards using diffrent stones etc etc. But I thinknI'd easily recommend both

Kaeru is the best bang for the buck out there. Maxim put some thought into this line when he replaced Itinomonn. Round the spine and choil, different handle, a little thinner behind the edge? He could easily get double the money. Shape rocks

So the Kaeru in sales right now seems to be a killer deal... Why are those still here?

The price is great though and condition seem good too. Stuff that is available is always hard to sell, but if Maksim drops them then you will see everyone running around looking for one and saying how these were the best knives ever....:LOL:

I just sold a Kaeru 210mm on here.
I've used them in a commercial kitchen.They are a tough knife.Edge retention is great.They are easy to sharpen as well.I use a 2000 Shapton pro stone on them.
Cheers

This is my 210 Kaeru after I removed the fauxnogi line. It is a fantastic knife. Tough, easy to maintain and holds an edge. Mine cut better than my Yoshikane SKD. It is a stripped down, no frills knife.
View attachment 71807

I'd probably gift the Gesshin wa-gyuto because of the more durable handle, saya and Jon's excellent packaging and gift wrapping.
Kaeru is a better knife, but that Gesshin wa-gyuto was designed to be gifted...
How did you remove the fauxnogi?

Back