Kaeru!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 600 grit wet sandpaper followed by a polish with fine steel wool. I rounded the spine and choil a little more too. Took me about 20min.

I'm sure I could feel a bit of drag from the blasted satin finish. Quite noticeable when halving onions.

That does look way better. Thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know whether all the 210s have the bigger/wider tang that goes into the handle. I kinda like the way the 240 looks on the website but i am eyeing a 210.

I used 600 grit wet sandpaper followed by a polish with fine steel wool. I rounded the spine and choil a little more too. Took me about 20min.

I'm sure I could feel a bit of drag from the blasted satin finish. Quite noticeable when halving onions.

Is there any difference at food release with that new finish?

Is there any difference at food release with that new finish?

Hard to say as I haven't used it much since refinishing. We're having a quiet week while our kitchen gets refurbished. This morning I cut 15kg of potatoes for gratin (I hate mandolines!) and food release was brilliant.

Hard to say as I haven't used it much since refinishing. We're having a quiet week while our kitchen gets refurbished. This morning I cut 15kg of potatoes for gratin (I hate mandolines!) and food release was brilliant.

I had to try it too. Just 5 minutes with sandpaper and it already looks ten times better.

you're nuts, slicing potato for gratin is one of the few tasks i actually do use mandoline :D or hobart slicing machine for big batches.

I'll use a mandolin for chips, but other than that I avoid them.

Frogzilla~~
5ULdlpk.jpg

i have a 240 on loan and i gotta say it's da best under $200 knife i've come across. solid all around, ground pretty thin too. that cosmetic faux wide bevel is really ugly tho, lol

Definitely agree. I was expecting something like a wa handle Misono/Masahiro but this is so much better!

The guys at work love the 150 petty. I think they're ordering another. It's a bit too beefy for me though. I prefer my 150 Ginga.

Just wanted to revisit this - I broke out the stones this weekend and thinned/sharpened the 240 and it turned out great. Probably a total of an hour put into it between thinning, sharpening, and then sanding. Rounded spine and choil ever so slightly, and the faux wide bevel polished right out neatly. Also the steel took a very keen edge. No more carrot splitting/cracking. Really a heck of a value here in my opinion. And aesthetics are very easy to get around. Frankly, I think this would be a perfect knife project for someone who is afraid to really dive deep into sharpening, thinning, etc. on a “fancy” knife.

I’ve been interested in their 150 Petty. I really want to try JNS and Maxim out for the first time. So far Jon @JKI and Bernal Cutlery have been exceptional.

I've been looking at the Kaeru 240 gyuto and I think I want to pull the trigger. The only problem is that I can't find a saya for it on the website or anywhere on JNS where I might get a custom one made. Not having a saya is definitely a dealbreaker for me, as I'd like to take it to work and back.

Am I just being a noob or is it not possible to get a saya without making it myself or mailing my knife off for a couple weeks?

You can make a cardboard saya or get a plastic edge guard cheap if you need to transport your Kaeru.

Fair enough. That could work temporarily but I suppose it's make my own or ship it off for a long-term solution? I know it's a relatively cheap knife and all and I'd use it for a beater, but I believe in taking extra good care of cheap things that may not be made as well as more expensive stuff.

Jon makes excellent sayas, I have a few of my knives there getting fitted. The tapered style he offers fits knives like a glove and is very reasonably priced.

Maksim posted on Instagram that there's an updated Kaeru on the way. False wide bevel is gone which will please many I'd imagine.

He replied under the Instagram post that if you order one now you'll get a new one.

Back