Kaji-Bei SS Clad Migaki: pitting or process residue?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModRQC

Just shutup n' grabbit!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vendor says they're all like that.

60E6962D-16B8-45C1-8938-AF6165D6AD3F.jpeg
EC0AEB0E-2A09-4B98-8E39-9E1C36DE2088.jpeg

Right side I would have shrugged off as "birth defects" indeed.

Left side looks like pitting a lot. Only thing is there's no roughness or anything to be felt there. Like it was there before the final polish from the maker and got all smooth like the rest.

In anyone's experience with that specific finish from the maker, did you find something of the kind?

And what do you guys think? Can this be like hot dust got embedded or something in the making process?

Thanks!

I've seen the same thing show up on my semi-stainless Garasuki after sitting unused for awhile, 3+ months. I think it's a patina? It comes off with some baking soda and lemon juice paste.

I've seen the same thing show up on my semi-stainless Garasuki after sitting unused for awhile, 3+ months. I think it's a patina? It comes off with some baking soda and lemon juice paste.

I've seen almost the same thing happen with 1.4110 or AEB-L in a blade guard. But you could feel it with a finger that the area was rough - and it had a more brownish hue. No question about these, and not surprised to see some stainless do that with rougher polishes. However OOTB I've never seen a SS clad arrive this way. And as I said the area is just as smooth as the whole thing. Yet again it does resemble what you mention and I've also seen.

Thanks for your reply!

I've seen almost the same thing happen with 1.4110 or AEB-L in a blade guard. But you could feel it with a finger that the area was rough - and it had a more brownish hue. No question about these, and not surprised to see some stainless do that with rougher polishes. However OOTB I've never seen a SS clad arrive this way. And as I said the area is just as smooth as the whole thing. Yet again it does resemble what you mention and I've also seen.

Thanks for your reply!
Was probably wedged against something for quite awhile, like the knife in a blade guard. Probably a small amount of moisture? 🤷‍♂️

What I can’t explain myself is absence of texture to it. Clearly distinguishes pitting otherwise. No absolute just my experience. Now I could try real simple things to see about it, but I want to see what the vendor says to me and try not to mess with the blade in the meanwhile.

I would guess the lack of answers here correlates with most people thinking I’m stupid and refuse to see the obvious but I could send the knife back - vendor agrees. Just if the next unit presents with similar symptoms it’s a waste of time I’ll keep this one.

I really think there’s something odd to this - lack of texture, and the right side areas look more like something that happened in the making process, without much of any usual pitting marks to be seen (more like linear darkened scratched) and the left side has the same darkened scratches effect but with a clear pitting pattern there. Smooth still.

I feel it’s a waste of time to refuse the knife if it’s something « normal » (that could happen with some carelessness in the making), but weaker still to accept a pitted knife if there’s no monetary compensation to the faults.

Simple option: refusing it. Clearly I don’t want to. Want to use it. But I get the point.

Back