Kama Usuba options.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perverockstar

Reaction score
Hello there.

I'm gonna need a Kama Usuba soon. I already have experience with single beveled knives, katsuramagi, tsuma and other sushi bar tasks beside fish.

Most of the time is gonna be hands on work, but I'll still use it on a cutting board for fine slicing veggies and herbs.

For size I guess I'm gonna go with either 180mm or 195mm . Bigger is not necessary.

I use to have the Mizuno Tanrenjo Ao Hagane DX in my eyes, but it only comes in Blue Stee. But after some serious considerations, talks and investigation, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with White Steel.

Right now I'm considering the Masamoto KS. Any other contender or do you believe that one is already as good as it gets for that price point?

€500 is my limit for this.

I've been looking at some websites and I do not find many contenders.

Honyaki is out of the question. That is not for me.

Thank you

Last edited:
Mizuno Tanrenjo Ao Hagane DX's were blue #1 last I checked.

Masamoto's are to my knowledge well-regarded, and for white steel at that price point it's likely just "take your pick" at your budget. Here's another possibility in your region:
https://korin-france.fr/collections...ngasumi-kamagata-usuba?variant=30232764153944
Or for another Nenohi example, perhaps you might ask the European dealer about local models of this?
https://www.korin.com/HNE-DSHHMKU-195

If your budget is 500 EUR and you're considering getting a bit fancier, maybe you might contact a Sakai Takayuki dealer in Europe and ask them about a 195mm usuba made in the fashion of the Takayuki Byakko white #1 line? (Yanagiba and sakimaru-takohiki examples here.)

It'd be cool to see what you end up getting. Not that many usuba-users on the forum.

Disclosures: I have no experience with any of the knives discussed in my post. All price point discussion in this post is assuming you are righty, though the Nenohi Hongasumi will still be under-budget if you are lefty.

Last edited:
Mizuno Tanrenjo Ao Hagane DX's were blue #1 last I checked.

Thank you for the correction.

I'd look into your suggestions.

Yeah, it seems that Usubas are not very popular knives. But I can understand why, I have a Nakiri it can do some of those tasks, but for tsuma and rotary peeling single bevel is king, IMO. I've been doing it with a Yanagi for many years, but I'm ready to grab the right tool for it.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
I have a question for you though. I'm looking at the Sakai Takayuki knives after you mentioning them and I saw that they have a Kurouchi Sujihiki in Super Blue steel. Do you have any experience with those? I'm also looking for a good Sujihiki with a rustic look.

Actually, right now I'm looking for the Usuba mentioned here, a Sujihiki and a good paring knive.

Thank you.

EDIT: Nevermind, I only find it available in 240mm.

Last edited:
I have a question for you though. I'm looking at the Sakai Takayuki knives after you mentioning them and I saw that they have a Kurouchi Sujihiki in Super Blue steel. Do you have any experience with those? I'm also looking for a good Sujihiki with a rustic look.

Actually, right now I'm looking for the Usuba mentioned here, a Sujihiki and a good paring knive.

Thank you.

EDIT: Nevermind, I only find it available in 240mm.
That I'm afraid I just plain don't know; I have no experience with kurouchi knives of any kind.

Back