Kamikoto knives must be stopped!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the pre-internet days we tended to not even know options that were outside the big, prefabricated bubble that was marketed to our respective region.

Haha in the age of the internet, we have access to all the knowledge we need, but need to be able to filter out fake/disingenuous reviews and advertisements. Oh boy

As if it has really been that different in the print magazine age. OK, there was a financial barrier to entry to complete hot-air players, but it was fish in a barrel to mediocre ones.

That said, the need for filtering is what keeps quality printed cookbooks alive these days :)

They're even advertising on Tinder......impress your future g/f with a classy set of knives. Show them how its really done in the kitchen :rofl2:

Forging, as in “Made falsely especially with intent to deceive” - Merriam-Webster, not me.
There’s certainly a long history of that craft to build on.

Hahaha “forging” that’s hilarious!

Hahahaha this is funny to read. I am just gonna add that, I have been receiving their ads everywhere for a while(which is normal), but very soon my wife start to receive the same thing, then slowly it expanded into my family... basically wherever I go, it follows. I am just hopping that I won’t end up receiving a bunch of them this year for Christmas.

I was curious and had a look at their website.

Look at the botched grind on these masterpieces... :eyebrow:
59A0093_1100x.jpg

A newbie would like to request an explanation of why the grind is botched. I thought grind means the shape of the cross section (as shown in choil shots), which you really can't see in this photo.

Hahahaha this is funny to read. I am just gonna add that, I have been receiving their ads everywhere for a while(which is normal), but very soon my wife start to receive the same thing, then slowly it expanded into my family... basically wherever I go, it follows. I am just hopping that I won’t end up receiving a bunch of them this year for Christmas.
This is why it is important to clear your digital tracks as much as possible.

Also I tell my family members gifts that are not consumable will find a new home in my local landfill.

I am just going to give this thread a bump as Kamikoto knives were recently mentioned by one of our own and described rather positively. So just to warn the others.

I just looked up and read about Kamikoto knives, now will probably get banners & E-Mails too just for searching. Those things are expensive noticed you can get used or like new for much cheaper. Stamped logo on a 500.00 Santoku:O

NOOO!!!! Their ad Just came up on youtube!!! Make it stop!

Incognito mode ftw! Or whatever your preferred browser calls it.

"masters of tradition" love it lol.

All i know from using the internet for many ears is that when a company riddles the product pages of something with quotes/statements/reviews from "professionals" instead of actual specifications of the product being sold then you know its complete sh1t. ALL the warning bells are ringing.

I don't know why everyone thinks that Kamikoto are no good. I saw them on the internet, they have really good reviews:

Here is an absolutely amazing paper cut:

Sigh…

I am just going to give this thread a bump as Kamikoto knives were recently mentioned by one of our own and described rather positively. So just to warn the others.
I own some of these knives. I like them. They were recommended by a James Beard awarded friend. If your opinion of any knife is based on only secondhand info from people that have never owned one, then you have a possibility of being mistaken. Since I own some, and LIKE them, that's all that's necessary for ME. I defend them because I can. I don't ridicule for the sake/fun of it

I own some of these knives. I like them. They were recommended by a James Beard awarded friend. If your opinion of any knife is based on only secondhand info from people that have never owned one, then you have a possibility of being mistaken. Since I own some, and LIKE them, that's all that's necessary for ME. I defend them because I can. I don't ridicule for the sake/fun of it

I think the majority of the"ridicule" is aimed at the deceptive business practice of the company. I personally dislike deception, misrepresentation of product and costs. For me there is enough good stuff out there that I can afford to buy from honest people. If you are unaware of the deception then review this thread and if you still can not see it; then you never will and we will have to agree to disagree.

You really have comments about comments, not about the knives. I, once again, like them. Your not liking the company has no bearing on the quality or value of a knife you've never held

So tell us then, what do you like about them? Because you haven’t given us any details about how sharp they are, their edge retention, ease of sharpening, ergonomics, nothing at all ;)

Or are you just another Kamikoto shill?

You really have comments about comments, not about the knives. I, once again, like them. Your not liking the company has no bearing on the quality or value of a knife you've never held

You either are not capable of understanding my comments or choose to disregard, but you have not answered them. In any case you are not worth my time. Best of luck in your adventures.

So tell us then, what do you like about them? Because you haven’t given us any details about how sharp they are, their edge retention, ease of sharpening, ergonomics, nothing at all ;)

Or are you just another Kamikoto shill?
I'm happy to attempt to be straighforward with you, but you labeling me a shill is not a good start. I have zero interest in selling you any knives. I have said in the "Burfection" thread these knives have good retention and are easy for me to sharpen, as I use edge pro, and occasionally a Ken Onion Worksharp. The knives are all well balanced, but if you are used to wooden handles they might be a bit heavier with hours of use. I retired from 35 years in the kitchen using German steel mostly but I prefer French carbon. I speak through MY experience, so "selling " you or anyone a duck torchon by saying it's great is totally different then setting one in front of your face

I'm happy to attempt to be straighforward with you, but you labeling me a shill is not a good start. I have zero interest in selling you any knives. I have said in the "Burfection" thread these knives have good retention and are easy for me to sharpen, as I use edge pro, and occasionally a Ken Onion Worksharp. The knives are all well balanced, but if you are used to wooden handles they might be a bit heavier with hours of use. I retired from 35 years in the kitchen using German steel mostly but I prefer French carbon. I speak through MY experience, so "selling " you or anyone a duck torchon by saying it's great is totally different then setting one in front of your face

Have you ever used any Japanese knives that are considered to be top tier on this forum? Say, a Watanabe, Ashi Ginga, Konosuke Fujiyama, semi-stainless Heiji, TF, Shigefusa, Kato (Fujiwara Yoshiaki), Hinoura, Kagekiyo, something made by Yoshikazu Ikeda or Yoshikazu Tanaka. I'm sure there are others, but your experience is much more valuable when you have good reference points.

You should be comparing them with good japanese knives, perhaps thats the problem. Kamikoto passes themselves off as elite japanese knives with wild prices, than they give you supposedly a deal of a lifetime. Thats marketing fluff. If most of your experience is with German and French knives that could help explain why you feel so highly about them. Perhaps, its lack of experience with jks and other great western knifd makers?

Have you ever used any Japanese knives that are considered to be top tier on this forum? Say, a Watanabe, Ashi Ginga, Konosuke Fujiyama, semi-stainless Heiji, TF, Shigefusa, Kato (Fujiwara Yoshiaki), Hinoura, Kagekiyo, something made by Yoshikazu Ikeda or Yoshikazu Tanaka. I'm sure there are others, but your experience is much more valuable when you have good reference points.
I agree, and I own none of these knives, surely cannot afford most of them

the Worlds full of followers who just love this kinda stuff! Let them be happy!

You should be comparing them with good japanese knives, perhaps thats the problem. Kamikoto passes themselves off as elite japanese knives with wild prices, than they give you supposedly a deal of a lifetime. Thats marketing fluff. If most of your experience is with German and French knives that could help explain why you feel so highly about them. Perhaps, its lack of experience with jks and other great western knifd makers?
It's futile to continue to justify my "liking" of my Kamikoto knives. I have no need to collect expensive boutique knives or elite Japanese forged knives as I'm out of the business and prep/cook only for two now. I was only trying to point out that judging a knife quality without ever actually used the knife is unproven, no matter how ****** the company or the knife is, as a matter of fact

Last edited:

I agree, and I own none of these knives, surely cannot afford most of them

To be fair, it’s a little too much to say that someone is unable to evaluate Kamikoto knives without having experience with the top tier knives you list. They are not the correct comparison. One should be listing knives in the $80-$150 range, e.g. asking how they compare to a Tojiro DP, a Gesshin Stainless, or something... I mean, a Kamikoto set of three knives is $260 on amazon.

+1 to all the complaints about the business practices, though, of course.

I'm not a kamikoto fan, quite the opposite and that's primarily a result of their marketing technique.

But your point re owning and using them is valid and well taken. Thanks.

Jeeze. I clicked on this thread and immediately got a Facebook ad force this garbage :/.

To be fair, it’s a little too much to say that someone is unable to evaluate Kamikoto knives without having experience with the top tier knives you list. They are not the correct comparison. One should be listing knives in the $80-$150 range, e.g. asking how they compare to a Tojiro DP, a Gesshin Stainless, or something... I mean, a Kamikoto set of three knives is $260 on amazon.

+1 to all the complaints about the business practices, though, of course.
The set is $260 only if you are lucky enough to find them on sale. This is a $1400 set. They HAVE to be good.

Last edited:
Back