• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Kamon Gen2 Production 250mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

Catch / Release of Kamon Production Gen2 250mm.
1.2067 steel.
HRC 62.
55.5mm height.
210g
Very nice spine taper.
Phenomenal food release on this one.
Great flat spot
Very nice defined s-grind and nicely rounded spine.

Mild patina from meal prep (a bag of potatoes, two white onions and a whole bunch of hot peppers)
(I have no simichrome to remove it, but if you wait a few days I'll get some, if you want).

Asking $350

Kamon Gen2 2.jpg

Kamon Gen2 1.jpg

Kamon Gen2 3.jpg

Kamon Gen2 4.jpg

Kamon Gen2 6.jpg

Kamon Gen2 5.jpg

How was gen2? I was not a fan of gen1. From his changes he said though I would assume he has fixed all the issues.
What were your issues with gen1? This gen2 looked so good overall, I'll definitely keep an eye out for the gen3.

Have never held the Gen 1 but was positively surprised by the Gen 2.
Quite some flat spot but also with some curve at the tip if you want to lightly rock.
With the distal taper the tip is thin but still sturdy, works good on onions.
You definitely notice the double hollow grind with food release. Great on paotatoes, sweet potatoes but overall versatile. Everthing nicely rounded.
The handle was a question mark to me before I bought it but it feels really well in hand.
My negative point is the rougher hollow grind which catches moistures and led to rust pitting pretty quickly. Had to start over but when I had a stable patina it was fine.

What were your issues with gen1? This gen2 looked so good overall, I'll definitely keep an eye out for the gen3.
Gen1 had no distal taper and was made with a pretty thick piece of stock so it was pretty chunky throughout, and the example I had didn’t feel like it was thin enough before the hollow. Essentially rendering the hollow useless because it wedged and pushed food away anyway. Those were the two points I was really happy to hear he fixed. I was also excited to see he didn’t use the black finish on the rough ground parts, but it seems that maybe helped a bit.

I think a slight review is appropriate, here are some findings from a home cook who's addicted to Shibata.
- Nice distal taper, then gets thin after s-grind
- Lighter in hand then you'd think, forward balance
- Shorter handle not a problem, tapered and very nice, though handle instal is meh, there's a slight gap (that's filled with glue deeper, but would be nice to be flush)
- Beautiful ting sound
- Aggressive s grind shoulder
- Comes very sharp, arm hair shaving and paper towel cutting sharp.
- Not laser, though s grind is very thin, spine is beefy near heal.
- Tip up sweep is a bit odd to me, but should be great for rocking
- Flat spot is awesome
- Strange very subtle drag through onions possible due to rougher finish, where my shibata and dalman are pretty high polish
- The tip isn't whisper thin, but pretty thin, isn't stupid thin like shibata, but goes through onions very well.
- Food release on big things pretty phenomenal, better then Dalman, I don't remember takeda being this good, but that was long time ago. Possibly due to sharp s grind shoulder and a rougher finish.
- Food release on small green onions is very good but not stellar, a few end up riding all the way to the spine, but only a few and would easily fall if I shake the knife.
- Tall hard stuff like apples wedge some at heal and almost no wedging at tip, but hard to slice hard apples with just tip .. though my dalman has this issue too, and only shibata can ghost hard apples.
- Patina kinda quick, only half hour and already showing stuff, but I'm used to semi or full stainless knives. Haven't had full carbon in years.

Still SPF .. though first-person pulled out and the second person hasn't responded yet.

Back