Kangaroo Leather Strop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to make a strop like this, but getting K-leather in the UK seems really difficult. You can get it off eBay but the postage is as much as the leather which is a bit yikes. IDK if it might get in trouble at customs as well.

What would be the best leather to use instead or does nothing else quite do the job?

I'd like to make a strop like this, but getting K-leather in the UK seems really difficult. You can get it off eBay but the postage is as much as the leather which is a bit yikes. IDK if it might get in trouble at customs as well.

What would be the best leather to use instead or does nothing else quite do the job?
I heard that Horse Butt leather is the next best thing but since I am somewhat of a cowboy who owns horses and loves them,I can not justify using it.So maybe what I would recommend is nice soft chap leather like my chaps are made out of.I think that is from the belly hide of a cow.

I’ve noticed too that shipping in general from Australia (especially through the Australian Postal Corp) is pretty expensive.

And right, I believe the seller must have a special export permit to export ‘roo leather (at least that’s what I heard from the seller before...I could have been totally lied to for all I know....). I got decent quality stuff, so it worked out alright.

For general stropping, I don’t think you really need to go with kangaroo leather. A local leather tooling shops (like Tandy in the US) will often have spare leather section and you can go through them to look for something nice, smooth, and even. I think half the fun is just trying different materials out and see how it works.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed too that shipping in general from Australia (especially through the Australian Postal Corp) is pretty expensive.

And right,I believe the seller must have a special export permit to export ‘roo leather (at least that’s what I heard from the seller before...I could have been totally lied to for all I know....). I got decent quality stuff, so it worked out alright.

For general stripping, I don’t think you really need to go with kangaroo leather. I local leather tooling shops (like Tandy in the US) will often have spare leather section and you can go through them to look for something nice, smooth, and even. I think half the fun is just trying different materials out and see how it works.
This is true.I have friends that just use newspaper to strop on and swear it is better then anything.My first strops were purchased from KnivesPlus on line.They are the" Strop Blocks" with either a green compound or a white compound,which is about 3 microns.Not sure what the green is.But I still use them since they are both made out of good,soft, chap leather.In fact,I keep them in the kitchen where I can touch up my knives on the run.

That bit of leather arrived.

Processed it as instructed by a user on a razor forum (wet, dry, compress with a rolling pin etc) then glued it to some wood I had.

Irritatingly right at the last moment as I was trimming the leather I accidentally put a little scratch in the surface with the Stanley knife (didn't notice the tip of the blade was bent) but I don't think it's disastrous. You can see it along the right half towards the bottom edge.

Going to put some shoe cream on it as advised then ready for use. Pretty happy, scratch aside.
15365123757922004819053.jpg

That bit of leather arrived.

Processed it as instructed by a user on a razor forum (wet, dry, compress with a rolling pin etc) then glued it to some wood I had.

Irritatingly right at the last moment as I was trimming the leather I accidentally put a little scratch in the surface with the Stanley knife (didn't notice the tip of the blade was bent) but I don't think it's disastrous. You can see it along the right half towards the bottom edge.

Going to put some shoe cream on it as advised then ready for use. Pretty happy, scratch aside.View attachment 43084
I like it.That's a nice strop.You did good.

Back