Kanji Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdunn

Reaction score
Hi - hoping someone can help identify the blacksmith of this knife I have been working on. It is about 240mm and 500 grams. Also, if anyone has any suggestions about how to improve it that would be great. It had some large chips that are gone - there is not much belly to it though. I don't know if that should be changed. It is very sharp now - the bevel is about 15 degrees from shinogi line to the edge with no micro bevel - also not sure it that is correct.

Attachments

• IMG-1532.jpg
    IMG-1532.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG-1533.jpg
    IMG-1533.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-1534.jpg
    IMG-1534.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 22
If the frontside (messy work with the characters in the middle) says the same as the backside, then it's

泉源兼光作 (Izumi Minamoto Kanemitsu)

Google gives a lot of hits for that.

The kireha looks a bit uneven towards the heel, but if you get good contact to the edge then it should be fine. If the ura is ok you should have an absolutely massive deba by looks of it ready to go (you can add the koba for improved durability, just don't over shoot it and make it an axe).

If the frontside (messy work with the characters in the middle) says the same as the backside, then it's

泉源兼光作 (Izumi Minamoto Kanemitsu)

Google gives a lot of hits for that.

The kireha looks a bit uneven towards the heel, but if you get good contact to the edge then it should be fine. If the ura is ok you should have an absolutely massive deba by looks of it ready to go (you can add the koba for improved durability, just don't over shoot it and make it an axe).
Thanks for the help! the front kanji is the same. Yes, there was some rust pitting toward the heel on the hira and a bit on the bevel but I worked it out and it is dead flat when on the stones. The ura is in good shape and it sharpens very well now. I took your advise today with a micro Koba and it is a real pleasure to use. I put a handle on it (bocote and rosewood ferrule) and am in the process of making a saya. Thanks again for the input! I am new to this and trying to do it proper. I'll post some picks when all is done.

I thought I had seen something similar in my own to do box. Wonder how the two are related if at all. Don't know if 兼 is missing a stroke there or if it's a different kanji.

IMG_20220213_212138.jpg

Latest posts

Back