Hello
Could someone id this Kanji please

Thank you and have a nice day.

KenHash

Reaction score

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
Hi,

Ok, I am going to ask for the impossible (sorry)! Can anyone tell me anything about this OLD deba I am restoring? Signs are almost invisible, so I am not too hopeful I will get much of an answer. (Better pictures would be nice, yes, but taking pictures of something almost invisible is not easy!).
IMG_1748.jpg
IMG_1754.jpg

At any rate, help is much appreciated!

Cheers
Carl

Carl Kotte

Reaction score
An educated guess is great! Thx
I take the last few days’ silence on this matter to be an indication that no one disagrees with the guess (or at least, that no one has a better hypothesis). (I also suppress the assumption that lack of further posts indicates that no one cares!).... thx!

Ryndunk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Only seen the tojiro kanji on the DP line. Didn't recognize it chiseled.

Last edited:

Tanalasta

Reaction score
Quick question re: Kanji. Does it mean anything in terms of provenance etc... if there is no chiselled kanji (e.g. just the stamp of the type of steel) on the actual blade or tang. Does this imply the blade was made by an unsigned craftsman, apprentice? Or do you just take the word of your retailer re: the smith.

dwalker

Reaction score
Quick question re: Kanji. Does it mean anything in terms of provenance etc... if there is no chiselled kanji (e.g. just the stamp of the type of steel) on the actual blade or tang. Does this imply the blade was made by an unsigned craftsman, apprentice? Or do you just take the word of your retailer re: the smith.
It only means there is no kanji. I've had to specify kanji on some blades ordered from a Japanese vendor otherwise they would arrive unengraved.

SilverSwarfer

Reaction score
Translation help please...

Interested to know about these stamps. What does the kanji say?

Both are Suisin Hayate I. Doi. The older Kengata Yanagiba has the same stamp as the newer Sakimaru Takobiki. The newer stamp is more like a label though, it will disappear in time.

Is this just the “Hayate” mark?

Attachments

dreamwalker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Translation help please...

Interested to know about these stamps. What does the kanji say?

Both are Suisin Hayate I. Doi. The older Kengata Yanagiba has the same stamp as the newer Sakimaru Takobiki. The newer stamp is more like a label though, it will disappear in time.

Is this just the “Hayate” mark?

The stamp 逸 is belong to Itsuo Doi.

SilverSwarfer

Reaction score
Thanks @dreamwalker very much.

I have to say I was a little disappointed the mark is not engraved as is the older knife. Wonder why the switch?

Faster/cheaper is the first thing that comes to my mind. Regardless, the knife is as excellent as I expected.

noulou

Reaction score
Any chance of someone helping me ID these two knives please? I apologise if I am highjacking the thread.

IMG_20191206_084045.jpg IMG_20191206_084337.jpg RDT_20191206_0929332594228561645262371.jpg IMG_20191206_093521.jpg

SilverSwarfer

Reaction score
Need another translation please. Sorry for the photo quality. It’s awful.

I think I see the 3rd character looks like “white?”
still trying! I’m so sorry photos are so bad! Hopefully one of these is legible?

thanks for any help, truly!

Attachments

osakajoe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wholesalers

... probably. Never heard of them