Kanji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khashy

Reaction score
Need some help again.

One of these days I'll start learning to read japanese.

Thanks in advance.
13gcdGWh.jpg

And
J1WVpD5h.jpg

堺光治作

青鋼

Hope that helps.

Google translate should help you there

Translation
Blue steel made by Sakai Koji

I do not know what you mean. I can read the stamp, but I do not personally know the maker. There are many Sakai folks.

I do not know what you mean. I can read the stamp, but I do not personally know the maker. There are many lesser-known Sakai folks.

Yeah, I meant whether you are familiar with the maker.

I was told that this is what the guys in Hide use for the knives that they are unable to mark with the "Hide" stamp. I am told that stamp can only be used through particular retailers.

I was informed that this is the 'Mitsuji' signature. Doesn't read Mutsuji by the looks of it...

Who is "informing" you?

Well, I got in contact with a proxy in Sakai to place a custom order. I then enquired about Hide and this was the answer

Have you asked the relevant parties or their distributors? Seems much better than asking a forum.

You're right. Figured it might be just my ignorance

Sorry if I sounded belligerent, by the way. Was rereading the posts and thought I was a bit rude.

Let us know if you get a confirmation.

Sorry if I sounded belligerent, by the way. Was rereading the posts and thought I was a bit rude.

Let us know if you get a confirmation.

Not at all. I've been reading your posts for long enough on the forum to know better [emoji6]

I'll post back here when I find more info

Figured I’d jump in on a relevant existing thread for some ID assistance. I can’t translate kanji and I want to know what I’ve got exactly. Assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Purchased in 2008. I can’t find my purchase info and can’t remember the particulars. What I can piece together from memory is Ittosai wa-gyuto aogami. Am I on track?
7A5B3C96-E09A-4162-8D77-370C3AEB1646.jpeg
1FB4D809-94B2-4B0F-8A45-F56507DEB357.jpeg

Any info on this maker available? Have they merged or changed names? I also have a western style stainless Damascus gyuto I picked up in 2004/5 that’s served great. I wish I could ID the steel on it but I’ve never seen another one anywhere.

Yes you are correct. The top photo says Aokou 青鋼 (blue steel) and the bottom photo says
Ittousai Toratetsu Saku 一刀歳 虎徹 作 (made by Ittousai Toratesu).
These knives are marketed by Takahashikusu Co. in Sakai, and there may be information for you on their
English website:
https://takahashikusu.co.jp/en/

Yes you are correct. The top photo says Aokou 青鋼 (blue steel) and the bottom photo says
Ittousai Toratetsu Saku 一刀歳 虎徹 作 (made by Ittousai Toratesu).
These knives are marketed by Takahashikusu Co. in Sakai, and there may be information for you on their
English website:
https://takahashikusu.co.jp/en/
Very exciting! Thank you so much for jumping in and sharing the information.

C9273320-9A3A-48AB-9EF9-0D920A8EEE76.jpeg
9E976DD8-5907-4362-9DBC-AAA192A003DD.jpeg
Very exciting! Thank you so much for jumping in and sharing the information.

Another query:
I have a colleague who just bought the knife on the right. He’s dying to know what all this kanji says, on both sides. Help is much appreciated; this will make him very happy! It’s a Keijiro Doi, the blade on the right in both cases. The one on the left is mine. Could someone please translate it separately?

top picture-Sakai Takayuki can't make out last two need better photo. Top is probably betsu.
bottom picture - touroku (registered) Sakai Takayuki

Yours is a Suishin Aonikou (Blue Steel #2)
Bottom says Suishin Hayate
Both knives have the Doi mark

The yanagiba on the left has been sharpened too much on the back. Be careful.
Thank you. Always learning, but I have learned very much since days when I was using this knife a lot. I see things differently now, and understand more. But never stop learning, that’s why I appreciate this comment.

7EF57491-CF93-4161-9687-F3D4CA0FE27D.jpeg
10983E68-AEE2-46F2-A22B-483D262241AD.jpeg
F169CBEA-00DB-48A0-9E09-82EFCE93512C.jpeg
9DA8B565-1EEF-44B2-A5F9-77883E054AB1.jpeg
C50ED5C0-FB13-4709-84EB-5B9D087C62FB.jpeg
Still digging for info on this knife. It belongs to a coworker. He’s still concerned it may not be what he thought. It’s supposed to be Keijiro Doi Sakai Takayuki White #2.

It is curious the Doi marks are different on the front and back. Why would this be? Also he thinks the mark on the front was “laser etched?” It’s super sharp and clean. There are also some scrub marks focused around this engraving.

Anyone have some thoughts on what this knife is? I can’t decipher any shirogami marks but I don’t read kanji. He was told this was a new old-stock knife.

Thanks again for any thoughts!

A buddy found this in his late father’s house...

Any ideas? Wouldn’t have been purchased any more recently than 30 years in his estimation.

Attachments

• 2A9E2112-9505-4EAE-B151-FBF12878ADBE.jpeg
    2A9E2112-9505-4EAE-B151-FBF12878ADBE.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 186
  • E0225387-8B44-494D-A2B9-B97748F2BF4F.jpeg
    E0225387-8B44-494D-A2B9-B97748F2BF4F.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 183
Back