Kasfly vs budget sandpaper options (Sand devil specifically)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're just looking for permission, go for it! The Kasfly is deluxe.

If you're really looking for alternatives, be aware that SandDevil takes belts. (Which limits selection and ups the cost.) I think I'd look for a flat smooth surface (heavy float glass, carefully selected marble tile, marble or granite counter top off-cut, or small cheap surface plate. (E.g. Woodcraft puts one on sale every so often. Last month, so only if you can wait.)) Most people report surface tension of water will hold strips of regular, or better wet/dry, sandpaper in place. 3M Spray Adhesive will eliminate any slipping.

IF I can butt in with a related question......

Does anyone have pics of the Kasfly in use? I'm guessing the rubber bands and the tits on the unit provide tension on the sandpaper - but exact configuration is eluding me. I've got a friend's POS cleaver I told him I would thin / sharpen. And mechanical aptitude is not my forte.

I got myself a Kasfly last year and couldn’t be happier, a very versatile tool.
I use it mostly for woodworking/knife making instead of sharpening, it actually is like a tiny belt grinder 😊
2260E56D-F058-4F1B-B3E8-CEAE5A585812.jpeg

Has anyone every done a progression on the kasfly with sandpaper from flattening a bevel to maybe 1000-1500 grit then polished on higher synths/Jnats? I’m at a point where I’m starting to enjoy using diamonds and other stones that don’t leave any contrast under 1-2k. Maybe even up to 4k. I think I would enjoy this process much more using something like the kasfly and rhynowet. Then when my bevel is ready for jnats I can head that way and make the finish nice. I like this because I can focus much more on scratch removal and I don’t need to worry about super muddy stones. I’m just curious if anyone has done this and can give me some feedback and maybe a price point of how much sandpaper one would go through. I might sell off some synths I’m starting to become annoyed with to fund this. I’m going to be picking up the 1/6k diamond set from Jon eventually but I’m curious about this as well.

Back