Kashima (Yoshikane) Passaround

Discussion in 'Passarounds & Loaners' started by daveb, Sep 19, 2019.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Oct 24, 2019 #31

ian

ian

ian

Supporting Member

Any thoughts? Curious.

2. Oct 24, 2019 #32

McMan

McMan

McMan

Cliff notes = Good Food Release + Significant Flat Spot

Thanks @daveb for letting me take this one for a spin.

There’s a lot to be said that's positive about this knife at the pricepoint, which Ian’s review tackled. I’d echo that it has good food release in spite of being so thin. For me, the knife was a little bit in no man’s land. It did everything well, but didn’t stand out at any one single thing. I didn’t sharpen it, so I can’t speak to the steel.

Might be helpful to start with some basics…
    Length: 245mm
    Height: 49mm
    Weight: 168g (CC lists it as 184g)​

Significant flat spot. It has a very familiar standard profile—like that song that’s in your head but you can’t remember the name. I’ve seen the profile before, just can’t remember… (It’s not the default Yoshi profile, but they’re pretty close. I compared it to a Yoshi and the tip is lower on the Yoshi and there is less belly, but both Kashima and Yoshi had significant flat spots…) The edge profile is nearly identical to the Hitohira Kikuchiyo Kyuzo, which is Sakai-made not Sanjo (tracing below). Exact same tip height and flat spot. But I think Kikuchiyo Kyuzo also clones its profile from a standard.
    What’s the name of that song?!

Constructive criticism: I found the transition from the belly to the flat spot to be slightly abrupt—i.e. felt like a fulcrum more than a curve on the board. This could be fixed easily enough on the stones in a sharpening session or two. Less of a “problem” and more just something that needs to be broken it. Likewise, I think it’d benefit from a little attention to back belly at the heel—the flat spot stretches all the way to the heel, so it has just a little hint of “clank” that could be dealt with easily. These are minor quibbles--the profile is great for push-cutting.

Grind
    It’s almost, almost a laser… but not quite. And definitely not meaty enough to be a proper midweight. It’s betwixt and between. Categorizing it and getting into definitions won’t be helpful. FWIW, I see it as a very light midweight since there is room enough cross-sectionally for the grind to work in ways that lasers don’t (can’t?) have.

The grind is divided into two segments. From the tip and for the first third of the knife, it’s so thin that the convex is minor (and nonexistent towards the tip). So, it’s really nimble over this first third. The tip was nice for detail work. The last two thirds are where the rubber meets the road since the convex has more room to breathe. Food release is surprisingly good. Because the convex is still relatively minor overall, I wasn’t expecting too much, and was pleasantly surprised. Zero stiction on potatoes. I think food release can be a product of chopping speed sometimes—both fast and slow yielded good food release.

For an idea of distal taper:
    Spine at handle: 3.9mm
    Spine above heel: 3.4mm
    Spine at midpoint: 2.3mm
    80mm from tip: 2.0mm
    60mm from tip: 1.7mm
    40mm from tip: 1.6mm
    20mm from tip: 1.3mm
    10mm from tip: 1.1mm
    Tip: 0.4mm​

Fit and Finish
    Nice F/F. The edges of the spine were eased not rounded, but not sharp or grabby (I forgot to check the choil). It would be easy to round further, but I found it acceptable as-is. Finish is faux-Kasumi—but it’s done really well and is quite smooth and consistent. I think it’s fine sandblast but am not positive. Regardless, it’s not that cheap type of kasumi from rougher sandblast that drags. Last but not least—good handle on this one, and nicer in-person than it looks online. It’s on the thin side (which I like). If you have meatpaws or like thicker handles, then this one will probably seem thin. (I realize now that I forgot to measure the handle—oops.)

PA Pic.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    Kristoffer and ian like this.
  3. Oct 25, 2019 #33
    Thanks for the detailed review.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  4. Oct 25, 2019 #34
    Yes. A real looker with a very nice peice of horn.

5. Oct 25, 2019 #35

drsmp

drsmp

drsmp

@daveb please post a picture when you get a chance. Besides the finish do you see any differences between the Kashima and the KS versions?

6. Oct 25, 2019 #36

dafox

dafox

dafox

The knife arrived safely on Tuesday.
    Initial impression, I like the handle, the blade is a bit boring, alright, a 240 that doesn't seem too big.
    Have coked a couple of meals with it so far, plan to cook a few more, then write down my impressions of the knife.
    @daveb, thanks for doing this pass-around.

7. Oct 30, 2019 #37

dafox

dafox

dafox

Initial impression, alright, a 240 that doesn't seem too big, the blade is a bit boring, and I like the handle.

Lots of great comments, observations, and impressions from the others in the pass-around. I’ll try and not duplicate their efforts.

I had the knife for a week, making stir fry’s, salsa, omelet’s, and msc other things, I found the knife to be a pleasure to use. My most used gyutos are 180’s and 210’s, I was pleasantly surprised that this 240 didn’t seem to big. It’s not blade heavy, my dislike about most of the 240”s that I have used so far. This knife has a neutral balance with a pinch grip. The blade has some heft at the handle quickly thinning along the spine and has a very pronounced distal taper-getting quite thin towards the tip, that, paired with a rosewood handle, which weighs more than the usual ho wood gives the knife a neutral balance-I like it.

The blade is ground quite thin, comparing choil shots with a Wakui white #2 210 gyuto and Gengetsu semistainless 210 gyuto, the Wakui is the thinnest, the Kashima in the middle, and the Gengetsu the thickest. I do shy away from using the Wakui sometimes because of how thin it is, the Kashima still cuts effortlessly, able to make thin slices, but I didn’t feel the need to baby it. The long flat spot, which has an ever so gentle arc to it, of the Kashima was great for cutting long slices and then long strips out of a zucchini squash for a stir-fry. It has a thin tip, deveining serrano peppers easily, a good test for tip agility and thinness. The blade finish, with it’s fine blasted finish feels slippery-a bit like a non stick pan, food release was good, especially for so thin of a knife. But, I think it looks lack-luster, uninspiring, a bit boring.

The handle looks to be rosewood with a red dyed pakka wood ferule, octagonal shaped with the sides being flatter than the top and bottom, and long enough to balance the appearance of the knife. I really like the shape, I prefer the flatter sides, its really comfortable with my grip, and there isn’t a ridge that digs into your thumb like with thick ferules. The neck length is just about right, too long and your grip is less secure, too short and its uncomfortable. A quibble, I’d prefer a black ferule.

After using the Kashima I’m inspired to get another 240 gyuto. I prefer the looks of the Gengetsu, the hairline finish, the slightly flatter profile, and the more robust grind, but, I prefer the handle shape and neck length of the Kashima. I’m going to get a Gengetsu 240 semi-stainless, see how it compares to the Kashima, and go from there.

CiderBear, M1k3 and ian like this.
  8. Oct 31, 2019 #38

dafox

dafox

dafox

9. Nov 3, 2019 #39

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Knife arrived safely. Will use it and pass along.

10. Nov 15, 2019 #40

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Come on clock! The package is at home while I'm at work :(

dafox likes this.
  11. Nov 15, 2019 #41

Barmoley

Barmoley

Barmoley

Thanks to @daveb for sharing the knife. I don't really have much to say besides what has been said already. The knife surprised me, even though I read other reviews. On paper it is too light and too thin for me and I don't like white 2 steel in general. This knife is very pleasant to use. It just works really well. Food release is very good, especially for a knife that is pretty thin. Not a laser, but like was mentioned before, light midweight. I am not sure why release is as good as it is, but I guess that doesn't really matter. The knife is light and nimble, but not flimsy or overly flexible. I still don't like white 2, but at least it is very easy to sharpen.

Carl Kotte and ashy2classy like this.
  12. Nov 15, 2019 #42

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

Taking it for a spin now. Will report back after I've had some time with it.

Attached Files:

Carl Kotte and CiderBear like this.
  13. Nov 17, 2019 #43

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

So far, I really like it. I might just buy one. 20191116_155236.jpg 20191115_133255.jpg

CiderBear, IsoJ and Carl Kotte like this.
  14. Nov 20, 2019 #44

M1k3

M1k3

M1k3

So I've used it for a week at work. Cutting Pears, Ribeyes, peeled potatoes that have been soaked in water and are cold, cherry tomatoes, portioning salmon/tuna/swordfish, asparagus, and slicing hot proteins.

I have to say, I'm quite impressed. As has been said, it's almost a laser but not quite. Generous flat spot. I didn't find the curve to the tip abrupt. Food release was quite good for such a thin knife. The fit and finish was good. I'd personally round the spine and choil some more, but, it's not horrible. It's got "soft corners". The handle felt nice. Not to heavy, not to light. I wasn't the biggest fan of the color combo, but, that's just nitpicking. It wasn't bad, just not quite my preference. Edge retention was pretty good for white. I only made a few light passes on my King 6k and a few passes on a balsa strop with 1 micron paste. I'd definitely recommend it for the price. I also really liked the Saya that was with it.

CiderBear likes this.