KASUMI on a KATO !?!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the way to the next step ...
AI 2000 ?

2000 points!

It was sometimes hard to see it the scratches from #1000 have been removed, so I took my time..
And finally :)

The size of the scratches is now very small.

On this part for example, the scratches are not visible or only with very special light conditions.
(This pictures is not what a human sees):

Here, the scratches are more visible but once again the part on the picture is extremely small. You can compare this to a microscope:

Last edited:
A noobie question here, but can you get a kasumi finish with sandpapers?

No, you need a stone that is softer than the Hagon so it’ll only affect the cladding not the core steel.

Sorry guys, I'm afraid the blade isn't epic enough for a beauty contest yet...

Exacting standards.... :)

Very interested to see how this turns out. I have endeavoured to replicate the "garden tool finish" when thinning behind the edge. It will be great to see what the kasumi option looks like

What's up slappers

What's up, polishers ?!

Previous steps haven't been sooo exciting..
Now glad to leave those plastic stones and put the blade on real ones :upsidedownspin:
(In advance, sorry for the image quality. Light hasn't been my best friend today..)

So, let's move forward with my softest Ohira uchigumori.
This is a very, very, very soft one! The softest. It gives a perfect white haze on the core and on honyaki but still a bit coarse/soft for clad as finisher.
Anyway, the blade is slowly coming into the Kasumi area AND THIS IS COOL..

Last edited:
I take that as you didn't get the reference. Anyway, amazing work you've done there. How much do you reckon you've spent just for polishing this knife?
Actually, without being a fan, this guy made me like the bass.. wich is a cool thing as soul/funk/jazz/hip hop lover.

No idea, how long.. I took so much time trying to use my new lenses for the pictures that it seems to be an eternity!

Are you using now a full size stone uchigomori or finger stones?

Knowing nutmeg, its probably hugeass boulder sized uchis.
Actually not! This one is say 170*70*30 mm so, very comfortable size but not huge.
The next one is 120*70*20mm and believe it or not, I didn't feel any size limitation with a350mm blade.

Last edited:
Actually not! This one is say 170*70*30 mm so, very comfortable size but not huge.
The next one is 120*70*20mm and believe it or not, I didn't feel any size limitation with the 350mm blade.
Thats actually a really nice size for a stone if you ask me. I love taller and wider stones as opposed to long ones as I don't use long strokes that often.

The next one is 120*70*20mm and believe it or not, I didn't feel any size limitation with the 350mm blade.

Nah.... I mean.... whoa.... Hold the phone buddy. Dont be casually droppin' nuggets like that.... all casual and $h!t like its a regular day at the office! 350mm sir!??!

Thats one big arse Kato!

Now glad to leave those plastic stones

What was your final synthetic grit?

Anyway, the blade is slowly coming into the Kasumi area and THIS IS COOL..

A true maestro! I look forward to the end result!

I don’t have anything constructive to add except to say that these @nutmeg threads are always fascinating and really educational, especially when there are pics of each step. Knowing that I need patience is one thing but seeing exactly what each well executed step looks like is incredibly cool and useful!

Nah.... I mean.... whoa.... Hold the phone buddy. Dont be casually droppin' nuggets like that.... all casual and $h!t like its a regular day at the office! 350mm sir!??!

Thats one big arse Kato!

What was your final synthetic grit?

A true maestro! I look forward to the end result!

Thanks for your comment! I'm excited to see the end result too..

This Kato is a 240mm. The 350mm was a yanagiba honyaki from Okishiba Masakuni.

The final synth grit was 2k on Ai#2000 / Shapton pro.

This Kato is a 240mm.

Gee... Too bad... just a "boring, plain-jane" 240mm kato :p;)

The 350mm was a yanagiba honyaki from Okishiba Masakuni.

Ahhhh.... who could forget? :)

I'm excited to see the end result too..

I hope there is a twist at the end! Like some clouds or banding in the cladding... I suspect not though. Still... lets wait and see.

By the way...

I took so much time trying to use my new lenses for the pictures that it seems to be an eternity!

A+ photography. You're doing your work a great service by documenting it so well. It is easy to take for granted how well you have photographed your subjects.... kudos for taking the time.

Just have a question for you if you have any advice for me, how would you polish the hira on a knife with a heavy distilled taper? It doesn't work if I place it flat on the stone towards the handle :(

Just have a question for you if you have any advice for me, how would you polish the hira on a knife with a heavy distilled taper? It doesn't work if I place it flat on the stone towards the handle :(
You can do sand paper + finger stones but sand paper is not as clean as benchstones so you have to take your time.
And you're going to need more finger stones.

Back