Kasumi question/s?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let me see if I've got this right or not totally wrong.

Using a wide bevel knife one would lay the entire bevel to a low to mid grit stone and start polishing with about 2# of pressure?

Move along whatever stone progression you're in ownership of and reduce pressure as you go along removing the scratch patterns.

If you own multiple naturals some feel that the proper route is to do a full progression with synthetic then go back to naturals but this appears to not be canonical?

Thank you.

It helps to have a stone that is good at creating misty kasumi finish. Just any IK stone will not give satisfactory results.

As for pressure very little is needed better to create mud( I mist it to keep it loose). With light pressure check your blade visually during the process. I have found that too much pressure wipes out the kasumi. With practice you can get good finishes with a stone.

Others here may have other techniques.

high pressure gives you speed. In combination with slow moves this can also increase your control of the angle.
For removing all the synth scratches I would use the highest pressure on jnats at first.
Low pressure is only for finishing stones like middle-hard uchigumori and harder.
Once the synth scratches have been removed- and it is a very time consuming process, you can use a lighter pressure in order to give some "character".

Is it worth using a synth progression to say 8k to remove all of the synth scratches before starting with jnats?
Depends of the Jnat progression you are using, but I like to go at least 1-2K higher on synthetics than the starting point of my nat progression (synthetic scratches are way deeper than Jnat scratches).

Back