• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Kato 240 Workhorse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rick_english

Reaction score
For sale is a Kato 240 workhorse. Blade is 235mm long, 47mm high at heel, and weight is 217g. Knife is unused, unsharpened, flawless.

Price is $1,150 shipped CONUS, PayPal G&S. Thanks-------

workhorse1.jpg

workhorse2.jpg

William is a pleasure to deal with. If I didn't already have one, this would be gone, but hoping someone else can experience a fabulous knife.

I am the second owner. Knife was from original batch of workhorses from 5-6 years ago, and was sold to me as untouched. I have not done anything to it.

Yeah measurements seem a little strange to me. More like a standard which typically run short. WH usually run long closer 245 with taller heels > 50mm typically. But if it’s old batch then the measurements could have evolved since then possibly.

Based on comments here, I'm concerned that the knife may have been refinished before it was sold to me. I'm withdrawing it from sale.

These do appear to look similar to op knife. Shorter heel height etc. it’s possible that many users here have not handled old old stock of wh. Labor of love also started the he has had three before all with shorter heel heights. I am not an expert. Does original seller have any other photos that they can post? I do feel OP is telling as much as he knows of the product. It’s close to standard specs from what I can tell just a little on the shorter end.

Last edited:
I wish knives come with serial numbers like guitars (my other thing). Much easier to identify when and where it was made, and what the batch should be like

I feel bad for the OP. I think you could edit the description and the kato will likely still sell close to asking price.

Show a choil shot, that always gets them.

Before this place devolved into a kato/shig resell site, the OP was around and a positive part of the community IMHO. I can't recall which but I've either bought or sold a knife with the seller and he was clear, communicative, and fair. You inferring intent from anything the seller has said feels pretty damn irresponsible unless you know something I don't know.

Before this place devolved into a kato/shig resell site, the OP was around and a positive part of the community IMHO. I can't recall which but I've either bought or sold a knife with the seller and he was clear, communicative, and fair. You inferring intent from anything the seller has said feels pretty damn irresponsible unless you know something I don't know.

Couldn't agree more. A stand-up dude.

Surprised the police team hasn't shown up yet?

Police is back from Italy and watching this thread - and is not too pleased by the tone of some comments.

The knife has the Workhorse kanji. It is indeed surprising small, but if this was originally 249/50 blade it would have taken a LOT of thinning to bring the weight down by about 40-50g - the kanji would be most likely nearly completely ground off, ir the knife would have a badly changed geometry (if it would not have been thinned nearly all the way up to the spine).

@rick_english - should you need any assistance please let me know. But first thing to check would be talking to whoever you got that knife from.

As long as the peanut gallery is allowed to comment, lemme just chime in that the kanji looks like it was written by a five year old. ;) Still a beautiful knife tho.

Nice looking Kato for sure, even with what appears to be a nice polish. (Yes, Kato uses vertical "polishing", typically somewhat rustic looking.

Older Katos were shorter in heel height if I recall correctly, which was what turned me off originally.
Then the western handle versions came along and boasted taller profiles. I had 4 of these, none of which were identical (with the exception that they were all completely badass).

If this knife still has its original geometry, e.g. grind, the new owner is in for a treat.

I'd only add that mine was of the newer lighter ones (~2015) at 243g.

I would add that all the ones i saw sold by maxim either had burnt chestnut or western handles. If i recall it was roughly 242 x 51.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the knife 6-7 years ago and have no record or recollection of who the seller was. I do recall that the knife was said to be untouched, as mentioned above.

Here's of one of the guidelines for B/S/T:

"Negative comments in sales threads are forbidden and will result in revocation of B/S/T forum privileges. This includes ANY unfavorable comment on member pricing, ANY impugning comment on the perceived quality of the knife or perceived defects or ANY disparaging comment on the knife maker or original vendor/seller."

If you have doubts about a knife, send a PM.

I bought the knife 6-7 years ago and have no record or recollection of who the seller was. I do recall that the knife was said to be untouched, as mentioned above.

Here's of one of the guidelines for B/S/T:

"Negative comments in sales threads are forbidden and will result in revocation of B/S/T forum privileges. This includes ANY unfavorable comment on member pricing, ANY impugning comment on the perceived quality of the knife or perceived defects or ANY disparaging comment on the knife maker or original vendor/seller."

If you have doubts about a knife, send a PM.
I'm sure you aren't referring to my comments, as they were genuine questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back