Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too find the prices to be quite expensive but in the end, tosho is a business and they could sell it for whatever they want.

People are still buying them, I believe there were 3 240s in the shipment and I got a call from them asking me whether I wanted to buy their last one so 2 were already purchased pre arrival. I'll probably hold off and try to buy one 2nd hand from BST.

JNS new price for the 210mm is about $410-$430, but yeah $500+ is ridiculous imo.

DKK 3000 last time at JNS or 442 USD right now. There must be taxes on the Tosho prices. Otherwise I don't understand.

DKK 3000 last time at JNS or 442 USD right now. There must be taxes on the Tosho prices. Otherwise I don't understand.

Whoops a little bit off yeah $442 *agree with ger** =D

I've talked to Tosho and also with some local guys around there no. Those prices are their international without tax prices unfortunately. Also there is shipping from Tosho so it is even more than $500 =p

Whoops a little bit off yeah $442 *agree with ger** =D

I've talked to Tosho and also with some local guys around there no. Those prices are their international without tax prices unfortunately. Also there is shipping from Tosho so it is even more than $500 =p

I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for my Kato. I so did enjoy buying knives from Olivia!

Here was I thinking us knife nuts would pay 'anything' for a Kato. [emoji12] I'm opting out of the Kato craze only because it's not tall enough for my liking. The $AUD's value makes buying any knife painfully expensive now anyway !

Here was I thinking us knife nuts would pay 'anything' for a Kato. [emoji12] I'm opting out of the Kato craze only because it's not tall enough for my liking. The $AUD's value makes buying any knife painfully expensive now anyway !

I'm hearing you dude.. still hasn't stopped me from looking and admiring though. Been more into finding cheaper knives and regrinding myself lately trying to find something that will at least let me pretend that I'm getting a good deal. The stainless clad blue steel ichimonji (or however it's spelled) on ebay is a pretty solid knife. It needs heavy thinning out of the box though..I'm opting for the belt sander for ease. I think the best value option for us at the moment is the Itinomonn (provided you order a few extras for JNS to go with it). Been really happy with mine and managed to convince friends just getting into the knife rabbit hole to buy one too.

Even with the higher price - they are available. I paid more than I should have but had to pull the trigger cuz it was in stock. I have had mine for about a week and if it wasn't for the Devin that just came in, I think I would love it. It could definitely use some more height for my taste. Other than that it is a fantastic piece.

I just can't justify paying such a premium for a knife anymore... as much as im sure i'd love it I'm a bit reluctant bringing truly expensive knives to work now. had a few knocked off in the last couple years

I presume you work in the biz masibu ? I'm sure my opinion of knives that are expensive and reactive would change dramatically if I were not just a home cook. Getting stuffed flogged,as you have, would also colour my actions, no doubt. Thanks for the Itinomon suggestion, but I'm trying to curtail the knife obsession, not feed it ! [emoji3] Hence my passing on the Kato

I'm opting out of the Kato craze only because it's not tall enough for my liking.

If you mean the 240 gyuto, aren't they at least 50mm? If you imagine a Kato gyuto with a taller blade, but still with that thick, convex grind, and so keeping the same geometry, then just a few more mm in height would add a huge amount to its overall weight and bulk, for what is already a hefty knife. It wouldn't work unless you otherwise changed the geometry. (An s-grind could be lighter, and sort of requires extra height. A convex gyuto will often be shorter.)

I can totally relate to what masibu gone thru. It's very very difficult to keep a reactive knife clean and dry 100% of the time when doing massive amount of prep and slicing/portioning protein during hectic service. But in the end it's the satisfaction of knowing that no matter how ugly the knife looks due to all the stains/smudges/rust spots that I am using a knife that cut thru everything with ease and not ruining any food products. The pristine look of a knife can always come back with some TLC.

If you mean the 240 gyuto, aren't they at least 50mm? If you imagine a Kato gyuto with a taller blade, but still with that thick, convex grind, and so keeping the same geometry, then just a few more mm in height would add a huge amount to its overall weight and bulk, for what is already a hefty knife. It wouldn't work unless you otherwise changed the geometry. (An s-grind could be lighter, and sort of requires extra height. A convex gyuto will often be shorter.)

Good point Asteger. The weight of a kato does give me pause too. I have a 270 Watanabe Pro gyuto which I find incredibly sharp, but possibly just a smidge too heavy for me to absolutely love. But I am persisting in trying to get used to it.

I have a 270 Watanabe Pro gyuto which I find incredibly sharp, but possibly just a smidge too heavy for me to absolutely love. But I am persisting in trying to get used to it.

No law everyone has tobget a 240. Try a 210?

I actually like the 210 length. I picked up a Konosuke Fujiyama B#2 210 gyuto a few months back and I'm finding that I'm liking this size on my home cutting board. I think the only reason I might opt for the 240mm length is re-sale value since most pro users seem to like this longer blade.

I presume you work in the biz masibu ? I'm sure my opinion of knives that are expensive and reactive would change dramatically if I were not just a home cook. Getting stuffed flogged,as you have, would also colour my actions, no doubt. Thanks for the Itinomon suggestion, but I'm trying to curtail the knife obsession, not feed it ! [emoji3] Hence my passing on the Kato

yeah I do.. not working anywhere special though. chasing the $$$ to apply for a working holiday visa for the uk (which is hard when I really, really like knives). My preferences in knives change all the time but even if I had a kato and would have no problem using it at work there is a creeping sense of paranoia. buying average priced knives also means its a bit easier to resell anything I buy. in the last month ive bought 2 itinomonns, 2 masakage, something off k+s and the ichomonji all in 240mm length and I have found homes for all of them relatively easily. The hardest part is trying to figure out which one I keep for myself..

The itinomonn is truly superb. I sold the first one I had off because I had other knives coming in the mail and really prefer something with a bit more weight but had to buy another one only 2 weeks later because I found myself missing it. I missed the sale both times as well so I'm shooting myself in the foot wasting money. it doesn't have the 'wow' factor I'm sure I would get from a kato or shig etc but from a performance perspective I really like it.

regarding reactivity.. i used to worry a lot about it but I've recently been trying out my mizuno at work again which was sitting in a drawer for a while sadly. it needed thinning so thought I'd give it a go and forgot how much easier it is to remove iron cladding compared to monosteel or stainless cladding. Haven't done the best job doing it evenly but I think I could put up with a little bit of reactivity if it meant sharpening were that much easier. haven't noticed any produce browning.

Yeah, I currently oscillate between my 270 Mizuno and my other 240s - can't decide which ones I like better. I don't think I would like smaller (but I have a TF Maboroshi 180 gyuto which I love for small veg, having said that...).

yeah I do.. not working anywhere special though. chasing the $$$ to apply for a working holiday visa for the uk (which is hard when I really, really like knives). My preferences in knives change all the time but even if I had a kato and would have no problem using it at work there is a creeping sense of paranoia. buying average priced knives also means its a bit easier to resell anything I buy. in the last month ive bought 2 itinomonns, 2 masakage, something off k+s and the ichomonji all in 240mm length and I have found homes for all of them relatively easily. The hardest part is trying to figure out which one I keep for myself..

The itinomonn is truly superb. I sold the first one I had off because I had other knives coming in the mail and really prefer something with a bit more weight but had to buy another one only 2 weeks later because I found myself missing it. I missed the sale both times as well so I'm shooting myself in the foot wasting money. it doesn't have the 'wow' factor I'm sure I would get from a kato or shig etc but from a performance perspective I really like it.

regarding reactivity.. i used to worry a lot about it but I've recently been trying out my mizuno at work again which was sitting in a drawer for a while sadly. it needed thinning so thought I'd give it a go and forgot how much easier it is to remove iron cladding compared to monosteel or stainless cladding. Haven't done the best job doing it evenly but I think I could put up with a little bit of reactivity if it meant sharpening were that much easier. haven't noticed any produce browning.

You're a braver man than I - I already find myself wiping my Mizuno furiously throughout my dinner prep, and I don't need the added stress of being in a work environment. That said, I love my Mizuno, like you; I don't know if its the blue steel or what but even as a very average virtually beginner freehand sharpener I can get it pleasingly sharp.

Toshoknifearts in Toronto just posted to facebook a 210 and 240mm kato gyuto as well as a 150mm kato petty.

$830 for the 240!

Those Tosho Kato prices are insulting.

if they imported them through the proper channels then they would have been hit with a sizable duty. I paid close to 100 usd for my 240 when i imported it. And the bad cdn dollar might be a cause as well.

I had to go do the conversion on that...wow. Wow to both the depressed Canadian dollar and Wow to the proudly priced (non-workhorse) Kato.

if they imported them through the proper channels then they would have been hit with a sizable duty. I paid close to 100 usd for my 240 when i imported it. And the bad cdn dollar might be a cause as well.

How much did you pay for your 240 with the 100 for importing if I may ask?

How much did you pay for your 240 with the 100 for importing if I may ask?

Duty on knives in Canada ranges from about 7% to >11% depending on the harmonized tariff schedule listing used. Inzite probably also paid federal/provincial tax to the CBSA at the same time, and possible brokerage/handling fees depending on the shipping carrier. The CAD has improved by about 10% recently (but it still sucks), so depending on when the original transactions took place that may also be a factor

I guess it's starting to answer questions as to market elasticity.

Back