Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up the 210 damascus gyuto. I was hoping that the email would've included the Kikuryu Maksim was showing off earlier, but no dice :(. I figured that Kato isn't going to be making knives forever so I should get one while I can, plus if a Kikuryu does come along I could sell this one.

Picked up the 210 damascus gyuto. I was hoping that the email would've included the Kikuryu Maksim was showing off earlier, but no dice :(. I figured that Kato isn't going to be making knives forever so I should get one while I can, plus if a Kikuryu does come along I could sell this one.

You can say thank you :knife: I was up when the email came through and almost hit pay on the damascus one, but I already have a 210 and am fine with it. Plus, I figured the wife might shiv me with it since in the last two months, three knives have come into the fold.

You can say thank you :knife: I was up when the email came through and almost hit pay on the damascus one, but I already have a 210 and am fine with it. Plus, I figured the wife might shiv me with it since in the last two months, three knives have come into the fold.

These were sold by the time I woke up at 5 AM - what were the prices on the Damascus 210, 200 Gyuto's and 180 Petty?

These were sold by the time I woke up at 5 AM - what were the prices on the Damascus 210, 200 Gyuto's and 180 Petty?

The price on the Damascus 210 was round about 830€ (930-940$) if I remember correctly. Thought about it, but no... not in 210...

Is the Damascus finish from chemical etch or polish?

The price on the Damascus 210 was round about 830€ (930-940$) if I remember correctly. Thought about it, but no... not in 210...

It was just too expensive to us from EU! Last week there was one on B/S/T. For sure it would be cheaper to get it form Canada to EU.

I'm guessing that is including VAT? So around $740-$750 ex-VAT

Nice score! I wouldve pulled the trigger on it if i ddint have one coming in. Now gotta get my hands on a 240 damascus!

I was up, got the email, had the 210 Kato Damascus in the cart . Thought about it for a second and passed. Crazy money for a 210.

The VAT price on the 210 Kato was well over 900! The picture I looked at quick showed a bare blade with no handle, not sure if it included one of those 20-30 dollar chestnut handles. Coupled with the possibility of being taxed at import into the US made this an easy pass by situation.

I think maksim is pretty reasonable and the craftsmenship on the kato damascus is just stunning. Compared to what tosho is charging this was a steal!

The VAT price on the 210 Kato was well over 900! The picture I looked at quick showed a bare blade with no handle, not sure if it included one of those 20-30 dollar chestnut handles. Coupled with the possibility of being taxed at import into the US made this an easy pass by situation.

Not sure if you know or not - you don't pay the VAT price if you're ordering from outside the EU. Also, I think it's very rare that any knife-o's in the States pay any import duties, so not a concern either.

I have yet to be taxed on any knife purchases including a $1k+ package from Maksim.

Price comparison of 210mm Damascus:
JNS - $740 (unsure on handle)
Site to be not named - $775 (no handle)
Tosho - $978 (with ho-handle)

I have yet to be taxed on any knife purchases including a $1k+ package from Maksim.

Price comparison of 210mm Damascus:
JNS - $740 (unsure on handle)
Site to be not named - $775 (no handle)
Tosho - $978 (with ho-handle)

Thanks mikedtran, I did the same comparison as well before purchasing.

The 5200 DKK comes as $787.91 USD in Google, and it was $814.95 USD of my PayPal balance due to their conversion fee (I only have CAD and USD at PayPal, so I think most would have to pay the DKK fee anyways). Overall I see it as a good deal; shipping was included and if I got it "to go" it would've been WAY more.

Btw, the handle is apparently d shaped burnt chestnut with Buffalo horn, but it will probably be getting a custom… unless a Kikuryu comes along to take its place

Thanks mikedtran, I did the same comparison as well before purchasing.

The 5200 DKK comes as $787.91 USD in Google, and it was $814.95 USD of my PayPal balance due to their conversion fee (I only have CAD and USD at PayPal, so I think most would have to pay the DKK fee anyways). Overall I see it as a good deal; shipping was included and if I got it "to go" it would've been WAY more.

Btw, the handle is apparently d shaped burnt chestnut with Buffalo horn, but it will probably be getting a custom… unless a Kikuryu comes along to take its place

Even at $810 that is a really solid deal especially if it comes with a handle (even though you will be replacing it).

I also have to say after Mike (smurf's) comment about how great his Damascus Kato is I really want to hunt one of these down.

Got ya on the VAT, that was an oversight, so I guess the price is inline with others. I also haven't been nicked with a tariff as of yet, but I find that the chance increases with larger dollar transactions. I repatriated 2 Gibson les Paul's from Japan a few years ago and was hit with a giant tax, even though Gibson is made in the US - they would not release my guitars to me unless I paid the tax. I had to go to a hearing, which I easily won, for that to be returned - so I guess I'm a little apprehensive at times.

His prices are kinda high. $500 for a 150 petty...

I notice that the frequent posters in both the Shigefusa and Kato thread are the same people.:groucho:

Kato Dasmascus Gytuo 210mm - $775 shipped - http://item.rakuten.co.jp/nzshinkai/262770wk2d/

I have worked with this seller before and he will deduct 8% consumption tax for international orders as well as ship internationlly if you email him

Let's see if it is Kato-fever season. Stopwatch started.

I notice that the frequent posters in both the Shigefusa and Kato thread are the same people.:groucho:

=D

Was about to try purchasing it lol. Thought about checking my account and refreshed the page it was gone. Oh well at least it saved me some money lol.

Back