Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard from the BST thread recently Kato working with some blue steel more often. Anybody know any particular reason why or just because he feels like working with blue compared to the usual white I’ve seen in so many knives previously.

2gyak1s.jpg

At that price, you could get a kodachi from a mukansa. The price is just ridiculous.

a $14K blade with such a ridiculously lazy finish..
Time is money.
14k means a perfect knife made with time and passion.
Kato chose to make a blade quickly with a finish that every young polisher would feel ashamed with.

Last edited:
Can somebody educate me which Kato gets everyone this excited? I know of Yoshimi Kato, but this sounds like another one.

Kiyoshi kato, yoshiaki fujiwara.

From www.japanesenaturalstones.com

These beautiful knives are made by Mr. Kiyoshi Kato, born 1944 in Tokyo. He began swordsmith training in 1964, at the age of 20, and is currently a licensed sword smith. He now uses his incredible collection of very old, and difficult to obtain, Tamahagane steels to form his own sword masterpieces.

He entered the field of knife making in 1977 by creating his first hunting and kitchen knives, and currently makes knives in his new Hokuto City workshop, found in the Yamanashi Prefecture.

a $14K blade with such a ridiculously lazy finish..
Time is money.
14k means a perfect knife made with time and passion.
Kato chose to make a blade quickly with a finish that every young polisher would feel ashamed with.
I feel like I’m beating a dead horse with this, but at the price Kato tamahagane go for, people can just purchase real swords with full polishes and all the fittings. And the value of swords from sword smiths will appreciate in value greater over time if you want collectible value.

Kato is a really great knife maker, but he’s not a good sword smith IMO. His tamahagane is for knife nut suckers.

Last edited:
+
I feel like I’m beating a dead horse with this, but at the price Kato tamahagane go for, people can just purchase real swords with full polishes and all the fittings. And the value of swords from sword smiths will appreciate in value greater over time if you want collectible value.

Kato is a really great knife maker, but he’s not a good sword smith IMO. His tamahagane is for knife nut suckers.
+1

Get

When's the last Kato produced a sword?

Doesn't he market his swords under a different name? Thought thats what I read.

Well not sure how many knives have popped up. Anybody know if his output has decreased over the months recently?

He has had back issues for a long time now - at least a few years from all the sources that i have dealt with.

This is one of the many reasons that he no longer makes dammy Katos. To be fair, he doesn't make much of anything besides gyutos.

from what I have been told- he makes 1 knife every 2-3 days is a rough estimate.

Back