• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Kato, Kaiju, Takeda Classic AS (old grind),

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markcg

Reaction score
Thought I’d post my 2022 wish list and keep my fingers crossed!

K Kato:
K-tip yanagiba
Takohiki
Usuba
̶H̶o̶n̶e̶s̶u̶k̶i̶
Petty 180mm~
Any dammies/kikuryu

Ashi Honyaki:
Wa handles / single bevels

Kaiju:
Any steel with kiribox

Takeda Classic AS (old grind):
Deba
Gyuto

Happy to trade doubles +\- cash, or straight money. I know these are all long shots, but nothing ventured nothing gained as they say. Thanks as always KKF!

Last edited:
I literally just thought what I’d like to see being sold, and listed it lol. Don’t think I’ve even seen a picture of a Kato usuba before.

forgive me if im wrong here, but couldnt you just do this yourself/send it off to have it done?

ive seen so many posts about this but it seems like such an easy solution.

The new grinds are really too thin to push the bevel up by much. They are pretty different knives.

Any pictures available? I’ve seen newer Takeda AS but they still had a super similar grind to mine
Agreed. I would love to see the “old” Takeda grinds. I have few new ones and j have thought about lowering the angle of the final bevel just to see what happens. My Bunka has a more extreme “arrowhead” as you described it and I’m curious how it would perform with that being more shallow. Aside from that, his knives feel FANTASTIC in hand, the heat treat is super on point and they sharpen up like nobody’s business. I would recommend a brand new one to anyone. I am however curious about this mysterious “old Takeda” grind. I’ve heard this many times.

Some info and pics on these threads. I don’t have one myself sadly. You can see the bevel is much wider and it isn’t a ground or hollow in the middle.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/takeda-classic-240-old-grind.56665/

https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpr...c-yanagiba-versus-ashi-hamono-ginga-sujihiki/
Thank you very much!

It’s really a shame he doesn’t still make this an option. Granted I only got my Takeda because it looked like it could handle being a Teppanyaki knife, I’d be interested in a classic grind like that

I wonder what my new one would perform like if I just thinned out the bevel down to a “regular” grind. I mean they are very thin so I don’t think it would take that long. There isn’t that much steel. This almost looks convex though which is super sick. Regardless, Takedas are still great knives. I know people like to say they “used to be…” but my current ones could shave a fly

Those old Takedas were insanely sharp, but really fragile. The return rate on those were high with all the chipping. Probably been close to 10 years since those were made. Haven’t seen one for sale in ages!

Haven’t had great interaction with that seller :/ Coupled with the fact it would be a double for me, it isn’t the highest on the list.

Able to get a takeda and 2 Katos so far, thank you KKF! Updated the list a bit, and bumping!

Back