• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Kato WH 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vladimir

Reaction score
Kato WH 240

Tall heel-45

Heel to tip 235

will go to JKI (Jon kindly agreed refinish to suji)

cd28335542ab2552732bd51fa3be7925.jpg

a496e12d721396f380f18fdd04d6b1a9.jpg

2a4632b0173d4f8d76780f68cb1d9569.jpg

0b24d0ff4d39dc00c6e603cfca8115e7.jpg

9ce389d12b1c17d5096aed918dc35cb9.jpg

Last edited:
Man someone went to town on the tip of that thing. You ought to look into having it ground down to a 210 or so and refinished. Would likely be worth more then what your asking even after cost of refinishing.

I remember that knife, it was offered to me a few months ago. The guy messed it up trying to thin it iirc.

I thought it looked odly shaped, when I looked at it earlier.

How can you messed up a knife in that way just thinning?? [emoji848] The guy sure chipped very bad and then fix it..

The guy was basically giving this away, I looked at it and laughed and told him I wasn’t interested. He wanted to trade me for my zdp Sukenari. The op most likely has 300 to 400 invested in this.

you are absolutely right, I was deceived by the kkf member “OsiKosi” in Poland his name is Oskar Guttman (I think it should be avoided for business) he told me that it has a heel 48.1mm and a special profile, rare Kato. I gave him my knife for $ 900, but when I received Kato, I realized that the man had deceived me, I wrote to him, but he stopped talking to me ... it’s unpleasant, but have to go further. So, now I see this kato can be used as slim gyuto or given to the master for conversion as sujihiki, the length of 235mm allows it

What ashame. Honestly this is not the first time I have seen people put wonky grinds on knives and try to pass them off. I’m not very active on bst with new member or guys I don’t know anymore. Good luck moving on.

in the top there is all the information + pictures so that no one is deceived

It happened and I will have to lose $,
so I’m ready to listen to all reasonable offers for the price, if not - I’ll go to suji with it .

you are absolutely right, I was deceived by the kkf member “OsiKosi” in Poland his name is Oskar Guttman (I think it should be avoided for business) he told me that it has a heel 48.1mm and a special profile, rare Kato. I gave him my knife for $ 900, but when I received Kato, I realized that the man had deceived me, I wrote to him, but he stopped talking to me ... it’s unpleasant, but have to go further. So, now I see this kato can be used as slim gyuto or given to the master for conversion as sujihiki, the length of 235mm allows it

He tried to trade it to me twice, once for my "James" honyaki and the other for my Ittetsu honyaki. The second time he sent photos and I asked him about the tip because it didn't look right. Said he got it like that. When I asked where he bought it he stopped messaging me. GL.

in the top there is all the information + pictures so that no one is deceived

It happened and I will have to lose $,
so I’m ready to listen to all reasonable offers for the price, if not - I’ll go to suji with it .

Ever heard the term, making lemonade from lemons? I'd talk to one of the resident experts here on how to turn this into a proper suji. It would be one of a kind and probably very useful knife worth greater then the combined value you would have invested in it.

Last edited:
That guy tried to trade this to me for my sukenari honyaki and Mazaki I have on BST a while back too. Sounds like he was just trying to unload this everywhere. It’s a shame people pull this kind of crap

after I sent him my knife, he hid from me and didn't send Kato to me, I had to stop my package when it was in Poland, only after that he sent knife to me, I think he didn’t want send anything, so I was lucky I have this Kato.
I hope he is happy with my Yoshihide gyuto 270

Last edited:
this guy, Oskar Guttman,

bde0844a5e32a8dee3ff221b147cacb9.jpg

after I sent him my knife, he hid from me and didn't send Kato to me, I had to stop my package when she was in Poland, only after that he sent knife to me, I think he didn’t want send your knife to me , so I was lucky I have this Kato. I hope he is happy with my Yoshihide gyuto 270

What a scumbag move. Is he on the forums? Know his name?

Vlad, sorry this happened to you. Happens to us all at some point. Rest assure that his day will come at some point, karma will always get ya.

Vlad,

I am sorry that happened to you. I hope he doesn't do to your Yoshihide what he did to the Kato! Some thoughts...

No way a 240 kato gyuto has a 45mm height

The height sounds plausible. Maybe a little short? Other online sources report 49mm and 47-52mm.

I'd talk to one of the resident experts here on how to turn this into a proper suji

One complication is that sujis are typically thin and Kato workhorses are not! This would either mean a whole lot of grinding to thin the knife or a thick/heavy slicer. I would be weary of thinning too much. If you want to preserve the kanji - the top of the spine will remain ~5mm thick at the heel (for reference my suji is ~3mm). Even moderate thinning would be a big job!

You ought to look into having it ground down to a 210 or so and refinished.

This might be an easier option. A perfectionist might worry this would shift the 'balance' of where the kanji are positioned. The upside is that it would be relatively less work than regrinding/thinning to a suji. Still... if you wanted to maintain the profile of a gyuto, the height might need to be lowered (a lot of work). So perhaps a 210mm santoku-esque profile is the fastest restoration?

Vlad; given the knife has had an abusive past, could you tell us if anything else appears to be bungled? For instance was the polish done to hide any rust/pitting. Is the kanji relatively intact or did the polishing round it off?

everything else is in good condition, I think it only lost about 5mm on the heel and a little bit raised up. kanji in good condition, the knife did not have pitting. I looked at the sizes of suji Kato on the jns site and it always has 5mm thickness, never heard that it was 3mm. I am sure it will be a very good suji Kato

Back