Keep or lose the new like feature?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feelings on the new like feature?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like the like button. I think it can be a useful way of agreeing with a post without having to +1. Sometimes a post is well written that I have nothing further to add in a beneficial way. So I like being able to agree without having to say anything, If a post is well liked or if it is liked by well known members it can provide users with a better sense of who is listening and what they think about a topic. For example a user asks about a product and a second user makes a suggestion which garners a dozen likes while a third user makes a suggestion that gets 2 likes it lends more weight to the first suggestion. Also if I make a post about say sharpening advice and several well known gurus like my post it let's me know that I'm on the right track. I like that affirmation. Keep the like button.

From a practical standpoint I think it would be a good idea to maintain the forum as close to possible as it was before the update. If a “like” feature is added, it should be done after any growing pains from the new format are over. IMO best to disable the feature for a month or two and revisit the issue then. Everyone will be more acclimated and informed at that time.

From a practical standpoint I think it would be a good idea to maintain the forum as close to possible as it was before the update. If a “like” feature is added, it should be done after any growing pains from the new format are over. IMO best to disable the feature for a month or two and revisit the issue then. Everyone will be more acclimated and informed at that time.
Makes sense to my tiny brain.

We need way more than just ‘like’, let me help you to get started in the right direction [emoji6]:
‘Like’
‘Dislike’
‘That is a complete bollocks!’
‘I did not read it, but I think it is wrong’
‘I did not understand a word, so I think it is wrong’
‘Duuude!’
‘Hoss did not like it either’

[emoji39] [emoji56]

I am sure Doom Chef could add a fee more with more juice [emoji846]

I don't mind the likes (sometimes I really want to like a post!), would like dislikes. Absolutely HATE the "likes received" being displayed under the avatar. I don't see a problem with posts getting likes or dislikes as a form of approval/disapproval but the likes received by a user being displayed is what seems childish to me.

I like the like button. I think it can be a useful way of agreeing with a post without having to +1. Sometimes a post is well written that I have nothing further to add in a beneficial way. So I like being able to agree without having to say anything, If a post is well liked or if it is liked by well known members it can provide users with a better sense of who is listening and what they think about a topic. For example a user asks about a product and a second user makes a suggestion which garners a dozen likes while a third user makes a suggestion that gets 2 likes it lends more weight to the first suggestion. Also if I make a post about say sharpening advice and several well known gurus like my post it let's me know that I'm on the right track. I like that affirmation. Keep the like button.

The only problem with the latter part of your post is that it becomes reclusive rather than inclusive. New and sometimes not so new members may not know who the other experienced members are liking your sharpening post comment. In other forums that run this concept I’ve spent more time trying to vet the ‘likers/dislikers’ by reading through their backlog of posts/comments than I would have reading a single affirmation/rebuttal and getting a better sense of what the poster actually thinks. Likes feel dismissive and shortcut-esque in my opinion. And no offense to Devin, but if you can’t be bothered to chime in- that’s okay. There’s been times where I really wanted to add my two cents but I was too tired or busy or whatever the hell. This community has proven in the past that it’s better off with honest, sincere communication than all the bells and whistles on every damn social media platform nowadays. This is coming from a very non-Luddite. I have the full suite of Apple products, AirPods, iPhone 8, Apple Watch, iPad Pro. I’m fully plugged in, and I use them all to mess around on the interwebs and spend too much time on instagram and Reddit to be sure. But... It’s nice to come here and just converse, argue, express, etc. I’ve made some truly quality friends that I’ve met and drank/ate with thanks to this forum, due- I’d like to think- to actually getting to know someone thanks to them voicing their opinions. I dunno, it just feels a little more personal to me without the other crap. Call me crazy, call me nostalgic, but I don’t dig the likes or anything akin to a voting system. Express yourselves!

I voted against the "like" feature because it's a step to taking away a pivotal piece of dialogue in a community. If someone states an opinion that you like or dislike then you should respond with why you disagree/agree and corresponding data to back it up. The whole purpose of this forum is to get people talking about their experiences.

I think the "conversationalist" format of this board is one of its strong points,
and don't find scrollin thru a couple +1 posts to be all that in-efficient.

one of my biggest pet peeves was when people would reply to a post that has pictures in it and would repost the entire thing, i think that has been remedied in the new software which i love.

one of my biggest pet peeves was when people would reply to a post that has pictures in it and would repost the entire thing, i think that has been remedied in the new software which i love.

Duly noted, but I’m not sure how that applies to the ‘like’ feature we’re all trying to decide upon...

I think we need more gifs personally.

So I could say
stick_figure_liking_it_md_wm_v2.gif

But then y'all just be like
tumblr_o4eot22MJC1rftd4vo1_400.gif

Last edited:
I would enjoy a dislike feature, nice way of saying s.t.f.u.
I'm sure you have perfected that skill already ;). I vote for losing because of the popularity contest it will become (which has been mentioned a lot already)

Lol :tearsflowingfromeyes: i heckled him relentlessly at the first us festival.. he didn’t 'like' me the most out of a quarter million folks that mf'n hot day.. actually called me out, kinda like.. let me do my thing even though I suck.. oh well he got some more :)
I went nay on 'like' mostly cause panda caught up to me.

To be fair I saw it as an acknowledgement that somebody could hit without the need for text. Especially when @Angie et al was busy but wanted to knucklebump in the thick of all these adjustments. Example would be me responding on martells subforum where he knows i already thanked him via pm but felt the need to thank chinacats cause my reply is still waiting for mod approval from the moment the forum change lol.. Dave hit like because no need for extra blah blah.. now on the flip side china really should’ve liked that.
Panda has it right with variations .. this I like

Back