Keeping parts flat? Wa handle making question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PappaG

Reaction score
I'm all set to glue my Wa handle pieces together. I have read how important it is that all the components are flat (or the spaces on the handle will be visible). Well I guess its no surprise, but my pieces are not flat. there are small gaps in between. I will use die for my epoxy, but i'm guessing that won't cover up any gaps.

What is the best way to flatten the different pieces. for example the bottom of the ferrule piece - how to I flatten it. I have been trying, just by having my sandpaper flat on the kitchen table. Not working great. I still see a small gap.

Suggestions for achieving flatness?

I flatten on sandpaper, on a piece of glass. Just guessing, but maybe your paper is too course. Finer paper will (should) help the gaps disappear.

How are you cutting your pieces? I use a decent tablesaw; that leaves me flat/square pieces.

band saw and scroll saw. The are not flat. I'm not ready to glue up yet.

band saw and scroll saw. The are not flat. I'm not ready to glue up yet.

Not sure where you are, but if I were you, I would look at a cheap tablesaw and or 4x36 belt sander on Craigslist(used)

Interesting. Ok. I'll look into a used table saw. Thanks guys. one of these weekends I'll have an update on the handles.

If you can't find a table saw, a miter saw should work. Electric or hand powered will work, but no matter which you use, you need to use an accurate square to make sure the cut is square.

Table saw with a cross cut sled, and material clamped to sled so you can still have five fingers. Then sand flat with 220 on reference plate using figure 8 motion.

If your sanding is sloppy, you'll get gaps.
If you drill crooked holes you'll get gaps.
If you can't cut square you get gaps.
If your spacers aren't flat and equal thickness you'll get gaps.
If you don't clamp correctly you get gaps.
If your clamps flex, you'll probably get gaps.

Word of advice on a table saw. Get a cabinet saw, even if it's an older one. The bench tops or the portables, will not give you the cut you're looking for. Stay away from the orange ones, the yellow ones, the green ones, etc.. They will cut ok, but still leave a lot of sanding. Nothing cuts like a saw with a few hundred pounds of cast iron in it. I'm a retired cabinet builder, 55 years of table saws etc.

Rather than spending all that money, you could cut with a hand saw, square it up with a chisel, and just keep checking that its square. Eventually you'll learn to cut straight with a handsaw.

Back