• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Kenji Togashi honyaki gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwalker

Reaction score
For your consideration, a mizu-honyaki gyuto by Kenji Togashi in white #2 from K&S. I believe this to be an early example of "the James" profile Sakai Takayuki honyaki gyutos that you can find on K&S Sydney site. The kanji is different but it is the same knife. I received this knife in trade from the original owner who never used it but began a polishing progression. I never worked on the polish further because I really like it just like it is. I would describe it as a hazy semi-mirror which looks great and is super easy to maintain. This knife cuts great and has decent food separation while still having a thin enough tip to slide through onions. It is a really good all round grind and quite thin behind the edge. I have used the knife a fair amount and have to say the edge retention is impressive. I gave it an initial sharpening which didn't take much and all I've done since is an occasional stropping. It has an ebony and horn octagonal handle. The knife will not ship in it's original box due to it not fitting with the handle installed (it arrived to me with the handle but not installed). It has a little patina on it at the moment that I can remove by request. It does not have a saya but you could probably get one from James at K&S.

Heel to tip: 247mm
Height: 55.2mm
Weight: 272g / 9.6oz
Spine above heel: 3.1mm
Spine halfway: 2.7mm
Spine 1cm from tip: 1.2
Price: $1050 shipped domestic $1080 shipped international

3jEvoSY.jpg

10zCFk3.jpg

2W0Yz2F.jpg

1afVNsg.jpg

LsTnv6S.jpg

PEF5tiQ.jpg

Price drop $875. It has come to my attention that the kanji on this knife reads ‘Tatsumitsu’ followed by 'Byakuen' or 'Hyakuen' (white flame). I am told that this is not a normal kanji that Togashi uses. I received this knife more than 2 years ago and have always assumed that it is an early example of the knife currently sold at K&S. I am confident that the knife is indeed a Togashi sold by K&S but I wanted to relay all the info I have on it so any potential buyer knows exactly what they are getting.

This is 100% Togashi from K&S and what an amazing price. I think brand new is around 1400ish?

Yes anytime you can get a honyaki for less than a 1k your doing pretty good. But I also by the maker as well and if that is suspect I'd like to get expert input

So sorry to keep everyone waiting. I had some emergency family out of town stuff come up that kept me off the forum for a few days. I have responded to all the PMs.

Back