Kikuichimonji Honyaki Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friz

Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been recently looking at auctions in Japan, of Japanese knives in particular.
I noticed there is a person, or probably more than one, who knows what Western 'knives afecionados' are interested in, and buy those knives in Japanese shops,for then auction them online so that we can outbid each other, most of the times ending up overpaying them., and for him to make a profit.
I am writing this here because I have come across of one example today and I don't want this guy to make any profit this time, as I happen to know exactly what he paid for the knife he just auctioned.
The knife has been auctioned today and it is a Kikuichi Honyaki Gyuto.
Kikuichimonji listed 3 Honyaki Gyutos, one each length 240mm 270mm 300mm and they were listed
respectively for 80000yen, 90000yen and 100000yen. Now sold out and probably coming up for grabs in the famous auction japanese website that most of the people here know.
Please don't encourage these people, please be aware at least of what is happening.
Hope this helps,
Nicola.

Out of curiosity, who is the ebayer you’re talking about? I’m not planning to drop those amounts of money on a knife on eBay. But it’s good to know more.

It is not ebay the website I am talking about. It is a Japanese website of Auctions, anything in there not only knives.

upload_2020-3-6_17-23-20.jpeg

The way I understand it Kikuichimonji is a knife store in Kyoto, and Kikuichi is a knife brand, and both are unrelated.
It is my impression that Kikuichimonji sells brand labeled knives - which I do not mean as a negative comment.

I bought the the 240, no plans on selling it. I wish I knew more about who made it, sharpener and such but its a great knife, much thinner than the Ikeda Honkayis I've had. Comes in a pretty gold box too. Lol.

I also own a B#1 from that store. Beautiful blade but the same thing, I don't know anything about the maker or sharpener. Its actually in classifieds a few pages back for less than was paid originally.

Last edited:
I wish there were more information about these.
I know for certain they had Ashi Honyaki in stock not long ago, and the same guy snatched them and put them on auction. For these though, I don't know what they gone for originally.

I wish there were more information about these.
I know for certain they had Ashi Honyaki in stock not long ago, and the same guy snatched them and put them on auction. For these though, I don't know what they gone for originally.

Hmm, are you sure about this..

I thought he got them from elsewhere

I know 5 from that batch went to guys here on kkf

not sure he was the guy, but at the same time he auctioned Ashis. So it might just have been timing and coincidence.

Hmm, are you sure about this..

I thought he got them from elsewhere

I know 5 from that batch went to guys here on kkf

So what was the price of those Ashi Honyakis?

Back