Kinda Clueless New Guy Next Knife or…

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

ModRQC

Insufferable Member
Reaction score
A denka followed by a compulsion to talk about wabisabi?

That's actually inevitable... if one keeps around KKF at least.

What kind of surprises should I be expecting?

It's always a surprise. I like your purchase though. Almost bought one myself couple days ago. Then I fell in love with a knife at a third of the price. It won't be no TF. But it'll be fun and should pack a few surprises as well.

I also like your collection and dedication. Good to have you around here.

Reaction score
That's actually inevitable... if one keeps around KKF at least.

It's always a surprise. I like your purchase though. Almost bought one myself couple days ago. Then I fell in love with a knife at a third of the price. It won't be no TF. But it'll be fun and should pack a few surprises as well.

I also like your collection and dedication. Good to have you around here.
Thanks for the welcome.

Now I feel like I should get rid of some of the production knives, but I’m afraid that their resale value will be so low that it won’t be worth the hassle.

ModRQC

Insufferable Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome.

Now I feel like I should get rid of some of the production knives, but I’m afraid that their resale value will be so low that it won’t be worth the hassle.

It’s a matter of a spotless mind. If they’re bothering you sell them at a loss. If money or presence is of no concern, they’ll find use or be given to loved ones along the way or eventually sold. My first year here I sold a few and made a giveaway of a few. Feel good still with losing 300 bucks AND giving away 250$ more. It really cleaned a clutter out of mine mind.

My actual take on all of it is: yes buy the maker before steel but mostly buy what you’re inspired with. Same goes with selling. Same goes with giving. And I’ll add -try a few from a maker you’re impressed with… or even steels if just that. When sharpening you soon just want to compare a few of a same steel but different HT and ways of shaping and grinding.

Just feel good about it and when you won’t, know why you don’t, and act on it - ideally with a pure whism at something more no matter steel nor maker.

Hope this helps some.

Delat

Dazed & Confused
Reaction score
Just feel good about it and when you won’t, know why you don’t, and act on it - ideally with a pure whism at something more no matter steel nor maker.

Buying on a whim got me into trouble today. I wasn’t planning on buying anything for a few months since I have a couple customs in the works and one just arrived a couple days ago and then bam, two irresistible deals hit my radar and I just had to pull the trigger.

Half an hour later my wife asks, “Did you buy a new knife?” Me panicking, “OMG did she see the credit card charge already?” Her “Frederick Spare, looks pretty”. Me, “oh thank god it’s the one that just arrived that I posted to IG, the other two are still secret, whew”.

I really don’t recommend buying on a whim. But apparently I have no self control so I’m going to continue doing it.

ModRQC

Insufferable Member
Reaction score
Okay point taken…

Informed whim them.

A few I bought on it changed my vision of knives. At some point it’s give and take… need to try, but mostly my point was to feel good with one’s purchase.

Mind you most of my whims are less expensive nice alternatives to a purchase I’m hesistant with pricing but looking at avidly anyway. I just can’t afford whims beyond 300-400$ CAD ballpark without more tight scrutiny - most often then dismissed.

But that 200$ Kaji-Bei I’m waiting for was a whim and I feel so good with it.

Reaction score
Okay point taken…

Informed whim them.

A few I bought on it changed my vision of knives. At some point it’s give and take… need to try, but mostly my point was to feel good with one’s purchase.

Mind you most of my whims are less expensive nice alternatives to a purchase I’m hesistant with pricing but looking at avidly anyway. I just can’t afford whims beyond 300-400$ CAD ballpark without more tight scrutiny - most often then dismissed.

It’s definitely time for my whims to slow down. I spent more than I planned, but not more than I can afford. Sometimes I just prefer to afford other things.

ModRQC

Insufferable Member
Reaction score
So now you know how you feel act accordingly.

I also never buy like 4 knives in a row not remembering which is what with customs incoming so I would’t know. I buy unexpensive or ballpark whims. TFs and Y. Tanaka or a custom came one at a time

To each his own… again the point of my message was to get the feel good equilibrium. I don’t have to justify incoming/outgoing boxes neither so that’s a thing. For more than a year I’ve felt good with purchases and BST. They come they go they stay a while forever or really go a second time around. I don’t care as long as the flow and gems keep rolling.

Delat

Dazed & Confused
Reaction score
Okay point taken…

Informed whim them.

Oh I’m with you. One I got today was a limited-supply budget Andrei Markin so I needed to jump on it, but he’s been on my radar for a while. The other really was a whim, a Smedja Aspen s-grind. Neither was over $400 so not nosebleed territory. I give more serious consideration to knives over $500.

I feel like I really need to use a knife for several weeks to get to know it, so it just doesn’t make much sense for me to buy more than one a month otherwise they just stack up and make me feel bad as the unused ones look at me with sad puppy dog eyes.

Jason183

Reaction score
Buying on a whim got me into trouble today. I wasn’t planning on buying anything for a few months since I have a couple customs in the works and one just arrived a couple days ago and then bam, two irresistible deals hit my radar and I just had to pull the trigger.

Half an hour later my wife asks, “Did you buy a new knife?” Me panicking, “OMG did she see the credit card charge already?” Her “Frederick Spare, looks pretty”. Me, “oh thank god it’s the one that just arrived that I posted to IG, the other two are still secret, whew”.

I really don’t recommend buying on a whim. But apparently I have no self control so I’m going to continue doing it.
My knife journey probably won’t gonna end sooner if I don’t have a “wife problem”. I can’t keep lying to her that I bought the Yoshikazu Tanaka etc for only $50 on eBay, and then went to destroyed my monthly bank letter before she found out.
@OldSaw seemed to have a very good passionate start, TF consider one of the godly blade on this forum, IDK if you’re gonna get more improvement performance wise cause your expectations already this high at the start of the J-knife journey, but do check out some more western makers too, I would keep exploring the western makers world if I’m you, keep it up.

Jovidah

Vocal amateur
Reaction score
I'd say 'try to figure out your preferences'. I don't think there's much of a point in just buying a gazillion more knives without really taking the time to get to know them. But if you branch out try to go for knives that are significantly different in at least one way or another so you can get a feel for the different styles and trade-offs being made in knifemaking so you can figure out what you actually like best in a knife.

So for example you try a workhorse, a laser, you try full carbon, you try stainless, you try clad knives, you try monosteel, you try western handle, you try wa-handle, you try different profiles, you try different lengths, etc.
In the end its somewhat straight-forward to suggest people things to try once they nailed down their preferences, but nailing down preferences is something that IMO can only really be done by trying stuff. There's really no substitute for just trying something for a while.

Also, try to avoid this FOMO. The world isn't going to run out of knives anytime soon. And even if certain makers might become scarce there's always other makers. Even if knife (line) X sells out, don't sweat it... plenty of alternatives on the market. Even if all you had for the rest of your life was 2 cheap Victorinox knives you'd still be perfectly fine for anything you want to do in the kitchen.

Delat

Dazed & Confused
Reaction score
I'd say 'try to figure out your preferences'. I don't think there's much of a point in just buying a gazillion more knives without really taking the time to get to know them. But if you branch out try to go for knives that are significantly different in at least one way or another so you can get a feel for the different styles and trade-offs being made in knifemaking so you can figure out what you actually like best in a knife.

So for example you try a workhorse, a laser, you try full carbon, you try stainless, you try clad knives, you try monosteel, you try western handle, you try wa-handle, you try different profiles, you try different lengths, etc.
In the end its somewhat straight-forward to suggest people things to try once they nailed down their preferences, but nailing down preferences is something that IMO can only really be done by trying stuff. There's really no substitute for just trying something for a while.

Also, try to avoid this FOMO. The world isn't going to run out of knives anytime soon. And even if certain makers might become scarce there's always other makers. Even if knife (line) X sells out, don't sweat it... plenty of alternatives on the market. Even if all you had for the rest of your life was 2 cheap Victorinox knives you'd still be perfectly fine for anything you want to do in the kitchen.

This is great advice and mostly how I’ve been buying for a while. My last few purchases have included my first monosteel, first honyaki, first 52100, first s-grind, etc.

I’m perfectly happy with how my current knives cut, just mainly trying out different things out of curiosity at this point. Once in a while I’ll jump on a hype train for fun (Frederick Space MCX, deeply discounted Myojin from Home Butcher, etc) realizing that hey, it’s just for fun.

The great thing is most knives can be sold for just a small loss on BST. I probably need to round up a few for sale, myself.