King 1000 how sharp

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkhcurry

Reaction score
Soooo I got my King 1000 from Japanese Knife Imports (great business) I will be ordering other supplies from them. Anyway found a 5" Cuisinart Santoku in the back of one of the kitchen drawers to practice on. Since it was completely dull I used my Lansky system at 17 degrees to get a OK edge on it then soaked the King and began sharpening. I've sharpened and sharpened and the edge has gotten as sharp as I can seem to get it. It will cut paper but it won't slice it like my wife's new Global knife (i know bought them before i found this site). Anyway should I be able to get the knife as sharp as her out of the box Global with just the King 1000?

The cuisinart santoku is probably made of steel that will not take as sharp an edge as the Global will. Cheaper stainless knives are usually harder to get a good edge out of. It also takes some practice to get really great results freehand.

That is true, but not on a King 1k. They will both take the edge off a king 1k to it's fullest...though they will retain it differently.

This is a simple question with a complex answer.

To be totally literal, YOU may not be able to get a good edge off a King 1k. I don't mean offense, but it might be that you aren't getting the edge as even and clean as one would want for a finished product.

Also, the edge on a global from the factory is WAY more finished than a hand-sharpened 1k edge. It's not mind-blowing, but honestly a 1k stone edge is not what I would leave on anything.

The other thing is that the Cuisinart isn't nearly ground as considerately as the Global, like most big-box-store factory blades, it is basically a sheet of steel in the vague shape of a kitchen knife. The Global, while not being a feat of engineering, is still made to work as a kitchen tool.

The cuisinart will never be it's best unless it is sharpened on a powered belt. It can be good, but not as good as off a belt(plus the belt is waaaay easier). For home cooks, it's actually less practical to have a cheapo knife than to have a middle-of-the-road knife that takes an edge that is worthy of you putting your time into it.

Regardless, I would get another stone, a fine grit honing rod or an agressive strop to go with what you have.

Welcome to KKF!
:ntmy:

not to be a total ass, but i'm quite positive i can get a better than ootb edge with a king 1k relative to a golbal ootb edge and i think thats where people need to shoot for... it wont happen right away and for a while it wont be as good, but it is possible (though its hard with crappier steels).

not to be a total ass, but i'm quite positive i can get a better than ootb edge with a king 1k relative to a golbal ootb edge and i think thats where people need to shoot for... it wont happen right away and for a while it wont be as good, but it is possible (though its hard with crappier steels).

+1

I agree with this. I once bought a king 1k to see what all the "its an ok stone" thing was about. Frankly I like the king 1k a lot, it isn't very fast, dishes like hell and leaves a good looking kasumi finish (IMHO). Anyway I sharpened a bunch of globals on it and I am starting to think theres a certain hate towards anything that doesn't have a "soul"... whatever that means. Globals are good knives they get pretty sharp and can take a beating, bashing knives because you don't like them is kinda so last year. (not implying anyone is doing so btw)

I still have to see a piece of metal in the shape of a knife (and I mean any metal, even chinese stainless 1 dollar knives which by forum standards are lower than cockroaches on the evolution scale) that can't get sharp enough to slice paper and push cut. Sure one slice on any board and the edge is gone, other knives like Devins AEBL gets so sharp that you can literally shave meat which is freaking awesome.

Once your good at sharpening you should be able to do most anything with a king 1k and a 20 dllr stamped knife IMO.

I've heard that King's can dish fairly quickly, so if you're grinding away to get a good edge on a Global or Cuisinart a flattening plate should be the next purchase.

Thanks for the replies...I think I just need to keep on sharpening.

Yeah a King 1k will get you a plenty sharp and usable edge. Much better than the ootb edge on the Global

All I use to sharpen my Global G2 is a Bester 1200, and it gets a much sharper than when I got it. No need to polish it any higher IMO, so the King 1K should be perfect.

Just use the king as both, sharpening and honing stone. Change moves and pressures and I also think you should get exciting results. After use newsprint to strop and It will get even better

Does that Global really come ootb with a lesser edge than a King 1k??

I mean, crap, that's worse than a Tojiro.

So I practiced this morning for about 3 hours on my wifes Emerilware Wusthof. I sharpened and sharpened and sharpened...I was getting a little depressed because it seemed to stay pretty much the same. I could cut paper with it but not with the same ease as the Global. It wouldn't just slice it like it wasn't there. Anyway I put everything away and was just thinking about what I could have done differently to make it take the same sort of edge as the Global. Finally I got my leather belt that I wear every day and stropped the knife about 4 times on each side; WOW now it cuts very close to the Global. Slicing right through the paper with no problem at all. Made me think about the Cusienart that I started with, so I got it and stropped it and I was wow'ed once again at how it sliced now. So I'm guessing that's all it needed.

I still wouldn't say either one is as good as the Global out of the box right now, but the Wusthof is very very close.

I'm a total Rookie here

Are you deburring? You should cut into some cork or rubber a few times, then do edge-trailing strokes on the stone. Then cut into cork/rubber again and then strop it on the belt 10 times, alternating sides.

It's a ghetto-rigged edge, but you have to make sure you are deburring, because you may have just used the belt to align the wire edge, which will appear grabby and sharp, but is the weakest possible edge. Then if you follow up by stropping on ANYTHING that is not a stone, the results will be noticeable. It's the action, not the medium, that has the greatest impact.

That's not to say that better media aren't worthwhile...I'm just saying that years ago when I learned to sharpen on a 2k stone, one day, I stropped on a piece of cardboard and the results were noticeable.

yep, the deburring piece is critical. fwiw, I got a king 1000 as my first water stone 5years ago and still really like it. I'd be very surprised by any company--other than carter-- that ships an ootb edge better than you can get with that stone .

After reading the previous post I took and ran both knives through a thick piece of rubber several times. I didn't do any trailing strokes on the stone (don't understand what that means). Then I stropped them again several times and they feel very very sharp.

+2

ive used that same king 1000 and stropped on cardboard from a broken down box in a kitchen and gotten an edge i would put up against any OOTB global

keep your head up it just takes practice and the king 1000 is a great one to do that with

So I practiced this morning for about 3 hours on my wifes Emerilware Wusthof. I sharpened and sharpened and sharpened...I was getting a little depressed because it seemed to stay pretty much the same. I could cut paper with it but not with the same ease as the Global. It wouldn't just slice it like it wasn't there. Anyway I put everything away and was just thinking about what I could have done differently to make it take the same sort of edge as the Global. Finally I got my leather belt that I wear every day and stropped the knife about 4 times on each side; WOW now it cuts very close to the Global. Slicing right through the paper with no problem at all. Made me think about the Cusienart that I started with, so I got it and stropped it and I was wow'ed once again at how it sliced now. So I'm guessing that's all it needed.

I still wouldn't say either one is as good as the Global out of the box right now, but the Wusthof is very very close.

I'm a total Rookie here

It can be kind of self defeating sharpening really cheap/bad knives. You can sharpen them on the stones all you want, they'll never get sharp. Knives like wustoff and henkels will take a good edge. Like mentioned above, debut on cork or rubber. I find using the honing rod helps for deburing softer steels. I leave my wustoff and sabatier at a 1k finish. Practice on good knives and you'll have good results.

......I didn't do any trailing strokes on the stone (don't understand what that means)...

Edge leading strokes are where you are pushing or pulling the edge towards the stone like you are slicing the stone.
Edge trailing strokes are the opposite, similar to stropping

If you switch hands, then always have the edge away from you and start at the top of the stone and bring it back toward you. If you don't, I guess that is where the pushing and pulling comes into play.

Back