King 300

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

cotedupy

Reaction score
I’ve used one of these belonging to a friend a little while back and seemed pretty reasonable to me. But just wondering if anyone who’s owned and used one properly had any thoughts or opinions? How does it stack up against other similar grit waterstones? Scratch patterns on cladding?

TY!

M1k3

Nobody wants to work....FOR YOU!!
Reaction score
Hard but not Shapton Pro 120 hard. Middle of the road stone. Doesn't do anything spectacularly or bad. Good stone for the price.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Hard but not Shapton Pro 120 hard. Middle of the road stone. Doesn't do anything spectacularly or bad. Good stone for the price.

Ta! Yeah it seemed hard-ish to me but I didn’t know if that was because my mate kept it dry, and I only got a 20 min soak.

Got any favourites in the range of say 180 - 320...? I’m not massively worried about uber fast, as can use SiC for that, but would prefer something nicer feeling / with a lighter scratch pattern if I’m doing some thinning...

[Edit - Just remembered actually - Debado 180 seemed to be getting a lot of love on another thread, maybe I should be thinking about that.]

Reaction score
I use it in my soaking progression for clad knives after the Debado. I definitely like the feedback and speed better after it's been soaked for a few days. But I am a rank amateur when it comes to polishing and a relative newbie sharpening on soaked stones. I am much more familiar with splash and go and oil stones. But here's my progression when lately when I use it:

Debado 180/220

King 300

King 800

Suehiro 1000

JNS Red Aoto

M1k3

Reaction score
Ta! Yeah it seemed hard-ish to me but I didn’t know if that was because my mate kept it dry, and I only got a 20 min soak.

Got any favourites in the range of say 180 - 320...? I’m not massively worried about uber fast, as can use SiC for that, but would prefer something nicer feeling / with a lighter scratch pattern if I’m doing some thinning...

[Edit - Just remembered actually - Debado 180 seemed to be getting a lot of love on another thread, maybe I should be thinking about that.]
So far, Crystolon, Sigma 240 and situationally SP 120. None are "the one" for me. Haven't found that stone yet (which would be like SG 500 but coarser).

M1k3

Reaction score
Crystolon is my go to for Monosteel.
Yes!

Sigma 240 for most stuff other stuff in need of lots of thinning.

SP 120 for stainless clad in need of major thinning.

A little time on Naniwa 220 to even the finish out.

SG 500 followed by whatever I feel like using.

cotedupy

Reaction score
Well I got one of these because they're cheap, they stock them in my local woodworking shop, and I like most of the other Kings I've tried. Did really rather well in the never-ending battle vs. my in-laws 'Dishwasher Globals':

IMG-5402.jpg

For a low grit stone, I don't mind the feel of it either, but then I soaked it...

@M1k3 - in another thread you said this about them: 'Whether clay or vitrified, it's definitely not resinoid or magnesia bonded.'

That means I can soak it right? Magnesia bonded stones f up with soaking, but basically everything else is alright? I'm not expecting it to be better; it's just I permasoak most of my other synths, and it's convenient to have them all in the bucket together.

(FWIW - I think the stone is probably vitrified. Something about it reminds me of the SSII 1k, and I understand they are.)

KingShapton

Reaction score
I soak mine for about 30 minutes, then he's less thirsty.

I haven't tried Permasoak yet, but I think that shouldn't be a problem.

KingShapton

Reaction score
I like my King 300 more for carbon less for stainless. With stainless I always have the impression that the stone cuts less well - but that may also be my imagination..

Reaction score
Well I got one of these because they're cheap, they stock them in my local woodworking shop, and I like most of the other Kings I've tried. Did really rather well in the never-ending battle vs. my in-laws 'Dishwasher Globals':

View attachment 166018

For a low grit stone, I don't mind the feel of it either, but then I soaked it...

@M1k3 - in another thread you said this about them: 'Whether clay or vitrified, it's definitely not resinoid or magnesia bonded.'

That means I can soak it right? Magnesia bonded stones f up with soaking, but basically everything else is alright? I'm not expecting it to be better; it's just I permasoak most of my other synths, and it's convenient to have them all in the bucket together.

(FWIW - I think the stone is probably vitrified. Something about it reminds me of the SSII 1k, and I understand they are.)

I agree with @KingShapton and @M1k3

I permasoaked mine for a year to no ill effect. I use it after the Debado 220 in my soaking progression for clad knives. Don't care for it with stainless Monosteel

Reaction score
It it one of the Stones that I use the most, cheap and available in NZ.Great for repair work but not great for stainless as has been stated. I am looking for something that is better than the King 300 for stainless and thinning if there is some suggestions??