Kinife ID?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a few knives that were my dad's. He passed away last year and I've inherited them. The nakiri and the petty have the same Kanji. I am pretty sure he bought them in Japan while there on business at some point. The santoku I am not sure about. It looks cheaper, and says cosmic steel Kiya on it. Couldn't find much info on that. Any help would be appreciated. I'm not too concerned with how nice they are, more so for sentimental reasons (although I do plan on using them!). Thanks!

Having some trouble downloading the pictures... I'll try and figure out how to make them smaller!
rsKzpirH1yVM8OON2ECyexug8q-42wqiSf8Z7VPg7lo

X4MeUv0dTnTCwdj4UD9AAvnqxQW-xnSNDW49TnlmiCE

Kiya is a known established brand with it's head store in Nihonbashi. "Cosmic Steel" is Kiya's name for Powder Steel. Could be R2 SRS15 maybe even something
more expensive I don't know.

I visited Kiya's (large) head store about ten years ago, and I often saw their products in Tokyo department stores, and they seemed like a well-established brand. Seems they don't sell much to export markets though.

Cannot see them in desktop or mobile. I recommend uploading to postimage.org or similar and then pasting the forum links

There we go. Handsome knives. Santoku could be a "Kiya Blazen".

Also is it me but is the nakiri handle crooked or loose?

Great! Out of curiosity, did the pics show up in both posts?

And thank you! Yes, the Handle on the nakiri is all busted up - the ferule is definitely cracked and i think the handle must be cracked internally.

It's full size in post #1, thumbs in #2 but there are extra IMG tags visible as plaintext, and looks additionally a bit more funny on mobile for #2

Thanks Ken! So I see that Kappabashi Tsubaya is a shop in Japan to buy knives, but I couldn't find much information on the knives themselves. Does this shop make their own knives or are they from other makers?

Here is a video:
[video=youtube;rGGVEbwiB4U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGGVEbwiB4U[/video]

Like many cutlery stores in Japan I would guess that they have one or more makers under contract.
But I could be wrong, although I've been to the other two famous stores I never even walked into Tsubaya
so don't know anything about them.

Can a thread not go on to a third page?
Sorry What I meant is I actually only read first page then go searched the Kanji for OP immediately ,When I came back from searching then found out this thread ACTUALLY got 2nd page and 3 page that I was not aware! That mean I was spent 30 mins to search the Kanji for nothing...... : (
I am such an XXX! Sorry it was a long ass week....

: )

They use all sorts. On a current product catalog, which does not contain your older models I think, I see Aogami 2, Shirogami 2, Aogami, Ginsan, HSPS (probably R2) etc etc.
On your 2 knives, are there any marks on the OTHER side? Even simple ones like 白二 or 青紙 or anything similar?

http://miyakawa-co.net/tubaya-catalog-page.html

I have a 270 mm gyuto from that store. I really like it.

Btw. Mine is monosteel g3. It has a really nice convex grind. It has some heft at the spine, and gets very sharp very easy.

Back