Kintaro should I buy or not

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
JKI has Kintaro 210mm migaki black saya special in stock. Knife looks so tempting in the pictures that I can almost hear it scream “buy me”. Should I buy one or not? Does anyone have any experience how it performs?

I had Kanehiro version before which is pretty similar, It’s thin knife, not thin at the spine but it’s thinner than laser halfway down and behind the edge, the primary bevel felt liked hollow grind. Glide through hard dense vegetables effortlessly with good food release.

I have a Kintaro migaki 210mm gyuto. These are Takefu (Echizen) knives forged by Yoshimi Kato. The one I bought from JKI is stainless clad white #1 #2 san-mai. The profile is laser-ish - mine weighs 131 grams. It sharpens easy and holds the edge better than I expected. The octagonal wa handle is comfortable and good looking. I like the knife, but generally prefer a profile that tends more to the workhorse end of things. I like the Kintaro for onions and cabbage, but despise it on potatoes - stiction of potatoes is an issue.

I decided few months ago that next knife will be Shibata Kotetsu, if I can find one somewhere. When I saw this knife pictures I thought that maybe I can make exception 😄

That stiction of potatoes is an issue indeed. I guess it’s generally laser issue? Most of my knives are lasers so I’m kinda used to it.

Any knife suggestions which have good food release also with potatoes?

Most of my knives are Lasers also, I consider them my everyday “workhorse”. It really depends on what you cutting everyday. I don’t cut potatos at all but I do heard ones with thick convex workhorse type of grind are good at cutting potatoes, Nashiji finish also a plus on food release.

I don’t know anything about that knife but I know that:

1. If JKI carries it than it’s a quality product

And

2. If you have questions about if it’s the right knife for you then you can call over to JKI and they’ll have you “fitted” for the right knife.

I’ve got a Kintaro AS/ SS clad petty. They’re super thin knives, mine had enough low spots in the bevel originally to be considered a hollow grind. Food release was ok, not anything to rave about. I love using it to make hasselback potatoes & other detailed prep work.

I am a big fan of my AS stainless clad. The tip is thin; and I mean very thin. I chipped mine while V cutting some snapper filets. Not the knifes fault; I have better suited knives for that task, and was being lazy. But know, it is a special grind, and brilliant to use for the right task, but is rather fragile compared to even most old school lasers.

I bought a cheapass white2 kurouchi santoku from MTC as my sharpening tester. it is absurdly good. I don’t like his dammy as well-too much friction in the cut.
I agree about the damascus. I sanded mine with 800 grit. Lost a bit of the deep black etch, but far less sticking. But also, the spine is super thin, and the overall blade is super light. Much different feeling from his other variants.

Pile on with Yoshimi kato knives being super thin behind the edge. The guy makes good knives. I hear the Masakage koishis are extreme. I bought several cheapass MTC Kintaro 210 (w2) for gifts and love them. Going to see one of them that I haven’t seen in a year tonight.

Do it. Pull that trigger.

(If you want to talk about a Kotetsu 240, PM me)

Love my Y Kato AS petty and wouldn’t hesitate to own one of his gyutos - assuming you like and want a laser. My petty is my go-to knife for cutting flank steak and chicken breast for stir fry, just glides through ridiculously smoothly.

Back