Kippington 250mm Laser Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kippington

A small green parrot
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
This knife is all about, "Thick where you hold it, thin where it cuts". The grind is similar to the "comfort laser" I made a few months back - it's as thin behind the edge as I can make it while keeping the spine thick (which you don't generally see in a laser).
  • 255 mm edge length
  • 55 mm heel height
  • 52100 high carbon steel
  • 244 grams
  • 4.5 mm spine thickness into handle
  • Octagonal wa handle, removable beeswax install
  • Black Juma ferrule with brass spacer and pine wood.
  • $460 USD shipped
j7NCmD9.jpg

glNgJ42.jpg

9ZKFYIS.jpg

x6utIwN.jpg

cdG7vjg.jpg

UoV8We7.jpg

Sweet! I already have a similar one and this would have tempted me if I'd seen it before it sold.

I like the little curve in the choil near the heel.

Is it ground like a concave hidden wide bevel? Where the wide bevel gadually gets shorter as you go further into the taper?

Is it differentially hardened (recognising that 52100 is too highly alloyed to show a hardening line)?

Sweet! I already have a similar one and this would have tempted me if I'd seen it before it sold.

I like the little curve in the choil near the heel.

Is it ground like a concave hidden wide bevel? Where the wide bevel gadually gets shorter as you go further into the taper?

Is it differentially hardened (recognising that 52100 is too highly alloyed to show a hardening line)?
Thanks!

The curve in the choil is really important on this one. The knife weighs 244 grams but has a super thin edge, so that edge corner at the choil needed some reinforcement.

No differential hardening on this, although the machi was tempered much higher than the edge. This seems to be the norm among western makers, so its nothing special.

You're correct about the grind at the heel, but it gets messy towards the tip. Hard to explain...

Hey everyone.
This knife is all about, "Thick where you hold it, thin where it cuts". The grind is similar to the "comfort laser" I made a few months back - it's as thin behind the edge as I can make it while keeping the spine thick (which you don't generally see in a laser).
  • 255 mm edge length
  • 55 mm heel height
  • 52100 high carbon steel
  • 244 grams
  • 4.5 mm spine thickness into handle
  • Octagonal wa handle, removable beeswax install
  • Black Juma ferrule with brass spacer and pine wood.
  • $460 USD shipped
j7NCmD9.jpg

glNgJ42.jpg

9ZKFYIS.jpg

x6utIwN.jpg

cdG7vjg.jpg

UoV8We7.jpg
Beautiful gyuto!

Back