• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Traded Kippington Laser 225mm, Shihan 210mm gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know the wailing and nashing of teeth on BST listings is passé these days, but I sure am gonna miss these two. Nevertheless, I know someone else will appreciate these more than I do, and still want to try some new makers. No cash offers, please. Won't be sad if I end up keeping either or both. Feel free to reach out for more pics, measurements, etc.

Kippington 52100 225mm laser TRADED: purchased direct from Jules, specs and better photos here: SOLD - Kippington 225mm Laser Gyuto

I've had this in rotation at home since last summer and have touched this up twice on a 6k stone. The choil shot is not representative of the grind, which is substantially thinner. If you like lasers, this might be the last one you'll ever need, but I prefer Jules' workpony grind. I am only interested in swapping this for a top-notch performer from a hard-to-find maker, ideally a 220-250mm Dalman, Tsourkan WP, or Kamon gyuto (+/- cash to make it fair).

Shihan 52100 210mm: purchased from BST last month from this listing: SOLD - Shihan 210 52100 monosteel KU gyuto . Came to me a bit dull and sharpened once from 2k, used a handful of times but not really what I'm looking for in a 210. This is the 52100 monosteel line but with the really nice burnt ash handle Shihan uses on his clad series. Very robust workhorse and nice geometry, would keep it if it were a 240.

Open to gyutos or cleavers from any interesting Western maker, or on the Japanese side Watoyama, TF Mabs/Denka, Y. Tanaka, Myojin to name a few. Could also package with the Kipp.

PXL_20220219_160623774 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20220219_160635489 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20220219_160731369 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20220219_160811431 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
I would put up an offer on the Kippington IF it was 240mm. GLWT!

Trade values?

I paid $540 for the Kipp and $365 for Shihan and would value them at the same in trade for equally hard to find makers.

Thanks to everyone who's sent trade offers! I'm working through the PMs but may take a while to get back to everyone. Nothing spoken for yet, feel free to send additional options.

Back