Kitayama discussion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys I have some questions. I'm in market for a high grit finishing stone (I have Chosera 800 + 3k) and in between Kitayama 8k and Imanishi 10k. What would your suggestions about them? And I thought Kitayama 8k is splash and go. is It need to be soaked first?
Well, what are you sharpening and what are you looking to accomplish? I go from Naniwa Pro/Chosera/etc. 3000 to an 8000 stone with nothing in between.

Guys I have some questions. I'm in market for a high grit finishing stone (I have Chosera 800 + 3k) and in between Kitayama 8k and Imanishi 10k. What would your suggestions about them? And I thought Kitayama 8k is splash and go. is It need to be soaked first?

You can use the Kitayama S&G, but as seen in this tread, most users prefer to soak it for a short while, ~5 min imo.

If I am taking a knife through a progression of stones, I would put the Kitayama in the water when starting on the stone before, to prepare it for use when done on the previous one.

Haven't tried the Imanishi, can't help you choose between the two.

Last edited:
Well, what are you sharpening and what are you looking to accomplish? I go from Naniwa Pro/Chosera/etc. 3000 to an 8000 stone with nothing in between.

Mostly Masamoto KS and Kramer Carbon. And I'm gonna order a TF Denka soon. I mostly cut veggies (tomatoes, onions, celery stalks, idaho potatoes etc. not sweet potatoes or cabbage) and really enjoy cutting a tomato like a butter. I was thinking 3k + strop is enough but after reading these threads I want to give it a shot.

You can use the Kitayama S&G, but as seen in this tread, most users prefer to soak it for a short while, ~5 min imo.

If I am takin a knife through a progression of stones, I would put the Kitayama in the water when starting on the stone before, to prepare it for use when done on the previous one.

Haven't tried the Imanishi, can't help you choose between the two.

Thank you!

Mostly Masamoto KS and Kramer Carbon. And I'm gonna order a TF Denka soon. I mostly cut veggies (tomatoes, onions, celery stalks, idaho potatoes etc. not sweet potatoes or cabbage) and really enjoy cutting a tomato like a butter. I was thinking 3k + strop is enough but after reading these threads I want to give it a shot.
3k is enough.

Even stropping is guilding the lilly unless you are an experienced sharpener.

Unless you want to shave with your gyuto.

Remember that you can ruin an edge more easily on a fine stone because you will need more strokes to remove the same amount of metal, so any inconsistencies in your sharpening technique will be significantly amplified. Common result is a rounded edge.

Remember that you can ruin an edge more easily on a fine stone because you will need more strokes to remove the same amount of metal, so any inconsistencies in your sharpening technique will be significantly amplified. Common result is a rounded edge.
I didn’t know I needed to hear this. Kudos to you.

Latest posts

Back