Kitchen Christening Feast

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by bprescot, Nov 29, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Nov 29, 2018 #1

bprescot

bprescot

bprescot

Founding Member

In two months (my contractor says 5 weeks, so I'm rounding up to two months), our Kitchen/upstairs remodel should be complete. And while I've been able to do more with just a multi-pot and a grill than I would have thought, I'm looking forward to once again having an oven and multiple burners.

But what to cook for that first big meal once it's all ready? I mean, your first meal in a new kitchen can't be reheating chef boyardee! That's just ASKING for years of Bad Kitchen Juju.

Was thinking a nice Cassoulet? Or gussy it up some with a meat pie or pate en croute?

If you had to pick an inaugural meal for a new kitchen to set the place up right for a lifetime of good cooking mojo, what would you choose?

Even more important, which knives get used?!?! Talk about stressful decisions.

2. Nov 29, 2018 #2
    I'm partial to naked twister on the new floor - with lots of olive oil:cool::cool::cool:

Xenif and parbaked like this.
  3. Nov 29, 2018 #3

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

Damn. Tough question! I’d probably roast a chicken. It would be tough for me splatter a new stove top.

4. Nov 29, 2018 #4

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member

If I remember correctly, I cooked a couple steaks. Gave them a really good sear in cast iron to get them started.

which got the smoke detector started.

which started all of the other smoke detectors in the house thanks to the new 'wired together' system we had to install throughout the house in order to get the construction permit.

and which made me realize the big and powerful vent hood I had sprung for was getting compromised due to the discharge duct configuration, even though the outlet through the exterior wall was only 2 feet away.

Moral of the story? Not sure there is one. Just cook something you want to eat, and don't get derailed by any speedbumps that appear.

5. Nov 29, 2018 #5

bprescot

bprescot

bprescot

Founding Member

Ouch. Yeah, you can have the biggest baddest blower in the world, but if it's not ducted properly, it won't mean a damn thing.