Kitchen Knife Glossary redux

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

DavidPF

Likes Boring Knives
Reaction score
Maybe this:

Recurve - any area in which all or part of the edge or spine of a knife is on the inside of a curve.

Last edited:

ian

Refined, yet toothy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recurve (n): another curve. Like, there was a curve, but this is totally like another curve. It’s like the one curve wasn’t enough, and then there was this curve on top of it that was totally badass, and like the first curve was like “woah dude, stop cramping my style” but the second curve was all like “read my curves, straightedge!”.

DavidPF

Likes Boring Knives
Reaction score
The reason I posted anything on this thread is that this latest definition (sometimes word for word) has in fact been assumed to be the correct one by certain illustrious members of KKF. :)

DavidPF

Likes Boring Knives
Reaction score
Sun: A traditional Japanese unit of measure, equal to 3.03 milimeters or 1.19 inches
Proposed change:

Sun: A traditional Japanese unit of measure, equal to 30.3 millimetres (1.19 inches or one tenth of a foot), often a unit for knife lengths

ian

Refined, yet toothy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proposed change:

Sun: A traditional Japanese unit of measure, equal to 30.3 millimetres (1.19 inches or one tenth of a foot), often a unit for knife lengths
Good catch. I would change it, but I can’t edit the posts anymore. @Angie?

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the Japanese word that describes the asymmetric convex grind?
It starts with an H I think?

ian

Refined, yet toothy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the Japanese word that describes the asymmetric convex grind?
It starts with an H I think?
You thinking of hamaguri or "clam shell"? Does that have anything to do with asymmetry? I thought it just meant a convex grind on a wide bevel, whether single or double bevel, asymmetric or symmetric.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is what I’m thinking of!

I must’ve heard it used to describe asymmetrical grind and then associated it with that.

so does this choil constitute a Hamaguri Grind?
62EE6FE0-2DB8-46BA-8423-761F243C7003.jpeg

ian

Refined, yet toothy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused what's happening there. Is that a reflection at the bottom, or? It's definitely convex on the left side in the pic.

I've only heard people use hamaguri to refer to the kind of sharpening of a wide bevel or single bevel knife that results in a subtle convexity on the bevel. If you have a knife that has an entirely convex blade face, I'm not sure if people call it a hamaguri grind. At least, people around here don't seem to. They just say it's convex.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused what's happening there. Is that a reflection at the bottom, or? It's definitely convex on the left side in the pic.

I've only heard people use hamaguri to refer to the kind of sharpening of a wide bevel or single bevel knife that results in a subtle convexity on the bevel. If you have a knife that has an entirely convex blade face, I'm not sure if people call it a hamaguri grind. At least, people around here don't seem to. They just say it's convex.
Lol so the answer is No.

Delat

Reaction score
I’ve been searching for definitions of hamono and no hamono, could I request those be added? @ian

ian

Refined, yet toothy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been searching for definitions of hamono and no hamono, could I request those be added? @ian
Hamono essentially means “sharp cutting tool” or something iirc, although it’s used in the same way “knives/blades” is used in

Dalman Knives
Vachon Knives
Kippington Blades

etc… so that effectively it designates a knife shop. I think “no” is just a preposition. Google translate just lists it as “of”, but I don’t know any Japanese, so I’m just guessing.

“Dalman of the Knife”?

Idk.

I can’t edit the original posts anymore (@Angie?) but probably someone who knows Japanese should write this entry.