Kitchen Scores- Post your new gear here

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by Jim, Apr 6, 2011.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Jan 14, 2019 #631

DamageInc

DamageInc

DamageInc

Idiot

Nice. Scanpan products are typically very well built.

2. Jan 15, 2019 #632

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

This is my 10th or 11th Staub (can’t recall… would have to check)… sometime I’ll get a family photo

Staub 15”x10” matte black enamel cast iron roasting pan… there was a promo recently and they were pretty much giving these away. I did a small turkey to try it out
    IMG_5297.jpg

3. Jan 15, 2019 #633

hrc63

hrc63

hrc63

I like it...

4. Jan 15, 2019 #634

esoo

esoo

esoo

How have they lasted for you? I bought one of their black enamel frypans, washed it once with a non scratch sponge, and it was rusted the next day. It was immediately returned to them and they took it back as defective, but all the others I've seen in stores since seem to have a very thin coat of enamel compared to a Le Creuset.

5. Jan 15, 2019 #635

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

Are these good carbon pans? I just bought a 12" cast iron but it's heavy AF. These seem like the best of both worlds, just don't know which brand to buy. TIA!

minibatataman likes this.
  6. Jan 15, 2019 #636

Xenif

Xenif

Xenif

They are awesome, although I'm not sure you will see too much weight savings vs cast iron. The heat management is a bit easier vs cast iron. I find them easier to season too.
    After this one I bought the smaller 18cm and now I'm considering the more.

ashy2classy likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2019 #637

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

Thanks! I just ordered the 32cm model to give it a try.

8. Jan 15, 2019 #638

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

DeBuyer are good. Way better ergonomics vs cast iron...

PROTIP get the 26cm
    not the 24 or huge sizes

edit: oops! too late

9. Jan 15, 2019 #639

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

Thanks! I can cancel, I think. You don't like the larger sizes?

EDIT: I cancelled. Where do you recommend buying them? Seems like MeatProcessingProducts.com has the best price in the US.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  10. Jan 15, 2019 #640

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

Ironically I was contemplating buying one just today.. they're pretty good priced. I only found the 28cm one but still good sized.

11. Jan 16, 2019 #641

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Matfer bougreat make a nice steel pan for a good price. They don't look quite as nice as the deBuyers but give up nothing in performance. Handle is welded on instead of riveted which I like for cleaning. The handle is angled a bit lower which I also like. Cooking surface is dead flat unlike my deBuyers that are doamed a bit.

ashy2classy likes this.
  12. Jan 16, 2019 #642

parbaked

parbaked

parbaked

13. Jan 16, 2019 #643

esoo

esoo

esoo

I
    I've had two Matfour carbon pans warp slightly on me. Probably not a problem for some, but on an ceramic top they don't sit flat. Both had never been used above medium heat.

14. Jan 16, 2019 #644

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

Ryndunk

For 2 years I have had 20ish matfers in rotation at the restaurant used for everything from high temp searing steaks and fish to omelets. None are warped.

15. Jan 16, 2019 #645

AT5760

AT5760

AT5760

I have a small Lodge and a larger Paderno. The Paderno is a 12in, and it gets more use than any other pan in my kitchen. Stays seasoned, sears well, and easy cleanup. It was pretty cheap if I remember correctly (bought it 7/8 years ago). I’m not easy on it. High temps, stove to oven, occasionally doesn't get cleaned immediately.

16. Jan 16, 2019 #646

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

Jon-cal

I have the 14” debuyer. I love it, but it is big. If I didn’t already have a bunch of smaller pans I probably would’ve got a smaller one. I got mine from amazon. The price seems to fluctuate a lot there though

ashy2classy likes this.
  17. Jan 16, 2019 #647

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Supporting Member

What’s the advantage of carbon steel for pans vs stainless?

18. Jan 16, 2019 #648

deskjockey

deskjockey

deskjockey

I love my DeBuyer Mineral pans. Crepe pans and "Country" pans are favorites. The French skillets are nice too.

Matfer and the thinner DeBuyer steel pans are a steal. Yes you can warp them on really powerful high heat but, they cook nice, are easy to clean, and best of all light (and cheap).

While I love cast iron too, it is heavier and harder to handle when fully loaded. If you have arthritis or strength issue, lighter thinner 'iron' is the way to go IMHO.

The DeBuyer Mineral crepe pan makes a mean steak in the oven too. Mmmmm ...

19. Jan 16, 2019 #649

Ruso

Ruso

Ruso

I find mineral B series on a heavy side (large skillet). I much prefer Force Blue series for that size.
    However, for the gas stove I would pick Mineral B as it’s thicker (3mm vs 2mm)

20. Jan 16, 2019 #650

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Mucho Bocho

Supporting Member

I've got myself a lot of Debuyer, maybe 10 pans including crepe, country, roasting... To be honest, I'm tired of the upkeep. I usually use them on the outside kitchen, and when I'm done cooking I just leave them to cool and clean the next day. They end up rusting, the handles end up peeling and their ugly as sin in general. They still cook awesome so I continue to use them. For a little more loot, consider these Spring USA Blackline SwissSteel line:

http://springusa.com/products/professional-cookware/blackline

They have the same qualities as Carbon pans, heat fast, work great at lower heats, lighter than cast iron but the Blackline is impervious to acidic foods (deglaze better), hold heat like cast iron and never ever warm even under max induction/gas heating. They're lighter than cast iron on par maybe a little heavier than carbon steel. The lip on them is a little higher, but not as high as sautés pans and the handles blow away Debuyer.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with these Blackline pans and skip the MineralB/Carbone pans altogether. The only drawback is they don't have that many sizes, but what they do have is simply pissa.

21. Jan 16, 2019 #651

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

ashy2classy

RE: carbon pans - thanks for everyone's input! Sorry to clutter up the thread if it's kinda off-topic!

22. Jan 23, 2019 #652

podzap

podzap

podzap

Those are an every-household item in the nordic countries, where 99% of people use those to secure a salted salmon filet while cutting off thin slices. But yeah, I also use mine for poking sausage before twisting into links.

23. Jan 24, 2019 #653

gotmail1414

gotmail1414

gotmail1414

What had your been using for roasting before this Staub? So which will you prefer going forward?

24. Jan 26, 2019 #654

mhpr262

mhpr262

mhpr262

carbon steel and to an even higher degree cast iron have much higher infrared emissivity than stainless steel, that is they put out much more infrared radiation when hot. That's why they are great for everything you want nicely browned, with a beautiful crust, like steaks, fried potatoes, cornbread, pancakes, hashbrowns etc ...

ACHiPo likes this.
  25. Jan 26, 2019 #655
  26. Jan 26, 2019 #656

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

ACHiPo

Supporting Member

Thanks. That makes sense. One of the advantages of cast iron is the thermal mass, something that would not seem to be the case with the carbon steel. As I use sous vide more, I find that I need to up my searing skills, so may give one a shot.

Do you season the outside to prevent rust or just not worry about it?

27. Jan 26, 2019 #657

HRC_64

HRC_64

HRC_64

In general don't worry about the outside unless you're keeping it in storage with infrequent usages.
    One takes more care on the inside becuase it needs to be foodsafe, and smooth.

The outside you can polymerize instanty over open flame.

The issue with the outside in theory is any seasoning will scratchbecause metal/metal contact on burner grates.
    But just wipe and put (empty) on the burner for a couple minutes, and you're fine...

(Putting a scratched bottom into storage for 6months =rust, of course.)

28. Jan 26, 2019 #658

Lars

Lars

Lars

Founding Member

It has performed well so far. Was a little disapointed with the f+f as a couple of rivets wasnt flush on the inside.
    But for 200 dKr on sale at Kop og Kande it's hard to complain..

Overall it's a nice saucepan.

Lars

29. Jan 26, 2019 #659

doomtop

doomtop

doomtop

I scooped this Le Creuset dutch oven (Size 22) which was a marked down "seconds" that had been further marked down, and then marked down even further due to a missing handle. Picked up a handle for it for 5 bucks and it's good as a brand new one so far as I'm concerned.

[​IMG]

30. Jan 27, 2019 #660

podzap

podzap

podzap

That's nice. I've got one similar to that and it has been in heavy use making chili and onion soup. Nowadays we mostly use it for baking bread.