Kitchen Shears: MAC KS-85 vs Tojiro-Pro FK-843

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podzap

Reaction score
Longing for a new pair of separatable kitchen shears and had my eyes on the MAC KS-85 but it seems that it cannot be had in Europe for less than 100 bucks or so, thus considering the Tojiro-Pro FK-843 as an alternative. The Tojiros can be had from amazon.co.uk for 42 british pounds or so.

Anybody here used both of these before and have opinions?

The only product I can recommend from Cutco are their K77 shears. Separatable and have a no quibble replacement warrantee. I have been using them daily in thousands of autopsies for 15 years. Sent back twice in all that time for free replacements.

OP is in the EU and cutco are USA $90+ import fees and shipping.

Autopsies? Really?
Yup. Really. They are my absolute favorite. Have done about 5000 autopsies with these cutco shears. I can cut an aluminum and a copper penny with them without any loss of cutting tissue.

The tojiro are cast and then the edges are ground. The blades are curved so every time you close them, the torque the pivot. The cutco is mulled and the blades are flat to each other so the pivot doesn’t torque or loosen.

60639DAA-ED49-41B9-8305-D741DEB08BC3.jpeg

Here you can see the separation between the tojiro blades on the left and the complete contact along the blades of the cutco on the right.
578AF116-2BFA-4E07-86DC-5072FBD69B5F.jpeg

I also have the MAC shears and have used them for dozens of autopsies. Like them a lot. Built like the cutcos. Excellent shears. Worth the money. Have a slightly longer neck to each blade so the cut a little easier than the cutcos.

I cannot tell a lie. Those cutco shears are classy. Never used them, but I highly recommended them. [emoji106]

This is my basic autopsy kit. A pair of bonney forceps, a long handle CPM-M4 scalpel, a 14” XHP slicer, and my cutcos. The scalpel is more like a kwaiken and has a 90 mm blade. I made the scalpel and slicer.

F4371417-04E8-4616-AA8B-6D4B35DE8FA4.jpeg

Professional or recreational autopsies?

Penman is a professional forensic pathologist iirc.

BTW, in case anyone isn't aware, curved shear blades are traditional and intentional. The ideal is that you'll always have good right contact exactly at the point of cutting.

Longing for a new pair of separatable kitchen shears and had my eyes on the MAC KS-85 but it seems that it cannot be had in Europe for less than 100 bucks or so, thus considering the Tojiro-Pro FK-843 as an alternative. The Tojiros can be had from amazon.co.uk for 42 british pounds or so.

I have the Tojiro for years, not a fan, find the handles to be uncomfortable. I have been looking at the Mac shears for a good while, will pick up a pair soon.

BTW, in case anyone isn't aware, curved shear blades are traditional and intentional. The ideal is that you'll always have good right contact exactly at the point of cutting.

Yes. You remember correctly. :D

Couldn't really give a rat's ass - it doesn't relate to the question I raised when I started this thread. Thread hijacking is juvenile behavior.

I have the Tojiro for years, not a fan, find the handles to be uncomfortable. I have been looking at the Mac shears for a good while, will pick up a pair soon.

Thanks, DitmasPork - I'd also pick up a pair of the Macs if I were able to get them for less than about 125 bucks. I've got money, but that is simply ridiculous IMO.

I love Mac products, but have not used the shears. I have the Tojiros and they just plain work. They've been used and abused by me, my wife, and kids. They'll still spachcock a bird without breaking a sweat. They are easy to clean and have been put into the dishwasher dozens of times with no detectable surface deterioration. Good deal for the money.

I have the Tojiro knockoffs by $$$$mond, and the Mac. The Mac are lightyears better in every single way.

Couldn't really give a rat's ass - it doesn't relate to the question I raised when I started this thread. Thread hijacking is juvenile behavior.

OP you asked for peoples opinions about Tojiro...Stop being a snowflake about it.

Longing for a new pair of separatable kitchen shears ....

....considering the Tojiro-Pro FK-843 as an alternative.

Another user said he's used tojiro and cannot recomment them,
and the only similar thing he COULD recomment was another brand,
which unfortunately you don't have access to.

Seems pretty reasonable in context.
- Several other people have used tojiro not mac and posted answers
- Several other people EU inconvenient retailers like JKI in USA, etc

TLDR Nobody here is recommending Tojiro,
which should be useful information to you,
maybe save you wasting time and money on them.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
Back