Kiyoshi Kato 240 Standard Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received the knife today. Super excited to try it out. It looks like a knife that's been passed around and the edge looks like its getting a bit thick.

Pics of the current state. I'm not sure how many people are left but if OP wants I can take it over to Bernal for some TLC or to a Bay Area member with the skills. Otherwise I'll use and pass along to next person.

I'll get a quick review up in a few days once I get some time with it.View attachment 90857View attachment 90858
Someone really messed this knife up. The finish was done by rough sandpaper and that bevel looks like heavy overgrind. No wonder the knife doesn't perform anymore. If you don't know how to touch up a knife why learn how to sharpen on a Kato passaround? This is hard to watch.
Is it still the same knife or someone switched it ? I would check the kanji marks well

Someone really messed this knife up. The finish was done by rough sandpaper and that bevel looks like heavy overgrind. No wonder the knife doesn't perform anymore. If you don't know how to touch up a knife why learn how to sharpen on a Kato passaround? This is hard to watch.
Is it still the same knife or someone switched it ? I would check the kanji marks well
2 hairline sized cracks that are on the spine close to the handle will indicate whether it’s the passaround knife or not.

Hate to admit, I didn't even get to use it. Lots going on, then I just wanted to keep it moving. I actually didn't even open the package from @captaincaed

Definitely looks jacked up, but I can't take any credit for that

Seriously.

If you don't know how to refinish a knife you shouldn't touch it. If I were generous enough to host a passaround (especially for a rare knife), I'd be feeling a little sore that someone just decided to take rough sandpaper to it...

What a bummer

I'm going to assume someone let it rust to hell, and tried to clean it up. If it was you, please just contact tgfencer, common courtesy. Its not very hard to narrow down where it potentially happened. Not the end of the world for any party, just sucks that people aren't adults about it.

2020-07-06 15.46.30.jpg
2020-07-06 15.46.25.jpg

Sorry haven't been around for a couple of days.
Pictures of the knife day I received it

I may be the offender here on the finish. The knife arrived to me with surface rust forming. I asked the tgfencer if he wanted me to clean it up with flitz or bkf to get rid of it he said it was fine. I didn't think I was that aggressive on the blade but that is definitely went spine to blade when rubbing it down.
I sprayed it with Camelia oil before shipping it off to the next person but it looks like that rust is still forming in the same spots.
I will graciously accept any cost that is required to refinish the blade now or after the pass around.
My apologies everyone.
Especially tgfencer

I apologize if I contributed to the rust by not opening and inspecting it while it was in my possession. Would have hoped it was clean, dry and oiled for safe travels before it was sent to me. It just sat on my dining table before getting relabeled and essentially forwarded.

View attachment 90939View attachment 90941
Sorry haven't been around for a couple of days.
Pictures of the knife day I received it

I may be the offender here on the finish. The knife arrived to me with surface rust forming. I asked the tgfencer if he wanted me to clean it up with flitz or bkf to get rid of it he said it was fine. I didn't think I was that aggressive on the blade but that is definitely went spine to blade when rubbing it down.
I sprayed it with Camelia oil before shipping it off to the next person but it looks like that rust is still forming in the same spots.
I will graciously accept any cost that is required to refinish the blade now or after the pass around.
My apologies everyone.
Especially tgfencer
Appears these pics were taken 7/6 when you got the knife. Who shipped to KCMande? Looks like it was put away wet. Experience like this would stop me from organizing a Passaround. I would say no one is going to get a good impression of this Kato until its properly refinished, especially along the edge and blade road. They will just experience a wedge monster.

Last edited:
Your photos threw my timeline off a bit, as I didn't look who was posting, but I shipped most recently to TSF415, who just got it over the weekend, in scratched-up condition which sparked this whole discussion.

flitz or bkf isn’t responsible for the knives current condition though. Some crazy coarse abrasive is.

What do you use to apply Flitz tho? I usually use 120 grit sandpaper.

———

Also, sorry guys. I haven’t been wanting to admit it, but I probably was the one that ruined the Kato. I know I’m not technically “part of the passaround”, but I had this dream the other night where I took all the sandpaper and steel wool in my house, put it in the bathtub, and took a bath with it and a Kato standard. I think my dream may have caused this. Sorry again, I’m happy to pay for it to be refinished. 🙁

What do you use to apply Flitz tho? I usually use 120 grit sandpaper.

———

Also, sorry guys. I haven’t been wanting to admit it, but I probably was the one that ruined the Kato. I know I’m not technically “part of the passaround”, but I had this dream the other night where I took all the sandpaper and steel wool in my house, put it in the bathtub, and took a bath with it and a Kato standard. I think my dream may have caused this. Sorry again, I’m happy to pay for it to be refinished. 🙁
So you forgot to wipe and dry it in the end.

I’m not worried about trying to find someone to blame. I’m not angry about this, these kind of things happen on passarounds. I’m not sure a witch hunt is necessary or even productive. I’d hope for the future that folks would feel that it was ok to admit they made a mistake or let something rust during any PA because then quick steps can be taken to fix the problem correctly without causing further issues.

As of now, I’m checking out a few options to get the Kato back to fighting form. It might mean a small delay for the last 5 folks but it seems a necessary step.

@KCMande No blame on you, my friend. BKF and Flitz did not cause this and surface rust isn't unusual on Katos when they don't have proper patinas. Jumping households and trips in the mail certainly don't help either.

Last edited:
Just wipe down fully reactive knives with mineral oil, camellia oil, etc before shipping out. I've received plenty of rusted knives over the years cause people think its dry when they send it out

Back