Kiyoshi Kato 240 Standard Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@CiderBear- @labor of love will shoot you a PM when he's ready to ship and ask for an address. You can use whichever is most convenient for you and where you think delivery would go the smoothest.

Then after a week of use, you just reach out to the next person in line for their shipping address. Simple and easy.

Is it my turn already? I haven't been paying attention, but nice!

@tgfencer how does this work? I'm currently living in temporary housing in Northern Virginia with my fiancé about 10 minutes away from my apartment in DC - should I give you the new address?
Kato carrots video should be fun 😝

Last edited:
Both models have gotten lighter in general. I have tried a few, and while there's always been variance, the average seems to have dropped weight significantly in the last two years or so.
Both the STD and WH have changed weight, profile and grind over the years, plus the steel has changed too (not confirmed on the WH but likely). I prefer the more dramatic and progressive DT of the older style Kato's with their thinner tip grind. The Ku seems to be more consistent over the years although there are fewer examples so less reference points. The current JNS 210WH Ku at just over 200g and 217 edge length and low tip is just about perfect for me, although if I was to nit pick I'd prefer an even thinner tip.

Both the STD and WH have changed weight, profile and grind over the years, plus the steel has changed too (not confirmed on the WH but likely). I prefer the more dramatic and progressive DT of the older style Kato's with their thinner tip grind. The Ku seems to be more consistent over the years although there are fewer examples so less reference points. The current JNS 210WH Ku at just over 200g and 217 edge length and low tip is just about perfect for me, although if I was to nit pick I'd prefer an even thinner tip.
My older KU was also significantly thicker than the one I got about two years ago, and I have compared notes with some friends and those have also been thinner. Big change in the STD KU profile at least too with my older one having a lower tip and the curve going all the way but very very gentle. My older 240 KU std is 233mm long heel to tip and 255g (with a ho wood handle)

Sounds like maybe somebody needs to do a spreadsheet or pivot table or something...
I’d be keen to know what Kato-San would think of all this!

It would be an awesome conversation, to know how he would respond to thoughts about the evolution in shape/taper/weight/etc over the years, would fascinate me to no end. A common presumption is that craftsmen’s skills gain traction through the years.

I’d be keen to know what Kato-San would think of all this!

It would be an awesome conversation, to know how he would respond to thoughts about the evolution in shape/taper/weight/etc over the years, would fascinate me to no end. A common presumption is that craftsmen’s skills gain traction through the years.
Yes, that would be a fascinating conversation to have with KK, especially at this stage in his life/career. I wonder how he feels about this being the end of the Kato knife/swordmaking lineage, at least direct. I believe an uncle was also a bladesmith.

In a fashion like that of Prometheus, Mazaki will carry the torch.
Mazaki will try to leach on to the Kato prestige. But just because they crossed hammers for publicity sake, that doesn't make him his apprentice. An apprentice in Japan is someone that lives and breaths together with the master for 20 years or more and helps in every aspect of the trade. They start making their own work after they have earned their place. Mazaki is more sanjo style then kato style and you can see that in the way the blade road runs with wide bevel towards the tip ( since it's easier to grind on sand belt than thin it from the hammer). I know most knife dealers want to promote mazaki as the continuity of Kato but he doesn't have the same motivation to be the best. Kato was raised in a familly of sword makers and was apprentice for both his father and grandfather and the weight of his familly honnor and reputation made him strive to keep that familly good name. I may be wrong but mazaki seems to be going for the money instead.

Last edited:
Mazaki will try to leach on to the Kato prestige. But just because they crossed hammers for publicity sake, that doesn't make him his apprentice. An apprentice in Japan is someone that lives and breaths together with the master for 20 years or more and helps in every aspect of the trade. They start making their own work after they have earned their place. Mazaki is more sanjo style then kato style and you can see that in the way the blade road runs with wide bevel towards the tip ( since it's easier to grind on sand belt than thin it from the hammer). I know most knife dealers want to promote mazaki as the continuity of Kato but he doesn't have the same motivation to be the best. Kato was rased in a familly of sword makers and was apprentice for both his father and grandfather and the weight of his familly honnor and reputation made him strive to keep that familly good name. I may be wrong but mazaki seems to be going for the money instead.
:confused:

I only had two Mazaki & one Kato, from those three, there’s quite a bit of resemblance on measurements. The Mazakis were more beefy WH than the Kato WH, but the Kato grind we’re completely missing. Seems like he only copied the shell bit not the the soul.

Another funny thing was, my Kato 210 WH weighted only 180g, More of a middle weight than WH, my Toyama iron-clad 210, comes in at 185g. The Kato WH did perform very very well thou., right up there with my Toyama which is really hard to beat.

Can somebody teach me about Kato? In addition to Kiyoshi Kato, there are several, if not many, knife makers with the Kato name. I picked up an AS 210mm gyuto from Carbon Knife (that I really enjoy) made by Yoshimi Kato, who is listed as the son of Hiroshi Kato. I thought there were more examples, but some of those may be misspellings. Any Kato followers willing to set this straight?

Can somebody teach me about Kato? In addition to Kiyoshi Kato, there are several, if not many, knife makers with the Kato name. I picked up an AS 210mm gyuto from Carbon Knife (that I really enjoy) made by Yoshimi Kato, who is listed as the son of Hiroshi Kato. I thought there were more examples, but some of those may be misspellings. Any Kato followers willing to set this straight?
Yoshimi and Hiroshi are different Katos. The Katos we are talking about here is Kiyoshi Kato and his father Shinpei. Don't know of any other knifemaking Katos around.

Well I bought a used workhorse yesterday, then today I actually won the jns sweepstakes. Funny timing. Btw workhorse retails for $1060 now. Maybe that’s why it fell into my lap. Perhaps people are less trigger happy at that price?
Hoarder

This has been a great read so far. I think the last couple times I saw any kato come up on JNS I was very hesitant. Even the most recent 240. I really had to tell myself to just put the phone down and walk away haha. Times are just too uncertain right now. Especially for the culinary industry. I had a ton of side jobs cut from me and our kitchen has been shut down for almost 2 months now. Even though i’m not in a position to drop 1k on a kato it’s still awesome hearing the most recent feedback!

Back