Kiyoshi Kato 240 Standard Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strangely the cracks don't show in the initial photos with the spine the Op posted. Cracks that large are hard to miss.
To the contrary, the cracks aren’t very big at all. Which is why 10 or so people didn’t even notice them and why they only show up in photos where the camera is several inches from the knife.

Cutting playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_heBR-9AJ-Epxxv86DcMRnEgrqtFSUHW
I figure this won't interest most of the older guard, but may interest newer folks who haven't tried a Kato yet (this was my first time). Lots of foods to compare.

For comparison:
Murata santoku as a basic J-knife comparison - thinner behind the edge with harder shoulders mid-blade
Rader gyuto for a midweight full convex comparison
Yoshikane for a super thin comparison with a high polish
Fujiwara for a high-performance comparison
Hunter Valley Blades by Mert Tansu for a workhorse comparison with a different grind style (very thin behind the edge, subtle convex, shoulder very high up the blade (sorry I forgot this one until the apple videos)

I gave it an OK edge. My goal was to minimize steel removed but get in in shape to compare.

The knife is off to @ryanjams insured with an edge, cleaned with Flitz.

Also, I looked hard for those cracks...I think y'all are overthinking that ****.

Last edited:
From the pic it looked similar to the one on my Mazaki which James from KNS said was a de-lamination line. It also looks similar to the Carter that just sold on bst which was originally discounted for having a delam.

Cool set of videos @captaincaed but you scared me when you went to core the apple.

From the pic it looked similar to the one on my Mazaki which James from KNS said was a de-lamination line. It also looks similar to the Carter that just sold on bst which was originally discounted for having a delam.

Cool set of videos @captaincaed but you scared me when you went to core the apple.
It's funny I feel totally confident doing that, and have done it for years. But my balls sucked back up into me when I watched myself editing these videos. I've never cut myself, but I guess there's always a first time for everything.

Knife is safely in my possession. I’ve been using a Ginga 210 almost exclusively since I’ve just been home cooking since March, should be quite a contrast. I’ll probably prep a bolognese this weekend then keep it moving.

Wait, Mazaki makes Damascus? Why didn’t someone mention this?

They look great too
UA8CFGe.mp4

ElzX1TI.jpg

Received the knife today. Super excited to try it out. It looks like a knife that's been passed around and the edge looks like its getting a bit thick.

Pics of the current state. I'm not sure how many people are left but if OP wants I can take it over to Bernal for some TLC or to a Bay Area member with the skills. Otherwise I'll use and pass along to next person.

I'll get a quick review up in a few days once I get some time with it.
422D0518-B552-4D2D-B74A-ED8604C1BC78.jpg
AE6FFFD0-3B3F-4D8D-A7D4-E226993BCEC1.jpg

Received the knife today. Super excited to try it out. It looks like a knife that's been passed around and the edge looks like its getting a bit thick.

Pics of the current state. I'm not sure how many people are left but if OP wants I can take it over to Bernal for some TLC or to a Bay Area member with the skills. Otherwise I'll use and pass along to next person.

I'll get a quick review up in a few days once I get some time with it.View attachment 90857View attachment 90858
it look like a 5th grader refinished it

On first sight I thought I clicked on the wrong thread.

What's up with the scratch pattern? Is it the lighting? Looks more pronounced now.
Yeah, that looks odd, doesn't seem right. It also, not sure if it's the lighting, seems to change at the neck area to looking more like your pic.

Somebody used one of these on it. Looking ruff
61cWeBt0KHL-1._AC_SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
Okay-this prankster was good, but I can do better. Next pass around I participate in I think I’ll regrind reprofile and rehandle the knife before I ship it. The gauntlet has been thrown down, challenge accepted.

Okay-this prankster was good, but I can do better. Next pass around I participate in I think I’ll regrind reprofile and rehandle the knife before I ship it. The gauntlet has been thrown down, challenge accepted.
Fingers crossed next one is a Nakiri. Right @ma_sha1 ?

I'll get a quick review up in a few days once I get some time with it.View attachment 90857View attachment 90858

Yikes, unless the lighting is super deceptive that is not a normal Kato finish. The patina and oxidation visible beneath the scratch pattern makes me think that maybe it got some surface rust or something that someone tried to get rid of. At any rate, things could be worse. There's 5 folks left, so I'd like to get it fixed up a bit. Shooting you a PM @TSF415.

Back