Kiyoshi Kato 240 Standard Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap hadn’t been on here in a bit and just saw this, sure looks like a green scrubbie or something, definitely didn’t look like that when I had it! it must have rusted-rusted for someone, it got some patina with me but came right off with simichrome. That’s sucky especially since almost anything that happens to a knife is fixable

Heelllooo....is anybody out there......?
5D66FEE1-B095-4159-93A7-4454E1C51318.gif

Would be a nice component of passarounds to have received and shipped photos as part of the process... my 2 cents

Just a quick update. I wanted to let everyone know that there is going to be another delay. The current member with the knife has experienced some sudden, urgent medical problems within his family that have called him away from home. I ask everyone to be patient and considerate. Hopefully all goes well for him.

To the handful of participants left who have been patiently waiting for their turn, thanks for being understanding. Once things get moving again, I hope everyone will get their chance soon enough.

Hey everyone! Sorry I was MIA when my turn came up - it was months ago at this point. Life just got a bit crazy with covid, 2 young kids, work, etc. Honestly I forgot I was even in this! Just reading through the thread and it looks like the Kato has been on quite the journey.

The knife has now moved on to @slickmamba and hopefullly we should get to the last few folks on the passaround here in the next month or so.

Again, thanks for the patience everyone has shown. I personally appreciate that we can all show such understanding for a fellow forumite who’s been through a tough time. Cheers everyone.

Just curious about did anyone ever enquire about the spine cracks?

I think it is a de-lamination line.......Not because I actually know what I'm talking about but because...... I have something similar on one of my knives I bought from KNS and James told me its not a crack but a delam and not to worry, and also because someone had something similar on their knife from Carter Cutlery and it was sold as a 2nd and called a delam.

looking good again.

out of curiosity for those who this passaround has been their first exposure, did you buy a Kato after? or if the cost is prohibitive, if you had 1000 to spend on a knife would you buy a Kato instead of something(s) else?

It was my first Kato experience and I’m going to consider picking one up. Just got a Dalman, next is a Yoshi SLD or a Denka, then maybe a Kato. As an aside I actually got all the knives this year that I put on my wish list in January! Probably the one thing that went as planned in 2020. Except one custom but the order is in and it’s pending.

The tiny cracks are perpendicular to the spine the darker line that is parallel is just a reflection. I don’t think these are a problem at all. I wasn’t trying to imply that.

PXL_20201211_071949287.jpg
PXL_20201211_071845691.jpg

First time, turned me off entirely. I think I generally prefer thinner knives

looking good again.

out of curiosity for those who this passaround has been their first exposure, did you buy a Kato after? or if the cost is prohibitive, if you had 1000 to spend on a knife would you buy a Kato instead of something(s) else?

Back