KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME: Grabs a really nice, quality kitchen towel out of the stack. It was under other towels but I didn't recognize it and it looked nice. Come back to the counter wiping my hands and start putting it on the stove handle.

HER: What are you doing with that towel?

ME: Huh?

HER: That's a Christmas towel.

ME: What?!

HER: Look at it. See the embroidered snowman and the "Season's Greetings"?

ME: Unfold it all the way. Shrug. But it's a nice towel.

HER: It's a Christmas towel.

ME: ...

HER: ...

ME: ...

HER: ...

ME: Put it back and get another towel. Holiday themed towels are stupid!

HER: Goes in the other room.

USPS is so weird. Two knives put on my porch, Monday morning. One to CA, the other to MS. I’m in southcentral PA.

The Cali knife got there Wednesday. Suuuuuuper fast. The Mississippi knife is out for delivery today. So weird.

So this just happened...

Co-worker, a multi-decade, high-precision machinist comes to my office door with a mundane question. He notices my Maumasi Fine Arts Artisans of Steel calendar hanging on my wall.

https://maumasifirearts.com/collections/calendar/products/artisans-of-steel-jan-dec-2023-calendar
As you can see in that link, March is a Don Ngyuen that's probably like ~$4k or so. He gets up close to the picture as if studying it and I'm curious what he's going to say. I wasn't really hopeful but really did want him to just comment on the steel pattern or work or something.

But no...

He turns back to me and says, "For Christmas my mom got me one of those - insert my dramatic pause here - Huusk knives."

😞

"They take a little getting used to but they're really nice."

He's a nice guy so I was polite and just said something about being glad he liked it.

But he had more in store for me.

"Yeah, for my fortieth birthday my brother got me a Caveman Knife. Have you heard of those?"

"No," I replied in a soft tone. I just knew what he was going to say. I just knew it. And...

"It's kinda like a cleaver with a round end on it. Really cool! They were having a blow out sale so he got six knives for the price of three and gave me two of them!"

My manners had grown shaky but I again was polite.

But he had one more blow.

"Yeah, I like knives. I'm really into them. I have a bunch."

😭

I just changed the subject and booked an afternoon appointment with my therapist, Keith Stone.

;)

Tell her hi from me from Austria!

DF0AFA04-AB18-47EF-B1C2-94FC150B2E25.jpeg

Is Blue #1 that much harder to work than White #2?

White #2 210 - $451CAD
Blue #1 210 - $791CAD

Or am I just looking at blades stocked before and after price increases?
I think I read that blue steel is significantly more expensive than white as a raw material, besides being more difficult to work with.

I think I read that blue steel is significantly more expensive than white as a raw material, besides being more difficult to work with.

Both of these knives are simple kiritsuke gyutos.

For comparison my 240 Blue 1 Damascus gyuto (which I'll admit runs short more like a 225) was $795CAD.

And both of those would be Y. Tanaka forged.

Both of these knives are simple kiritsuke gyutos.

For comparison my 240 Blue 1 Damascus gyuto (which I'll admit runs short more like a 225) was $795CAD.

And both of those would be Y. Tanaka forged.
There's got to be something too it. If you look at the various iterations of Takada Suibokus:

Comparing 240 gyutos:
Blue 1 $610 (CKC) $680 (MTC)
Blue 2 $475 (Strata)
Ginsan $520 (CKC)
White #1 $470 (Strata0
White 2 (HH version) $275 (Strata)

The difference in forging difficulty between W#2 and B#1, in practice, should be very minimal. Nothing which I would consider warranting a price difference for finished knives exceeding that of the two materials. Hell, I'd bet that the difference in forging between any of the 10xx steels/White steels and plain old 52100 is greater than that of the W vs B steels, as 52100 hot shorts, which is a real bother if you're laminating it.

The makers themselves or more more likely their distributors, are probably responsible for any major differences in price between finished blades in either steel. Idk, (just thinking out loud here) maybe it helps create the impression of higher/broader gradations of quality? If they were all equally priced between B #1&2, and W#1&2 what incentive would there be to select one over the other? It would somewhat limit their product volume too I guess. With 4 different steels you can reasonably warrant having 4 variations of the same knife, you have more products to advertise, and potentially quadruple people's' curiosity, even if the differences in actual performance are minimal, and could mostly be accounted for by variations in hardness. Plus, if you write it into the product description that the more expensive steel is actually harder to use on the maker's side, you kill two birds with one stone -by apparently justifying why the price difference exists, and simultaneously invoking the age old attribution bias that difficult/more expensive to produce are necessarily indicative of higher quality/performance/purchase satisfaction.

Hanky Panky is one my go-to fall drinks, though I like it with Carpano Antica. Mostly I end up just drinking the Fernet straight. I probably go through a couple cases of Fernet a year.

You guys confuse me with this bizarre cocktail talk.

Cocktails contain some mix of a handful of ingredients.

- Whiskey
- Vodka
- Kahlua
- 7-up
- Simple Syrup
- Citrus
- Bitters

I mean you guys know that right? 🤷‍♂️

Back