KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

If it didn't come with one, find a container that is just as wide as the base, but tall for mixing. They're great for single serving smoothies, and fast blending of sauces and dressing.

Oh it has a whole suite of gizmos with it. Additional blades, blender cup, processor cup, whisk, etc.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh it has a whole suite of gizmos with it. Additional blades, blender cup, processor cup, whisk, etc.

I had one like that. Paid a lot for it. The whisk is sorta nice, didn't really use the rest, and when it broke, I made the decision to go for a cheap one and been happy with that choice (mostly).

MSicardCutlery

Full-time Knifemaker
KKF Sponsor
Reaction score

For my birthday, the wife bought me our first immersion blender. She swears I said I wanted one. Funny, I remember her saying she wanted one. Well, it was a nice gesture all the same and I'm sure I'll put it to use.
Caught on to your MO has she;)?

Anyway, the first thing I do is flip the thing over and silently grimace that the blades aren't detachable so sharpening them is next to impossible.

I think there's something wrong with me...

Take a number.... but also.....finger stones😁

Michi

I'm having a status just so I don't have no status
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
4768 Send it back and get a proper bamix? Not having detachable blades is a pain, and really limits functionality too.

We've had the same Braun immersion blender for more than ten years. It's still hanging in there, and I've never felt a need to sharpen the blades.

Reaction score

A month and a half ago, I turned in a vacation request form for October 2, 3 and 4. Company policy is to approve or deny 2 weeks ahead of time.

This past Monday, my boss asks me if I want to have 2 of the days as regular days off, and the 3rd one use vacation time. I said yes.

Come in today, after being off the past 2 days. Schedule says 2 days off.

Talk to my boss. Get crap about:

1. He forgot.
2. He went ahead and scheduled me to train someone on Wednesday.
3. He didn't realize I wanted 3 days.
4. Request form is conveniently missing now.
5. I need to fix his mistake.
6. And the kicker! "What do you want me to do about it?"

Guess it's time to be less picky about where I apply to....

Jovidah

Vocal amateur
Reaction score

We've had the same Braun immersion blender for more than ten years. It's still hanging in there, and I've never felt a need to sharpen the blades.
4782 Come to think of it, I think even when brand new the Bamix blades weren't particularly sharp. I'm not even sure it's a requirement for the blades to be sharp at all; maybe it works more in brute force.

Michi

I'm having a status just so I don't have no status
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
4782 Come to think of it, I think even when brand new the Bamix blades weren't particularly sharp. I'm not even sure it's a requirement for the blades to be sharp at all; maybe it works more in brute force.

Indeed. In German, that type of mill is known as a "Schlagmühle", literally meaning "bashing mill". It doesn't cut stuff, but purees it instead. That also causes lots of cell walls to break, which is the desired outcome for this.

Reaction score

New vitamixes are essentially dull. I feel like I remember seeing a retro advertisement that implied they USED to be sharp, but I may be conjuring that from the ether. But current iterations of both vitamin and blendtecs feature dull blade. I think most would agree they do an excellent job at blending without a sharp edge, so I kind of doubt a sufficiently powerful stick blender would need an edge

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score

A month and a half ago, I turned in a vacation request form for October 2, 3 and 4. Company policy is to approve or deny 2 weeks ahead of time.

This past Monday, my boss asks me if I want to have 2 of the days as regular days off, and the 3rd one use vacation time. I said yes.

Come in today, after being off the past 2 days. Schedule says 2 days off.

Talk to my boss. Get crap about:

1. He forgot.
2. He went ahead and scheduled me to train someone on Wednesday.
3. He didn't realize I wanted 3 days.
4. Request form is conveniently missing now.
5. I need to fix his mistake.
6. And the kicker! "What do you want me to do about it?"

Hope it's already sorted. If not, you should advise boss that scheduling is his problem. If he can't resolve it in your favor it will become an HR problem.

Best.

MarcelNL

professional blame taker
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

The blade they ship is probably engineered to be exactly as sharp, or dull, as what it would be anyway after 5 minutes of blending ice… so users don’t get chips in their teeth.
I have to confess I too wondered about sharpening that product crusher blade (we have a kitchenaid stick) but did not get around to check if/how the blade comes out.

I did succesfully sharpen the benriner mandoline blade a year or so ago, that was getting dull quite fast!

47 and whatever it says in the post counter

Reaction score

Prepping for my first backpacking trip out in the western US, and first in bear country.

And news comes out about experienced backpackers in Canada getting eaten by a bear.

Wonderful.

Also RIP, that has to be one of the worst and most terrifying ways to go in North America outside of being kidnapped by someone with ill intent or via aneurysms. Backcountry is still a movie that scars me.

HumbleHomeCook

KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

Prepping for my first backpacking trip out in the western US, and first in bear country.

And news comes out about experienced backpackers in Canada getting eaten by a bear.

Wonderful.

Also RIP, that has to be one of the worst and most terrifying ways to go in North America outside of being kidnapped by someone with ill intent or via aneurysms. Backcountry is still a movie that scars me.

I have never felt smaller then being confronted by a brown bear sow on her hind legs looking at me about 30 yards away in some thick Alaskan brush. She dropped down and stomped and snapped and I figured we were in serious trouble. The pistol on my hip suddenly felt like a cap gun. Luckily she turned and crashed off through the bush.

The moose were actually more dangerous and I had my share of encounters with them too but that bear... Woosh...

Reaction score

I have never felt smaller then being confronted by a brown bear sow on her hind legs looking at me about 30 yards away in some thick Alaskan brush. She dropped down and stomped and snapped and I figured we were in serious trouble. The pistol on my hip suddenly felt like a cap gun. Luckily she turned and crashed off through the bush.

The moose were actually more dangerous and I had my share of encounters with them too but that bear... Woosh...
Yeah that’d make me **** enough bricks to lay a house. I know ticks and mice are more likely to mess up a trip, but at least they aren’t taller than me…

HumbleHomeCook

KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah that’d make me **** enough bricks to lay a house. I know ticks and mice are more likely to mess up a trip, but at least they aren’t taller than me…

I don't know where you're headed but I've stomped around quite a bit of the west and lived in Alaska for almost five years. Negative encounters are extremely rare.