KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’m feeling a lil spicy tonight. Win or lose, I’m gonna have FEELINGS about this Celtics game.

Whats yalls usually routine for wooden cutting board maintenance?
6274 I moved over to grapeseed oil a couple of years ago and still have no regrets.
Personally I prefer to use something I wouldn't mind using as an ingredient rather than a petroleum product that's at best used as a laxative...

As for day to day cleanup...the big ones that don't simply see cleanup after use won't be used for meat, so usually I just do a quick rubdown with some paper. Every now and then I'll use salt and lemon juice to sanitize it (can use vinegar but the smell makes me gag).

Generally speaking the amount of oiling you do is inversely related to the amount of washing you do with soap, since non-hardening oils will simply get washed out. That's also one of my pet peeves with mineral oil; it washes out so easily.
People solve that with board butter, but then what you're doing is simply cutting on a layer of wax and adding that to your food.

I never understood the enthusiasm for boo's 'mystery oil'. If a manufacturer wants to keep the composition a mystery I lose all desire to have their product anywhere near my food... ;)

Last edited:

It's bloody freezing cold around here. 10 ºC overnight 🥶

Time to make some pea and ham soup.

It's bloody freezing cold around here. 10 ºC overnight 🥶

Time to make some pea and ham soup.
We’re having our second unseasonably early Heat Dome event of the season and are staring down the twin barrels of a third. Kissed 45° last week.

1718332835100.png

We’re having our second unseasonably early Heat Dome event of the season and are staring down the twin barrels of a third. Kissed 45° last week.

Where about is this?

We get these, too. Not that often. But we do hit 45 ºC every few years during a heat wave :(

Where about is this?

We get these, too. Not that often. But we do hit 45 ºC every few years during a heat wave :(
near Mojave in the ______ Desert

last year we had a 49° day, and with La Niña officially on, I wonder what we’ll see over the next 90 days.

1718335429593.jpeg

Last edited:
As far as appliances are concerned, I think it suffers all the same problems as a Swiss Army knife. It's a serviceable food processor, a serviceable mixer, a serviceable slow cooker, etc., but it doesn't do any of these things anywhere near as well as separate appliances.

At the risk of upsetting people who already have a Thermomix, if you are considering one, this is probably worth watching first. It is long, and there is a fair bit of sarcasm, but I think it does get to the heart of what is wrong with this appliance. As America's Test Kitchen pointed out, you can buy a really high-quality food processor, stand mixer, and blender for a fraction of the cost of a Thermomix.

Spent the whole day working the annoyingly deep stock scratches out of this Mazaki, then stropped the tip straight into my wooden table as I was about to test it on a carrot before finishing up for the day…

****!

View attachment 328936

Found the tip in the dining table whilst eating dinner, felt like my day was ruined all over again 🥲

A couple years ago I took my GF snapper fishing as her first offshore experience. Did good, filled up the cooler with some big ARS and loaded that into the backseat of my Corolla for the hourish drive home. Only issue was I had washed the cooler out the other day and had forgotten to put the drain plug back in. Didn't realize my mistake until the following day when I opened my door and was hit with a wall of decomposing fish stench. Slime and blood had leaked deep into my backseats and in the Houston heat of July had immediately fermented. I had to drive that car to work for several days before I could get it to my friend's carwash for a deep clean and an ozone nuking. I will never make that mistake again, that smell is burned into my brain.

Last edited:

"Chef, can you make the Chipotle sauce? I don't think I'll have time to get to it." - Me

"What do you mean?" - Executive Chef

"What do you mean 'what do I mean'? I'm low on the sauce, I have a bunch of prep. No one did any prep this morning (because Executive Chef was the only one here to do it earlier today 🤦‍♂️). Can you make the Chipotle sauce??? 🙃" - Me

"Sure." - Executive Chef

Back