KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

BillHanna

Tangle my rec, baby. You know how I like it.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was hoping for something "messier".

anyways

I got some "summer corn" ice cream from a local shop. It tasted like Screaming Yellow Zonkers, if you're familiar. As I'm taking my last bite The Wife says, "How was your corn on the cob ice cream?" How To Ruin An Experience In Nine Words Or Less. It was still delicious, though.

1663162118860.png

HumbleHomeCook

Whiskey for my men. Beer for my horses.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm at a point of of being almost completely turned off as soon as any "broadcast" chef says to save your scraps of whatever you cut for stock.

I mean, yeah, I get it and it can be true but it just feels so contrived any more. I have never seen any of those same cooks pull out a bag of veggie scraps and chicken wingtips and use them in their recipes. I wonder just how many practice what they preach at home?

Pro kitchen I get as they're so cost conscious.

Anyways, my whine of the day I reckon. ;)

Michi

I'm having a status just so I don't have no status
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do that and I've never been on TV....

Might be time for a career change then? Start your own cooking channel…

I don't do the veggie scrap saving thing either. I find that, for vegetable stock, the powdered or ready-to-use stock is generally fine.

I do make my own beef and chicken stock though. The pre-made and powdered versions are just not as good.

Reaction score
#1,850

I'm at a point of of being almost completely turned off as soon as any "broadcast" chef says to save your scraps of whatever you cut for stock.

I guess a commercial kitchen will accumulate scraps really quickly? We dont. Saving a few carrot peels and onion tops is hardly worth it. They would be pretty miserable by the time we had enough scraps to make a decent stock....

But we do compost! We store a small bin for vegetable scraps in the fridge. When that gets full (about once a week), I transfer the scraps to the compost bin in our courtyard. I take this opportunity to turn the compost. It reduces our rubbish a fair bit.... it also keeps the worms happy. For people who have the space... this is a pretty low effort way of recycling scraps.

esoo

living the patina
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

If I were to store vegetable scraps. I would do it in the freezer. I occasionally do keep chicken parts in the freezer to throw in the pot when making stock.

As for compost, we have municipal composting. Bucket (with bag) on the counter, that gets transferred to container in garage when full, and the garage container goes out for pickup once per week. I do get amazed at how heavy that bucket gets some weeks.

deltaplex

Reaction score

We save both meat and non-meat scraps in the freezer and when the bins are full then it gets turned into pressure stock. There are 6 people here though, so I'd imagine if it were one or two of us that the progress would be quite a bit slower. We've also got a compost system - 1/3rd size hotel pan on counter top-> 5 gal bucket in garage -> pile out by the sheds for food/yard/carpentry waste

Last edited:

HumbleHomeCook

Whiskey for my men. Beer for my horses.
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am absolutely not against saving stuff for stock, soups, etc. I used to do it fairly routinely but I have limited freezer space and just finally decided that making batches of stock took up room that I could better use for other things. But if we ever get a supplemental freezer, I'll probably make stock like crazy!

My qualm was with seemingly every on-air cook saying it every time they cut something. I suspect many (majority ?) don't actually do it that often at home and it feels to me like it has become more of an obligatory thing to say to make them appear to be quite waste conscious.

Reaction score

I am absolutely not against saving stuff for stock, soups, etc. I used to do it fairly routinely but I have limited freezer space and just finally decided that making batches of stock took up room that I could better use for other things. But if we ever get a supplemental freezer, I'll probably make stock like crazy!

My qualm was with seemingly every on-air cook saying it every time they cut something. I suspect many (majority ?) don't actually do it that often at home and it feels to me like it has become more of an obligatory thing to say to make them appear to be quite waste conscious.

#1,854

Agreed! That's why we compost instead. While I don't consider us to be wealthy...we're nowhere near poor either. Perhaps a reflection of this 'largess' is that I just use fresh whole vegetables on the odd occasion I have made stock!! And I dont have any guilt in doing so...

ch_br

Careful man, there's a beverage here...
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm gonna start posting here..

Was doing the math yesterday..

We would need approximately about 550 members to post here daily for 5 years to hit 1MM posts

Sorry if this is upsetting.. But I'll try to add to the count 😜