KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pets become family, I'm very sorry for all your losses. I too had to let go of my cat back in November. She was a rescue cat that was found cut and burnt and had a broken leg. Took a while to get her back to full health but she was always the sweetest (and most spoiled) cat ever.
She was six when we started noticing a growing lump on her belly.
We opted for surgery to try and save her but the tumor was too agressive and had already spread, there was nothing we could do.

IMG-20170130-WA0036.jpg

I'm sorry about your losses. Our cat of 15 years has lung cancer and we aren't sure how much longer he'll be with us. It's costing us about 1 grand a month on chemo and medicine but he is like a son to us so we gotta do what we can.

Someone once told me the bond between you and a pet is unlike any other relationships because they are completely open and unguarded against you. No hidden agenda, no selfish plans, they are just there with/for you.

So sorry about everyone‘s losses here. Lost my first cat to kidney failure about twelve years ago, she died in my arms on the way to the vet and I still miss this crazy little girl.
I know it’s kind of selfish but I’m really happy my two cats (both 11) are well except for some orthopedic issues due to their age and genetic factors.
Pets become part of your family, regardless of how old they grow, and every loss is a tragedy.

So sorry about everyone‘s losses here. Lost my first cat to kidney failure about twelve years ago, she died in my arms on the way to the vet and I still miss this crazy little girl.
I know it’s kind of selfish but I’m really happy my two cats (both 11) are well except for some orthopedic issues due to their age and genetic factors.
Pets become part of your family, regardless of how old they grow, and every loss is a tragedy.
I'm happy for you, my girlfriend's cat is turning 16. Grumpy old man.
And not to take from the moment but your post should be #1353. Mine now is 1354

I completed my masters degree. I'm now a Master of Science in Supply Chain Management. Went out to celebrate with dinner at Marchal in Copenhagen.

Bloody Mary oysters, chicken skin wrapped foie gras with apricot confit, king crab in creme fraiche on a cracker with caviar.
IMG-20190614-WA0008.jpg

Squid in champagne butter and caviar.
IMG-20190615-WA0003.jpg

Pigeon and foie gras with pistachios in puff pastry served with raspberries and radicchio as well as a whole roast pigeon leg and kidney or heart.

IMG_20190614_195025.jpg

I completed my masters degree. I'm now a Master of Science in Supply Chain Management. Went out to celebrate with dinner at Marchal in Copenhagen.

Bloody Mary oysters, chicken skin wrapped foie gras with apricot confit, king crab in creme fraiche on a cracker with caviar.
View attachment 55105

Squid in champagne butter and caviar.
View attachment 55106

Pigeon and foie gras with pistachios in puff pastry served with raspberries and radicchio as well as a whole roast pigeon leg and kidney or heart.

View attachment 55107

Congrats! Quite a meal!

New sous chef started at the restaurant I work at. Very very impressive, spent 5 years at Maison pic and 3 years before that at Paul bocuse. Watching him cook has taught me a lot. But it also driving me F**KING INSANE how he refuses to use any other knife than a victorinox bread knife.
I've seen him do everything with it, and it somehow works, but my brains just can't process what it sees.

New sous chef started at the restaurant I work at. Very very impressive, spent 5 years at Maison pic and 3 years before that at Paul bocuse. Watching him cook has taught me a lot. But it also driving me F**KING INSANE how he refuses to use any other knife than a victorinox bread knife.
I've seen him do everything with it, and it somehow works, but my brains just can't process what it sees.

I've worked with people like this too. The only way to change their mind is to set up a board next to their station and smash out a job much faster and at a higher quality than they've ever seen before. If they notice, lend them a good knife and let it do the talking.
It's not guaranteed to work though, some chefs consider learning good knife skills to be as useful as learning to become a better dishwasher...

I've worked with people like this too. The only way to change their mind is to set up a board next to their station and smash out a job much faster and at a higher quality than they've ever seen before. If they notice, lend them a good knife and let it do the talking.
It's not guaranteed to work though, some chefs consider learning good knife skills to be as useful as learning to become a better dishwasher...
That's exactly what I did!
Was making some fennel soup and went through 15 pounds of the stuff in no time. He was impressed. Later he was near my station and used the munetoshi I was using to go through some parsley. He minced part of it, stopped and looked at the knife, said holy sh** that's sharp, and continued working. Hopefully he'll soon be converted ;)

A photo I took that does not have a knife, but still neat.

66717896_2573942472617576_6381479429352194048_n.jpg

No drinking from an ornamental pond but I did do something nearly as dumb.

I had some pork that was one day from expiration. I marinated it in crushed garlic and thyme and then did a 2 hour sous vide at 60c. Then I put it in the fridge to sear later. Forgot about it for five days. Then I found it again, did the smell test (just smelled like garlic and thyme) seared it and ate it. It was a mistake. It had gone bad.

Been puking for three days now. Can't keep anything down.

My commiserations. Yes, the smell test isn't always reliable, especially if there are lots of spices involved. I guess the good news is that you only think that you will die, but you won't actually die…

I hope you'll get better quickly!

I went to the doctor. Just told me to drink lots water and try to eat small amounts of inoffensive food like plain bread.

Back