KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upload_2020-1-25_12-15-15.png

Happy New Year to all celebrating the Lunar New Year.

Welcome the Rat!

Last edited:

At 11 pm last night it was 38.4 celcius (101.1f), after a max of 46 (115f). Insanely hot weather for that time of night.

Now it's 7 am and 32.5 C (90.5f).

It's gonna be a pretty bad fire day in the region between Canberra and Cooma today. Hope everyone keeps safe up there.

At 11 pm last night it was 38.4 celcius (101.1f), after a max of 46 (115f). Insanely hot weather for that time of night.

Dont forget the humidity... the minimum was a full nine degrees cooler where I was (29 Celsius) but the humidity was 70%.... with no air conditioning...

It's gonna be a pretty bad fire day in the region between Canberra and Cooma today. Hope everyone keeps safe up there.

Some pretty crazy photos of southern Canberra out there...

Dont forget the humidity... the minimum was a full nine degrees cooler where I was (29 Celsius) but the humidity was 70%.... with no air conditioning...

Some pretty crazy photos of southern Canberra out there...

Yeah, it was not quite as humid here- around 50% I think- but still far too humid for the swampy to work.

There have just been so many terrible fires this year.

Yeah, it was not quite as humid here- around 50% I think- but still far too humid for the swampy to work.

There have just been so many terrible fires this year.

Geeze.... that is dry.

Despite it being so humid here... the bush is dry. I guess the sun evaporates water from the sea and that blows into the coastal cities - but that doesn't put any moisture in the soil. I had to go south-west for work last week. It was the worst of both worlds. On top of the baseline humidity, they had a few mill of rain the weekend before. The sun was baking that out the soil. It was terrible! Probably around 34/36 and 70% or more humidity. Everyone I was with was dripping with sweat!

Still... I visited Canberra over Christmas. Dry. Dry. Dry. Every patch of grass was burnt brown. The bush looked so thin. It was clearly a tinderbox waiting to go up. The army really need better fire risk evaluation processes...

Geeze.... that is dry.

Despite it being so humid here... the bush is dry. I guess the sun evaporates water from the sea and that blows into the coastal cities - but that doesn't put any moisture in the soil. I had to go south-west for work last week. It was the worst of both worlds. On top of the baseline humidity, they had a few mill of rain the weekend before. The sun was baking that out the soil. It was terrible! Probably around 34/36 and 70% or more humidity. Everyone I was with was dripping with sweat!

Still... I visited Canberra over Christmas. Dry. Dry. Dry. Every patch of grass was burnt brown. The bush looked so thin. It was clearly a tinderbox waiting to go up. The army really need better fire risk evaluation processes...

It's been much drier. For example, it's 28% humidity here at the moment, and it's been drier. A bit windy too, but only 25C today.

Yeah, the army have had a bit of a bad run causing bushfires over the last couple of years. In their defence (pun not intended) this time, it was the first time that a helicopter's landing light has ever started a bushfire. It's not like last time when they were doing artillery practice the day before an extreme fire danger day.

It's been much drier. For example, it's 28% humidity here at the moment, and it's been drier. A bit windy too

Quite insane! Adding wind to dry air just whips any moisture away. Stay hydrated!

In their defence (pun not intended) this time, it was the first time that a helicopter's landing light has ever started a bushfire.

Yeah... I was a little unfair. Until things like this happen it might not be immediately obvious they pose a risk.

It's not like last time when they were doing artillery practice the day before an extreme fire danger day.

THIS was just short-sighted and arrogant. They did not have adequate fire plans or risk assessment. Nor was the fire service able to help immediately for fear (quite rightly) about operating in an area possibly littered live munitions!

#1419...

Out of coincidence... I just noticed. The forum software tells me that THIS aught to be my 500th message :upsidedownspin:

As crazy as it sounds, this is my 7000-th post. I have been around for a while, talk a lot and as a mod I obviously make some extra posts, but still ... I should get some life or something :D

Just sending a PM and realized today's my KKF anniversary. Thinking back, in terms of kitchen knife knowledge, skills, and equipment: I have improved more in this past year than I have in the past 20yrs, as a result of joining this forum and engaging with the community here. I owe a debt of gratitude at the least.

This is an amazing community and I am humbled to share company with so many kind and knowledgeable people. I have enjoyed incredible improvements in my sharpening skills and equipment simply from spending time reading and participating on KKF (well... a couple hundred hours of practice didn't hurt). Found some amazing blades and stones here too!

Deep gratitude to those who facilitate and maintain this incredible resource... thank you for making "this" happen! And much respect to those who take time to share their wisdom and advise others.

Which one of the three :oops:, three Michelin stars in Maastricht, wow, where are the days that Toine Hermsen ruled Maastricht ;-)

Rantree apparently, never heard of it, Toine I know, Beluga too, tot a fait is new to me too
At the moment Maatricht is a bit of a journey for me, so Treeswijckhoeve is as far south as we usually get to go :)

Last edited:
Back