KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’ve accepted I’m simply inept at sharpening. Maybe one day science can cure me. Maybe one day I’ll break down and buy a jig. Until then here’s a video of cliff stamp out sharpening me with a literal bloody brick

Don't stress it friend. You CAN do it. Putting too much pressure on yourself will only complicate things. Relax.

Maybe start a thread in the Sharpening sub-forum asking for help and direction. Tell the folks what you're observing and such. Great people who love to help. :)

I’ve accepted I’m simply inept at sharpening. Maybe one day science can cure me. Maybe one day I’ll break down and buy a jig. Until then here’s a video of cliff stamp out sharpening me with a literal bloody brick

The trick about sharpening is to rub your knife across a stone at a fixed angle Wobble is the killer.

The greatest thing I did for my sharpening was to figure out what allowed me to hold the angle consistent as I moved the knife. For me that was sharpening like Kramer (long strokes across the whole blade). I may not be as good as the top sharpeners, but my knives scare my family and make me happy.

A tiny bit of wobble is unavoidable when hand sharpening. The more control it, the better but no doubt you can have a degree or two of variation and still have good edge, especially on thinner knives with harder steel. I'm not advocating sloppiness by any means just saying not to get too freaked out.

It’s also much easier to learn on tiny knives (under 210s). I would not try to start out on a proper 270 or 300mm knife.

I actually don't like to recommend people going down too small, like a paring knife. I know that's common but I find the the smaller the knife the less stable. I also like knives with a little bit of height.

Agreed though on the extra long stuff.

2709 Ever since I heard that convex edges are better anyway I completely stopped giving a damn about going out of my way to perfectly hold the same specific angle. Doesn't seem to have negatively affected my results...

I'm sure you can figure it out man..

Sharpening is mostly a matter of knowledge, strict form, practice, and patience,

One of the things some people tend to miss (or overlook) with sharpening: how much of the overall success of the entire sharpening process hinges on the first grit.

The further you take this grit to refinement, the easier and more compounding each subsequent grit is.

Say you're starting at 1k and you don't set the tone for overall sharpening by:
  • removing the micro chips
  • removing all glinting from the edge of the blade for apex alignment
  • shaping the Apex to 3/4 the finish product
  • removing as much of the burr as possible..

Then any and all subsequent grits will seem quite ineffective and slow to make further improvement.

The more you accomplish with first grit; the better off, and easier, everything else is in the knife sharpening process.

Last edited:
One of the things people often miss is how much of the sharpening process hinges on the first grit.

The further you take this grit to refinement, the easier and more compounding each subsequent grit is.

If you touch up at 1k and barely touch shape the Apex and remove the micro chips and the burr.. Then any and all subsequent grits will be slow to show further improvement.

The more you can do with the first grit they better off, and easier, everything else is.
2710 This is exactly what I always did wrong at the beginning. I used to move up to higher grit way too fast, thinking it'd actually get sharp on the higher grits. Nope... it should be proper sharp after the mid-grit.

HER (looking at a @JoBone IG post on my phone): This one is beautiful. This piece is called a bolster right?

ME: Close. Bolsters are metal and a little different. That's called a ferrule.

HER: What's the difference? Why are they called different things when it's just the end of the handle?

ME: Hmmm... (grab a couple different knives)... Think of a bolster as just that, bolstering the handle. It's metal and sorta adding strength to what might otherwise be a weak spot in this type of handle. Ferrules are cosmetic. (Discuss tangs and wa vs. western construction).

HER: So is the blade and the bolster all one piece?

ME: They used to be but now only on expensive stuff.

HER: Interesting. I'll forget but the more I hear it the more I remember.

:)

Sorry @ch_br, I can't post too often to your thread as mine has begun enjoying learning. She'll never get too deep but I reckon after 30+yrs around a knife nut she's finally surrendering some.

2714 Ferrules aren't just cosmetic. And there's plenty of Sabs with a metal ferrule. ;)

Re wobble, there was a guy on Reddit recently who'd come up with a neat contraption that you could bolt on to the knife as you sharpen, basically an angle measure that gives feedback with coloured LEDs or a beep or something.

Then I thought, maybe … the poor man's version of that could be … get a desk lamp and position it so it reflects into your eyes when you've got the angle you want … and then sharpen with that as a reference.

Extra points for not slicing the power cord.

Idea thanks to Ed Fredkin, who once told a story from when he used to fly for the Air Force. They were doing zero-G experiments and wanted him to basically fly free-fall, in an early iteration of the "Vomit Comet". So they put a super complicated multi-axis accelerometer gadget into the cockpit with all kinds of dials and spinners so he would know when he was free-falling correctly.

Next flight, he got into the cockpit, got up to altitude, and turned the gadget off. Then he took a pencil eraser out of his pocket, let it go in front of his face, and – in his words – "just flew in formation with the eraser."

Last edited:

This is the same guy, BTW, who gave us Fredkin's Paradox

"The more equally attractive two alternatives seem, the harder it can be to choose between them—no matter that, to the same degree, the choice can only matter less."

... which should make him the patron saint of KKF "which knife should I buy" threads.

Last edited:

I'm sure you can figure it out man..

Sharpening is mostly a matter of knowledge, strict form, practice, and patience,

One of the things some people tend to miss (or overlook) with sharpening: how much of the overall success of the entire sharpening process hinges on the first grit.

If you touch up at 1k and don't set the tone for overall sharpening by
  • removing the micro chips
  • removing all glinting from the edge of the blade for apex alignment
  • shaping the Apex to 3/4 the finish product
  • removing as much of the burr as possible..

Then any and all subsequent grits will prove difficult and slow to make further improvement.

The more you accomplish with first grit; the better off, and easier, everything else is in the knife sharpening process.

Cliff's video is a perfect example that (knowledge) understanding what is happening during the different stages of sharpening and applying those procedures--even to an imperfect sharpening media-- can produce solid or better results.

Frequent small boxes delivered by DHL can become much less of an issue if DHL occasionally brings small boxes from Aubade.

"Chef, do you like repeating yourself?" - Cook

"No! I hate it! I hate telling the same person the same thing over and over and over and over....like I'm a skipping record. I don't understand why I have to repeat myself about the same things." - Me

"Me too." - Cook

"🥴🫠😐" - Me

"So do you know what's wrong with it?" - Cook to Maintenance Guy

"Not yet, I just started looking at it. 😐" - Maintenance Guy

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm 🤔🤔🤔":

Checking the 'bay (via the Canadian site) for "vintage carbon knife". 4 sellers, clearly the same person as photo backgrounds are identical, all around for 10 or so years, all with 2K+ sales and all with 100% seller ratings.

Something seems a little strange there.

Re wobble, there was a guy on Reddit recently who'd come up with a neat contraption that you could bolt on to the knife as you sharpen, basically an angle measure that gives feedback with coloured LEDs or a beep or something.

Then I thought, maybe … the poor man's version of that could be … get a desk lamp and position it so it reflects into your eyes when you've got the angle you want … and then sharpen with that as a reference.

Extra points for not slicing the power cord.

Idea thanks to Ed Fredkin, who once told a story from when he used to fly for the Air Force. They were doing zero-G experiments and wanted him to basically fly free-fall, in an early iteration of the "Vomit Comet". So they put a super complicated multi-axis accelerometer gadget into the cockpit with all kinds of dials and spinners so he would know when he was free-falling correctly.

Next flight, he got into the cockpit, got up to altitude, and turned the gadget off. Then he took a pencil eraser out of his pocket, let it go in front of his face, and – in his words – "just flew in formation with the eraser."

The "poor mans" freehand guide: Hapstone T1 Adjustable Angle Guide for Knives

My sympathies. If I may make a recommendation – I have experienced good relief with this genre of product. https://amzn.eu/d/aRGaTJB

Thanks

My personal situation is complicated by a number of medications that I currently on. Every one has headaches as a potential side effect so it has been "fun". The underlying issue will hopefully resolved by surgery in the very near future.

2730:

Appreciate the sharpening advice all! Been experimenting with a new method of sweeping the entire blade while maintaining edge leading strokes. The motion looks like I have Parkinson’s, but it seems to have decent results so far and feels easier to maintain the angle versus the edge leading sections I was doing previously. Definitely have a bit more wobble in the process I need to work out though.

Am I working? Yeah this is working on a Monday with a migraine

Not sure how busy your schedule is, but the one thing I’ve found that helps keep migraines from going on for a few days (beyond the normal hydrate, excedrin extra strength ) is get a wash cloth wet, toss in the freezer to get it cold. Then put it on the base of the neck and lay somewhere dark until it’s not cold any longer. Not necessarily a cure all, but it definitely seems to help by constricting blood flow.

Back