KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As a lefty, the knife market blows chunks. Retailers list knives as ambidextrous which they technically are, but for the lefty are no better than anything German. They'll have a great right convex, but for the left side will be either flat ground or so little convex that they might as well be flat ground.

Compound that with the fact that anything "interesting" sells out in seconds. No chance to check a choil shot to see if it may be suitable for me to try it. End result as a lefty I may be spending excessive money on a knife that isn't suited for me.

I've gotten lucky with a few knives, but it's gotten tiring. Especially when you hear about western makers that have just as biased grinds as the Japanese.

Retailers aren't going to be honest about it. Not in their interest.

Old man tilting as windmills as they say. Ultimately though it's destroying my interest in chasing knives.

I know it isn't as sexy, but give factory brands a try. Akifusa, Tsunehisa, etc. in my experience are pretty 50/50. I understand you lose out on the benefits of asymmetric grinds that way but you get much better steels and way better grinds than German offerings.

Is that something you'd be interested in?

Only 10% of the people are wrong handed, just not a big enough market to get excited over.... Better business sense to keep the 90% happy. ;) :p

I know it isn't as sexy, but give factory brands a try. Akifusa, Tsunehisa, etc. in my experience are pretty 50/50. I understand you lose out on the benefits of asymmetric grinds that way but you get much better steels and way better grinds than German offerings.

Is that something you'd be interested in?

My biggest problem with many of those is that they are from thin stock (<2mm). I've had enough knives in my hands that I know I like spines over 2.5mm at the heel

Fair.

I would seriously recommend working with Matt. He'll sort you out.

Yeah, I've had one knife from Matt and he did deliver.

I have a rough idea of what I want my next custom to be. It's just planning to get there budget wise as I do want it in a more expensive steel like Z-Wear.

I guess we are pretty close to the worst day of the year. But surely KKF isn’t just about conspicuous consumption???!

A community organized around spending thousands on knives essentially because they have a different makers mark, or on random rocks because they are ‘different’ and may save us 15 minutes when we thin every 6 months?

No, I don’t think there’s any room for that holiday in these hallowed halls 😁

Granddaughter had to video call for some last minute room cleaning inspiration. I showed her the berries and cherry tomatoes and.......peanut butter cookies that I have for her. Mom says she's doing good now.

Blood pressure medication
Bone spur caused by arthritis
Adding fiber to my diet
All in the year I turn 50

le sigh
Mine was 54

Mild hart attack, add stint, blood thinners, and cholesterol meds even though my cholesterol is low my weight is only 150lb and I still get plenty of exercise, just bad genetics I guess. The bright side to it all is my nutritionist said I need to go on a Mediterranean diet, which is actually when I started cooking more and led to my knife and sharpening obsession.

Mine was 54

Mild hart attack, add stint, blood thinners, and cholesterol meds even though my cholesterol is low my weight is only 150lb and I still get plenty of exercise, just bad genetics I guess. The bright side to it all is my nutritionist said I need to go on a Mediterranean diet, which is actually when I started cooking more and led to my knife and sharpening obsession.

Any source you recommend for recipes? My parents expressed an interest in moving to it since they’re moving up in the years.

I’m gonna witch about it here, so I’m not outwardly aggressive.

I hate your b&w pics of your razors. Why not color? That’s stupid. This isn’t a photography class. Just take the picture of your razor.

Last edited:

I’m gonna ***** about it here, so I’m not outwardly aggressive.

I hate your b&w pics of your razors. Why not color? That’s stupid. This isn’t a photography class. Just take the picture of your razor.

Thank you!
Also, I hate when y'all take photos with the knife resting on your forearm pointed towards the camera. Why are you doing this? Does it make you feel cool or something? This wack *** distorted angle is not helping me evaluate the knife, and now I have to look at your nasty arms. Just stop it

If you’re familiar with LazyTown….

Robbie Rotten is not a villain. He’s just a man who wants the peace and quiet he’s always had. Sportacus is a rabble rouser.

Any source you recommend for recipes? My parents expressed an interest in moving to it since they’re moving up in the years.

Can’t say I’ve found on particular source, I’ve just taken recipes that looked good to me from sources online. Then try to change them to my liking with local ingredients. In this way we have managed to collect a good deal of recipes, but to be honest the Mediterranean diet is pretty simple overall. I have not found any recipe books that I really like.

I shipped my first package to Canada today. It was dead simple and I now feel bad for leaving non-US folks out of my past sales. I imagined sending international was much more involved.

It isn't. Like, at all.

The form you have to fill out, and yep, you can even still get it there at the Post Office and use an actual pen, is about a third of piece of paper. Receiver's info, your info, what's in the box and how much.

That's it.

Other carriers may be different but USPS was no big deal.

I shipped my first package to Canada today. It was dead simple and I now feel bad for leaving non-US folks out of my past sales. I imagined sending international was much more involved.

It isn't. Like, at all.

The form you have to fill out, and yep, you can even still get it there at the Post Office and use an actual pen, is about a third of piece of paper. Receiver's info, your info, what's in the box and how much.

That's it.

Other carriers may be different but USPS was no big deal.

Pretty much the same thing Canada to US. You can do the whole thing at home. Only time you need to do stuff at the post office is when you want insurance

Latest posts

Back