KKF in japanese

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DutchCook

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to write 'Kitchen Knife Forums' in Japanese? I want to engrave it on one of my knives which I get to make with help from KKF.
Im also not sure if its best to write in Katakana or Hiragana. Any thoughts are welcome.

Devil's advocate: Unless it's a single-bevel knife, why not translate it into Dutch since your location is "NL"?

Devil's advocate: Unless it's a single-bevel knife, why not translate it into Dutch since your location is "NL"?
In Dutch it doesnt sound very nice and it is still a long string of text 'Keukenmes Forums".

It is not exactly a Japanese knife. It is a reused cheap western stainless steel blade reshaped to something resembling a small rocking santoku, I think. It will have a Japanese-style handle on it and, when it has this japanese look, it would look right to have Japanese characters on it.
Also this forum is obviousely a knowledge center for Japanese knives, and it is a nice way to remember what I have learned about Japanese knives at KKF, everytime I look at my knife.

Try google translate

The above translation is correct. It reads 'Hocho' in Kanji and 'forum' in Katakana. Hocho is specific to a kitchen knife in Japanese so it is about as good of a translation as any and far better than a machine translation will provide. If this is going to be a laser engraved it might look ok but I would be concerned about a westerner using a chisel to approximate these characters. Each character has a specific stroke order. If you chisel it using the wrong stroke order a native speaker would certainly be able to read it but they might think the engraver failed to graduate from primary school. I suppose the importance of that would depend on the where and who the knife was intended for.

Latest posts

Back